Tattoo Creams!

greenpixie

Tattoo Creams!

Post by greenpixie » Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:22 am

List your expirences with creams here!
I like alot of others use dream cream and co co lotion by lush because I have had alot of bad rections to creams recocomented by tattooists and tattoo magazines.
Last edited by greenpixie on Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
**Love Lust and Zombie dust**

AdrenaLynny

Re: Tattoo Creams!

Post by AdrenaLynny » Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:43 am

I always use eucerin aquifer. Its slightly greasy at first, but within minutes it is normal, but hydrated for hours without reapplication. It cuts my healing time in half, but I guess its because its also used for radiation burns and stuff too.
Cunning Stunt.

ShadowThrone

Post by ShadowThrone » Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:14 am

I heard of people using Lush and it made their new ink very angry! :?

With aftercare, its kinda based on what works for you. I absolutely love Lush but I think I'll stick to what I know works when healing my tattoos for now ;)
greenpixie wrote: A lot of you may already know of this, or even tried this, some may not have even thought of it because tattooists don't usually recommend alternative after care because they sell certain brands.
That's a bit of a sweeping statement! I've never come across that personally.

greenpixie

Post by greenpixie » Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:03 pm

It varies from person to person i suppose, everyones skin is diffrent, Ive never heard of anyone having a negative expirence with lush moisturisers :( its a shame your friend had a bad reaction.
I used to use bepanthen which most tattooists recommend, its good but it never helped with the itchyness and the healing time is longer in comparison.

AdrenaLynny

Post by AdrenaLynny » Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:17 pm

Yeah....looking at the ingredient list I dont think I would want rose water, chamomile or lavender near an open wound. Tattoos are basically big open wounds. Dont put anything on them you wouldnt put on say.. a massive road rash wound or severe burn. No petroleum jelly, no perfumed lotions, nothing irritating.
Cunning Stunt.

ShadowThrone

Post by ShadowThrone » Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:20 pm

The itching is normal though. I've always been a fast healer, but the cutting the time doesn't really interest me, it will be ready when its ready ;)

It would probably be ok to use the Lush creams when initial healing is over. I always switch to cocoa butter after a week to nine days personally. I've healed all my tattoos with Acriflex, then cocoa butter.

greenpixie

Post by greenpixie » Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:46 pm

AdrenaLynny wrote:Yeah....looking at the ingredient list I dont think I would want rose water, chamomile or lavender near an open wound. Tattoos are basically big open wounds. Dont put anything on them you wouldnt put on say.. a massive road rash wound or severe burn. No petroleum jelly, no perfumed lotions, nothing irritating.
Ive never had any problems with either dream cream or co co lotion. even reading some of the customer reviews have positive things to say about both creams :) Like i said i know alot of heavily tattood people and tattooists whi also use these creams and they have not had any negative reactions.

AdrenaLynny

Post by AdrenaLynny » Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:40 pm

Lavender in lotions has been shown to cause allergic contact dermatitis. Chamomile is not very safe to use for anyone allergic to ragweed or daisies. Pineapple juice, anise, nutmeg etc on an open wound? No. These things are no safe for an open wound. The other thing that worries me is the fact that it is an open tub. Bacteria can brew in those like crazy. Once the initial heal is over, then people who arent sensitive to things could use it, but not before. Im not trying to be mean, or say the product doesnt have its merits, but telling people its wonderful to use on what is basically an open wound is not a good thing to do. As for listening to what tattoo artists tell you....thats iffy at best. Ive had some artists tell me to not wash the tattoo at all, and no that is a bad idea. I have had an artist tell me to use neosporin on a tattoo, and that is also not the best idea. Some tell you to use "tattoo goo" and that causes reactions all the time in people. Typically you should avoid beeswax, lanolin and common allergens in aftercare products. A&D ointment is good, bacitracin is good for some but can cause a weepy tattoo. I prefer Aquaphor because aside from the fact that it is very very very gentle, it is used for things like treating burns and radiation burns, it helps with eczema, and also contains a bit of sun screen. Plus you can get it in tube form.
Cunning Stunt.

fustmuffin

Post by fustmuffin » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:01 pm

I wouldn't recommend dream cream for a fresh tattoo at all! I used it once (just on my skin, not on a tattoo) and it brought me out in a bit of a rash, so there would be no way I'd recommend it to my clients for their fresh tattoos. I think it's always best to follow what your tattooist has told you to do with your fresh ink... chances are they have probably spent years testing (on their own tattoos) what works best. and probably carry that brand in their shop because it works!!

greenpixie

Post by greenpixie » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:43 pm

All i can say is mysel has had ver positive expirences with both dream cream and coco lotion, I also know many other peole who also have very good expirences with tattoos, these people are all heavily tattooed, 4 of which are tattoo aprentices, and a number of tattooistsalso use these creams on their own tattoos, these are also very exirenced tattooists!
I was basing tis thread on my own personal expirence with this cream which was ofcorse a positive one! everyone is diffrent and their skin works diffrently :) I tried creas reccomended by skin deep and tattoists, out of all of them dream cream and bepanthen are the only ones whch worked, howecer bepanthen just did not work as well FOR ME in comparison to dream cream.

Has anyone tried lotil cream? I tried this because there was a write up about it in skin deep and it really burnt, andi mean it stang like a begger :(

Letty

Post by Letty » Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:23 am

I use bepanthen for the first few days, then move onto E45 cream when it starts to scab and dry out.
When death sleeps, it dreams of you.

kaned_ferret

Post by kaned_ferret » Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:52 am

my last few I was given A and D cream by the tattooist, it's the same stuff that gets used for healing burns in hospitals i believe, and I have to say I was downright impressed! No scabs no nothing and healed in half the time. Onto a winner for me there!

Moody108

Post by Moody108 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:42 pm

I use bepanthen, then when it's more healed and scabby I just moisturise with non scented moisturiser.

My friend recommended Preparation H, does anyone have any expereince with this?
Never trust someone who's gonna live forever, they don't have enough to lose
Formerly known as kikky_lou

Ice_Pick_Abortions

Post by Ice_Pick_Abortions » Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:54 pm

haemorrhoid creams tend to encourage the tattoo to scab and a lot of people have trouble with them pulling colour out. if bep is working for you i would just stick to that.
"I have had many troubles, most of which never happened." - Mark Twain
"Let us not love with words or tongue, but with actions and in truth."

In the ranks of the Indecisive Army..

Mkatsi

Post by Mkatsi » Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:01 am

I use an antiseptic spray that helps healing and keeps it clean, and then pat dry and use bpanthen. ^_^
worked well on the three I have so far, and not too much itching either.

Stilldawn

Post by Stilldawn » Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:46 am

Emu oil! I wont use anything else anymore.

Stilldawn

Post by Stilldawn » Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:53 am

For those who are interested in Emu Oil and how it works......

http://www.bodyartforms.com/productdeta ... uctID=2187

Intra_venus

Post by Intra_venus » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:50 pm

Tried Bepanthen, not mega keen, now I prefer Savlon..

I use Dream Cream on my healed black tatt as it seems to make the ik look nice and black!

Letty

Post by Letty » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:27 am

Intra_venus wrote:Tried Bepanthen, not mega keen, now I prefer Savlon..

I use Dream Cream on my healed black tatt as it seems to make the ik look nice and black!
Savlon is an anti-septic, which means it tries to draw the infection out of your skin. Its more likely to fade your colours by trying to draw them out of your skin too.

sammu

Post by sammu » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:06 am

I used Savlon on my backpiece and it's still as dark and even as the day I got it.

Lorny

Post by Lorny » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:51 am

Stilldawn wrote:For those who are interested in Emu Oil and how it works......

http://www.bodyartforms.com/productdeta ... uctID=2187

"THIS PRODUCT IS NOT VEGAN OR VEGETARIAN. "
Eurgh, nasty stuff! ;)

fustmuffin

Post by fustmuffin » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:18 am

Savlon isn't the best cream for tattoos. It is not incredibly moisturising and it can still allow a scab to form, which on a normal wound would be fantastic. However, healing a tattoo is not just about getting your skin to heal... It's about getting your skin to heal with the ink still in it.
If you have a scab on your tattoo, you are more likely to catch the scab and pull the ink away with it.
I still have no idea why people choose an artist that they trust enough let them tattoo them, pay good money for a tattoo and then not do as they are told when it comes to the aftercare.
It makes me very angry when a customer comes back wanting a free touchup on a tattoo that hasn't been looked after properly :evil:

Intra_venus

Post by Intra_venus » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:50 pm

My tattooist suggested bepanthen as number one choice, then said that some people prefer to use Savlon and that works too..

I used bepanthen on the first go, and savlon when I had it touched up, so I didnt have to worry about it fading too much. I'm still on the hunt for that perfect product really, I just started with the two most reccomended..

Letty

Post by Letty » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:44 pm

Well didn't I come off looking like a douche just then!
I was just repeating what my friend's mum told me, and she's got a few/is a nurse. Yeah, it does sound kinda silly.
I love E45 anyway!

night_wolf

Post by night_wolf » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:38 pm

Letty wrote:Well didn't I come off looking like a douche just then!
I was just repeating what my friend's mum told me, and she's got a few/is a nurse. Yeah, it does sound kinda silly.
I love E45 anyway!
No you didn't.

I have never come across salvon in terms of useage for tattooing, a fair few tattooists/nurses I know of wouldn't recommend it.

Its different for everybody, but there's no harm in putting your point across Letty!

Return to “Make-up & Skin Stuff”