Tattoo Creams!

ShadowThrone

Re: Tattoo Creams!

Post by ShadowThrone » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:06 pm

Almost every tattooist I have known would discourage using vaseline.

I spose if it works for you though.

MissAnthropik

Post by MissAnthropik » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:24 pm

ShadowThrone wrote:Almost every tattooist I have known would discourage using vaseline.

I spose if it works for you though.
Yeah, I agree, I would never tell anyone what they should or shouldn't do with their body. But I think sometimes there is an assumption that because nothing has gone wrong that it "works for you", whereas maybe you have just been lucky that nothing went wrong that time? You healed in spite of your care not because of it?
telling it like it is!

fragglelox

Post by fragglelox » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:01 pm

the first few days after my tattoo was done, my japanese tattooer gave me a mixture of vaseline with something anti-bacterial, so thats what covered that....
when i used it later, i also washed my tattoos every few hours with anti-bacterial soap. ;)

tazzyface

Post by tazzyface » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:30 am

I think it's discouraged because it forms a barrier over the skin and doesn't let it breathe properly. At least, that's why you're not meant to use it on your lips, so I imagine tattoos would be very similar :)
More human than human

fustmuffin

Post by fustmuffin » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:30 pm

MissAnthropik wrote:vaseline is not recommended for ear stretching... Is that because it is easy for bacteria to breed in? If so, I wouldn't use it on a tattoo
Exactly that Miss A!
Vaseline has nothing in it that is good for healing tattoos.

Katedra-Obscura

Post by Katedra-Obscura » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:28 pm

I agree with the Savlon cream it's gentle and keeps the skin hydrated as well as being "medicated" I have eczema and use it all the time.
Lakisha
Implexus Hair Modification : http://www.implexus.co.uk
Morbid * Nostri * Obscura * Nocti * Esoteric
Now on Tumblr http://occultobscura.tumblr.com/

toxic trish

Post by toxic trish » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:40 pm

MissAnthropik wrote:vaseline is not recommended for ear stretching... Is that because it is easy for bacteria to breed in? If so, I wouldn't use it on a tattoo
Agreed as well as there being a high risk of fading of colours from Vaseline :(
pinky wrote:i'm curious.. where i work we use zinc oxide lotion for diaper rashes and skin irritation. i wonder if it'd work well for tattoos as well? (this might be dumb question but i've got one tattoo that i use a&d cream on and it faded horribly >.< so i'm looking for alternatives.)
I wouldn’t recommend any other types of nappy rash creams bar bepanthen as things like sudocrem and other nappy rash creams can bleach the skin and affect the colour :(

this is purely my opinion and advice as an apprentice and someone who has lived with tattooists for 16 and a half years :i2:
warning this post may/will contain bad spelling and lots of grammatical error's

well its shocking I AM MALE

Jynx

Post by Jynx » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:21 am

I'm not sure if it's widely available, but I used Bag Balm on mine and it was AMAZING!

corpseesproc

Post by corpseesproc » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:38 am

I used coco butter on a couple as I had gone to a festival and forgotten bepanthen and wow it worked even better!
But I usually just use bepanthen as I haven't had any coco butter around since.
I do have a horrible habit of picking scabs so that includes tattoo scabs as well!
BUT I have a technique when I pick any scab haha (this sounds so weird) when you get a scab you have a really thin layer of healed skin underneath and I find when that forms thats when it gets itchy so I can peel of the top without disturbing the skin underneath. When I pick normal scabs I do it this way so I dont bleed I'm not reccomending this i'm just saying I do it a lot.,
At one festival I kept picking my pony and giving the brightly coloured scabs to my friend by telling her to put her hand out, she fell for this so many times and i thought it was hilarious, yeah its ikky but It's funny too.
She['s wise to this now and will no longer take them :(
http://www.etsy.com/shop/BubbleFusion
Bubble Fusion has an etsy!

kayrahbear

Post by kayrahbear » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:30 pm

Jynx wrote:I'm not sure if it's widely available, but I used Bag Balm on mine and it was AMAZING!
That's what I used on my second tattoo! I love love love that stuff.
I used vaseline on my first tattoo and really regret it. Its an all black tattoo and the vaseline really faded it, even caused the color to come out completely in small dots. That was just my experience with it of course. :i2:

Opiate

Post by Opiate » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:31 am

Bepanthan all the way!
I use the nappy rash one. It's wonderful :) I don't have many tattoos, but I havent had any problems. Save for a teensy bit of colour falling out of my wrist tattoo.. but that happens.

I'm a little um.. i don't think it's quite concerned, but I guess puzzled about my new feet tattoos. they're almost a week old, anf havent itched, flaked or anything. they've scabbed, but that's about it. It's strange considering the one on my wrist (which is fairly sizeable and all colour) itched and flacked like a b****...
JessFACE
prying.open.my.third.eye
facebook.com/OpiateDreads-Custom Dreads and Cyberlox<3

iddylove

Post by iddylove » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:15 am

aquaphor is a godsend! i love it. thats what i used on all of my tattoos, except one, i tried out bactracin. and went immediatley back to aquaphor. its great for itchiness, and keeps it well hydrated without being goopy. love love love it.

Hibiscus

Post by Hibiscus » Fri May 06, 2011 1:39 pm

I use homeoplasmine, hemopathy + vaseline, 3*/day, thin thin cover ... it works good for me, revive the colours when my skin's dry ;)

I've tried 'easytattoo after care cream' ... i've got HUGE rash ... like a chemical burn :'( i've cleaned my tatts and go on homeoplasmine !

diversityhair

Post by diversityhair » Fri May 06, 2011 3:53 pm

Use the tattoo creme given to you by the tattooist or bought from them, or Bepanthen. Vasoline can breed germs and isnt a good idea.
http://www.diversityhair.co.uk - NEW SITE 20/06/11
Hair Extensions, Hairdressing and Supplies
http://twitter.com/Jenna_Diversity - Twitter for site updates and everything else
http://www.facebook.com/diversityhair - Diversity Hair facebook page for updates on products, photos etc.

Hibiscus

Post by Hibiscus » Tue May 10, 2011 2:18 pm

Easy tattoo cream was gifted by my tattooist... I've said to him that I've had a burning reaction ... so I bought bepanthen ! :)

Return to “Make-up & Skin Stuff”