Extending real dreads with wool roving dreads PLEASE HELP!!!

linziloop

Extending real dreads with wool roving dreads PLEASE HELP!!!

Post by linziloop » Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:26 pm

Hi there, I'm hoping someone here can give me a bit of advice. I have had an enquiry fom a lady with real dreads who would like to extend them with wool roving dreads like the ones pictured here:

She wants some about cork, some sharpie and some pencil thickness. She also wants them to start half way down her dread instead of at the root (she's not said why). For sharpie to pencil thickness i would suggest sewing them in as i reckon they could be squished down enough with some neat sewing to blend in, but the cork size ones worry me - i can imagine these creating a big bulge where they are alongside the natural dread. I was thinking maybe i could do tapered fat ones so they could be better blended? I don't know...

The other method i have seen on the forum is felting them in, but I won't be the one installing them...

Are there any other methods people have tried in order to extend real dreads with wool roving dreads?

I have emailed the lady explaining the issues faced and told her i will do my research and get back to her in a couple of days, so any help or points in the right direction would be greatly appreciated - even if you think her plan is a bad idea, or you think there are better ways of extending real dreads, afterall i would hate to sell her something she just can't use!
http://www.linziloop.etsy.com, http://www.linziloop.folksy.com - dreads, accessories, graphic design, jewellery and soon - clothing! All hand made with love, in Liverpool, UK.

Moody108

Re: Extending real dreads with wool roving dreads PLEASE HELP!!!

Post by Moody108 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:33 pm

I extended my natural dreads with Colinette (sp?) that was about pencil thickness, It does work but it needs to be sewn in very securely

As far as thicker wool goes, i'm not sure as i'm not very clued up on wool. perhaps ask this in the wool section too?
Never trust someone who's gonna live forever, they don't have enough to lose
Formerly known as kikky_lou

linziloop

Post by linziloop » Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:52 pm

I was thinking this might do better in the wool section actually - mods - any chance of a relocation to help me find an answer to this probelm!?
http://www.linziloop.etsy.com, http://www.linziloop.folksy.com - dreads, accessories, graphic design, jewellery and soon - clothing! All hand made with love, in Liverpool, UK.

NaturalistDesigns

Post by NaturalistDesigns » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:28 pm

The only way I could see this working is felting some wool onto the tips of the dreads and felt the other dreads onto the wool section; but this would create a weak point between the natural and the roving dread.

nothingwhatsoever

Post by nothingwhatsoever » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:57 pm

hmm sheesh - you are right, if you're not the one doing the installing it makes it a touch more difficult! it's so much easier to extend with wool if you've got a bucket of hot water, a bunch of raw wool, and a few crochet hooks to help you along. cork-sized dreads sewn halfway onto a real dread would probably look pretty silly, if she wants extendies that thick i'd suggest tapering them -extremely- well on both sides. on the root side i'd suggest ripping the wool into a verrrry tapered end. is she going to do them herself ? and did she ask for double enders?
lain @ nothingwhat . net /visit my web shop and gallery.
nothingwhatsoever's . FB page /find me on crackbook!

nifty?lain/nothingwhat...

Return to “Real Dreadlocks”