Washing your dreads

punicorn

Washing your dreads

Post by punicorn » Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:53 am

I was just curious what you ladies (and gents if there are any with natural dreads present) use to wash your dreads?

I haven't tried all that many, because the 2 bars I've used lasted me months. I've used just a regular bar of dove soap and a knottyboy peppermint bar that I got from someone. The knottyboy bar worked really well, and I honestly loved it so much, but my roommate accidentally lost it down the drain..
Now I'm using my boyfriend's regular liquid shampoo (he has dreads, too). It's Tresemme (sp?) which I LOVED using on my hair before I dreaded it, because it made my hair so healthy. But ofcourse when using it with dreads, it makes them really soft and squishy.

I want to try out some different shampoos (preferably bars) but I wanted to see what other's had used and what they thought about it. I've wanted to try some Lush shampoo or soap bars, has anyone used those?

ANNloses

Re: Washing your dreads

Post by ANNloses » Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:56 am

Lush shampoos might cause trouble if you have loose hairs. I got soooo many dingleberries (lol) from using my cousin's shampoo bar, I'm not sure which one it was.
I just use liquid shampoo. Tea trea oil shampoo.

AssassinCookie

Post by AssassinCookie » Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:15 pm

i used whatever i wanted too.
At first i thought alot about what soap i used, but one day i forgot to use the shampoo i got from the girls that made my dreads and used the same shampoo that others in the family used.
it worked very well actuall.. didn't matter at all.
so i threw away the dreadshampoo and started using the same as my family again :D

dumpsterbunnie

Post by dumpsterbunnie » Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:46 am

i have had dreads for about six years and when they were still forming i used dish soap for the first year .I dont know about salon dreads i just let mine form naturally,and well there still young all the stuff that shampoose promise is your enemy,i now use whatever. But i notice that every one around me smokes and it gets into the dreadlocks and the smell wont justwash out so
i spray them with fabreez
But you should try doctor Bronners it is organic and it washes out really easy no soap residue
completly natural smells good too
em

Vixie

Post by Vixie » Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:55 pm

When I had mine, I just used fabreze as well. Only when people nagged. It didn't bother me because I didn't notice they smelled XD.
Notorious thread killer.

Lollipop

Post by Lollipop » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:48 am

Actually I use a lush shampoo now (my dreads just reached the 9month mark), I used a dread shampoo for the first few months but it did nothing to help with any itchiness and I'm dandruff prone which it actually made worse. I'm using squeaky green now which dries my hair out and has tea tree and mint which has got rid of my dandruff and itchiness (scratching was giving me more fluffies) and my dreads are in absolutely amazing condition. It also smells a hell of a lot better
dumpsterbunnie wrote: But you should try doctor Bronners it is organic and it washes out really easy no soap residue
completly natural smells good too
em
I've heard good things about doctor Bronners too...not tried it though, I couldn't find it anywhere
Formerly Miss_Kitty

knottyk

Post by knottyk » Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:24 pm

I use dreadheadHQ when I wash mine :i9: me boyfriend used to use it aswell when he had dreads, it helped to lock them up when we first got them

x
Gotta love the funk

shifuku

Post by shifuku » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:19 am

K boy makes good products.

When I had the salon I used Giovani Organics Tea Tree Triple Treat shampoo on my clients dreads.
(I offered a real dreadlock spa package)
I also dilute the shampoo in a hair dye applicator bottle to make sure that the shampoo won't get trapped on the scalp and leave residue.
I fill up the hair dye bottle with water and then add a very generous squirt of shampoo and gently shake.

cyberwench

Post by cyberwench » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:46 pm

My boy was moaning about his Dreadhead HQ shampoo stinging his eyes, also the bottle is so big it's a pain to take on holiday, so I thought I would get him a Lush shampoo bar (any excuse to go into Lush!)

I thought Seanik would be good as it has sea salt and lemon juice in it, but after Jon used it yesterday his hair has gone mega fluffy and loose, so I guess it is too conditioning to be a good dread shampoo. Also (due to the sea salt and lemon juice) it apparantly stings even worse than the dreadhead shampoo! So it looks like I have no alternative but to go back to Lush and get him Squeaky Green to try, and no doubt buy myself some goodies whilst I'm there. Such a hardship! :lol:

Evil_Locks

Post by Evil_Locks » Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:53 am

I had dreads for 8 years and, what shampoo you use is a major issue for the first 9 months to a year.

KNOTTYBOY - liquid soap has too much salt in it and can crystalize on your hair.
DREADHEADHQ - isnt the best smelling
DR BRONNERS - smells and feels lovely, the tea-tree oil and lavender bar are great for people with dandruff and excema.
WASHING UP LIQUID - is great, as long as it doesnt say something like "moisturises your hands" or whatever the new ones are saying. Regular cheap dishsoap comes in loads of fragrances and washes your new dreads a treat.
REGULAR SHAMPOO - is not something i would recommend. But people do water it down before using it on their dreads, but im still not convinced thats a plan for new dreads.
LUSH SOAPS - Now, as much as I love lush, I wouldnt put any of their stuff on my dreads, ever!!! They are extra moisturising products, which is def not what we are looking for in a dread cleaner!!!

Thats Claire's dread soap guide 2008! haha!!! And the best/only place to buy them in the UK is at http://www.dreadworx.co.uk/. I find that stuff i order arrives in a couple of days, unless its out of stock!

However, if dandruff is a major problem, then the best thing to do is to put a mixture of half Apple Cider Vinegar, half normal vinegar on your head for 10mins or so and wash off. This takes care of the dandruff and itches - the smell of vinegar doesnt last long! Besides, you can always spray your hair with some water and a few drops of essential oils to take the smell away!

Im sorry if this is useless info - i got carried away! I love dreads! :mrgreen:
Computers are like air-conditioning - they work fine until you open windows.

vibrata

Post by vibrata » Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:05 pm

Here's my $.02 after nearly 11 years of having knotty locks:

I have ended up reading nearly every label of every shampoo bottle in all the health food stores to find good dread shampoo. I had good success with anything that said "sensitive scalp", "clean rinsing" and/or "no residue". For normal irritation-caused itching, a helpful ingredient is peppermint. If the itching is dandruff related, it's tea tree.

I've tried Dr. Bronner's and found it to be less clean rinsing than is widely believed. Once you try a truly clean rinsing shampoo, you can really tell the difference.

I've tried different bar soaps and I must say, I'm baffled as to how this got to be known as a good way to wash dreads. The whole idea of rubbing your matted hair with a large glob of anything seems to logically lead to a mess. Maybe I was doing it wrong. Meh, whatever.

My #1 all time fave, which I've now been using for about 4 years straight, is Aveda Rosemary Peppermint shampoo. It calms itches, rinses out completely and smell fresh. I can go two weeks between shampoos without a problem, because it gets my dreads do clean and residue-free. Love it love it love it. Did I mention I love it? I buy the giant bottle which runs about $25 and since I water it down 50%, it lasts me more than a year.

Okay, I guess I really felt like writing. Hope that helps.

Aphrodite

Post by Aphrodite » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:19 pm

I mostly use Lush Seanik shampoo bar to wash my dreads. It has seasalt in it and I really noticed it made my dreads tighter. And shampoobars are easy to work with on dreads. Sometimes I use Palmers Coconut Shampoo to give them a nice scent of coconut. 8-) I just love coconut.

Nawtali

Post by Nawtali » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:25 pm

I like to keep it as simple as it can be xD
I only use Head&shoulders menthol, it keeps my scalp nice and itch free + it doesn't leave residues and it smells reaally fresh!
Dunno if i'm the only one here who doesn't rub the dreadies with shampoo/soap. Still they are clean, they do not smell weird and they don't get loads of residues inside of them and they stay in great shape. Hotwater is all they ask of me.
:D
Huvudkorv on Facebook!
For international likes, updates & pictures! <3

Aphrodite

Post by Aphrodite » Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:34 pm

I hate Head and Shoulders, it does keep you free of dandruff while you use it, but when you stop using it, it will give you dandruff, that way they keep you to buying their product! :x

shrijani

Post by shrijani » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:07 am

Baby shampoo (believe it or not but it actually gets your dreads to dread better and form tighter!!!). I also use a lot of natural shampoo's from the reform shop wich are also very nice, I always use coconut/vanilla or honey/vanilla!! ooh and american cream from Lush hydrates your dreads and let them smell really nice!!!
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/freak.boutique
Freak Boutique - Natural & Fake Dreadlocks

Lioness

Post by Lioness » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:19 pm

I use KNOTTY BOY shampoo..
I was real against putting any product on my dreads ( So against it i washed them ONCE A YEAR ) :lol:
I have bumb length dreads so they can be a handful to wash often.

I used SEA WATER at first to wash them and that did a grrreatttt job!!

When i first used Knotty boy shampoo i was EXTREMELY IMPRESSED!! My dreads were a lil flimsy and they tightened up with days!! So i wash my hair 1/2 a month.

DO NOT PUT WAX ON YOUR DREADS!!! Beewax is a nightmare!

kaytedies

Post by kaytedies » Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:53 am

I'm intrigued by the Dr. Bronners soap bars, since I get some naaasty dandruff.
But you can use actual soap bars to wash dreads? How exactly does that work?

Onderi

Post by Onderi » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:19 pm

I apologize for bump the old topic, but I have some interesting observations that I would like to share, maybe this will help someone in the future because once I was on the lookout for useful advice.

Yes you can wash your hair it is important to wash your hair when you are growing locs so that they mesh faster and loc better i wash my hair once a week with trader joes tingling tea tree shampoo and conditioner.
2. It depends on the texture of your hair courser hair locs much quicker than say straight hair.
3. Any method is good to start locs as long as you dont use wax which will cause buildup in your locs and gel that has alcohol
4. A good length to start at is longer than a inch to 2 inches because the longer your hair is the better.
5. If the hair is not properly maintain then the hair will smell, example if you work out a lot it is important that you rinse your hair on a daily basis with warm water and dry it under a dryer and use organic esstential oils
6. Soely based on opinion i find them to be beautiful tbh the overall process is amazing and i love my locs to the max.
7. **** no you can touch my hair i get asked that question more times than what id like lol.Shampoos are really important for locks..you need shampoos without a lot of chemicals especially for ppl with regulat hair...ppl are going bald at really young ages these days. Sometimes i make my own herbal rinses to cleanse my hair. All natural products are best, shampoos like Giovanni from trader joes are really good..if anyone is interested i can let you guys know how to make your own herbal shampoo which promotes speedy hair growth

Return to “Real Dreadlocks”