Removing real dreadlocks

dollmachinedrama

Removing real dreadlocks

Post by dollmachinedrama » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:18 pm

I have a friend who has real dreadlocks that are about 6 months old. He is on the job market again, and having a hard time finding employment in his field with the dreadlocks, and he is now just "over" them. He thought he would have to shave his head, which is quite a shame as his hair is mid ribcage length. I was able to get a lot of his hair out of the dreads, except maybe 1" up near his scalp. I didn't use any type of conditioner or anything on his hair. They are still pretty tight up near the scalp, and pretty painful to remove. I knew there were some products that you can use to make removal easier, but I'm not sure what works best. He only had 12 to start with, because he has an undercut.
I know knotty boy makes a removal kit, but dont want to spend $25 unless it actually works as well as it says it does. I also came across royal roots detangles, softner, and remover. I know theres other stuff as well, just not sure where to get it. The cheapest solution would be best, as he has been unemployed for a little bit.
Please bear with the typos, I'm almost always typing with a fussy baby in my arms. I swear, I really can spell and type correctly.

grittykitty

Re: Removing real dreadlocks

Post by grittykitty » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:31 am

Don't get the stuff from Knotty Boy. I got it, and although the conditioner smelt amazing (mmm... pineapples!), it really worked just as well as a heaping amount of any other type of conditioner. I never used any gels in my hair to dread them, they were all from neglect, so if that's the case for him, maybe it'll work different and more efficiently? All I know is, the shampoo did nothing for me, and the conditioner made it nice and soft and smelling good... but with the amount of dreads I had, it ran out quickly, and I ended up having an easier time with Pantene conditioners.

The parts closest to the roots are the hardest and most painful. ): Tell him I say good luck.

Elstaro

Post by Elstaro » Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:01 am

You should try V05 hot oil hair treatments there pretty cheep and sold almost anywere shamppoo is. thats what I used to take out my full head of mid back leangthed 8 mounth old dreads a fews back. works best if you leave it in while combing (let if sit for a bit before you comb). took lotsa work but I was able to save my hair.
and if your really low on funds you can use vegetable oil or canola oil (heat it up a bit its almost as good as V05) and moms allways have this in the kitchen :i2:
I poo rainbows ^_^

guest123

Post by guest123 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:40 am

*deleted*
Last edited by guest123 on Sat May 09, 2015 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

skymistress

Post by skymistress » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:03 pm

I had real dreadlocks twice in my life, both for 8 months long each and both times I spent a week brushing them out, took a bath in between the days - warm water with conditioner in my hair and just kinda let them float in the warm water with the conditioner in as well, then washed it out and waited for my hair to dry and started combing them out again. I never used any special conditioner or anything to really get them out, just patience. Yeah, it took a while, but my hair was pretty healthy once all the loose hair and grime (I used wax to start my dreads...uck) was fully washed out.

Just take your time in combing them out, it does work fine, just takes time and patience.

:)

Suki_Stardust

Post by Suki_Stardust » Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:51 am

I recently removed 4 year old dreads and it was a mission!
I used 3 different combs. I found a dog detangling brush helped loads the ones that have long and short teeth to get at the knots at all angles :)

Also these:
http://www.boots.com/webapp/wcs/stores/ ... ogId=11051
http://www.boots.com/webapp/wcs/stores/ ... ogId=11051

Are amazing products they smell nice which is a bonus if you've gotta spend 2 or 3 days combing out dreads :)
I found that spraying that on a few dreads then going back to ones that I'd sprayed five minutes earlier and teasing them apart helped ease the tugging on my friends head. Before each session she would wash her hair and soak it in conditioner and leave that in for 15 minutes, rinse, dry properly to prevent breakage and then we'd start :)
It took 4 days of 2-8 hour sessions to brush out Roisin's dreads this way and 3 days to brush out my own.
Be prepared for lots of hair (between Roisin and I we filled 6 or 7 bags of dead hair) :i6:
Random overload.... usually caused by me....

Svefn-g-englar

Post by Svefn-g-englar » Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:59 pm

Fabric softner works pretty good :]

earthymamawitch

Post by earthymamawitch » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:06 pm

Olive oil, although you do have to wash a bunch afterwords to get it all out.

Jenn
Let me get my hands in your hair!http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1560079231
Knotty & Nice All Natural Dread Products http://www.etsy.com/shop/KnottyandNice333

Return to “Real Dreadlocks”