Starting Dreads Alone...

kaytedies

Starting Dreads Alone...

Post by kaytedies » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:07 am

So, I've decided I'm going to have to start my dreads by myself since I was unable to find anyone to help me start them. I've looked at the Knotty Boy website and it basically taught me everything I need to know, but I still don't feel ready enough to do it myself and I have some questions...
1. Is it okay to presection off everything? I really want my dreads to be in the sort of the sectioning my yarn braids are normally done in. Or do natural dreads look strange if they are sectioned off like that?
2. I want them in sort of little sections, as well. As in, I want the dreads to be about pencil thickness. Is it okay to make them that thin or would they grow better thicker?
3. Can I just use regular beeswax to roll them with?

If I think of anything else, I'll add it...that's about it for now ^_^

princessOfpOi

Re: Starting Dreads Alone...

Post by princessOfpOi » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:11 pm

It's perfectly fine to section your hair before dreading if you want to, make sure your hair is clean and non conditioned before you start, as hair will not tangle well when lubricated with the natural oil from your scalp.

Smaller sections are fine too, but thinner dreads tend to take a little longer than larger ones to lock up, which is no problem as long as you're prepared to be patient, whichever size your dreads are, they will take some time to mature.

You don't need any product whatsoever to start or maintain dreads, as I explained above, hair cannot form knots if it is coated in anything slippery, wax will hinder the locking process significantly, and coating your hair in sticky wax will render it a magnet for dust, lint,etc. Once wax is in your hair, it can be incredibly difficult to remove, it really isn't something you want hanging around in your hair. Unfortunately Knottyboy, Dreadheadhq etc are pushers of wax and other product based propaganda, and it's all totally unnecessary.

The memories on this livejournal community are very useful, http://www.livejournal.com/tools/memori ... p_dread_up

Come back if you have any further questions, hope this helps. ;)

Nawtali

Post by Nawtali » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:31 pm

Just don't put wax in them! it wont help the process and they'll get dirty.
Mix hot water and sea salt in a spray bottle instead, and spray slightly on em. That will help dry em up and then they'll knot better. ^^
Huvudkorv on Facebook!
For international likes, updates & pictures! <3

Evil_Locks

Post by Evil_Locks » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:14 am

Please do not do anything that KnottyBoy do on their video "How to dread" or whatever its called. She doesn't backcomb them nearly enough and then proceeds to turn them into candles?!?!?!?!

Sectioning them is fine. Thats what I did each time I dreaded my own hair. Just make sure to take the bands out before you dread, and don't put any bands on your hair when it is dreaded - causes major weak-spots later on.

Just grab youself a dread comb, or metal flee/lice comb and backcomb until you cant backcomb anymore.

Don't wash them for a week, 2 if you can last that long, and make sure its residue free. Knottyboy shampoo is too salty, dreadheadHQ shampoo doesn't smell very nice. Dr Bronner's is excellent, bar or liquid, and so is bog standard cheap washing up liquid.
Computers are like air-conditioning - they work fine until you open windows.

kaytedies

Post by kaytedies » Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:04 am

Oh knotty boy, how you have let me down!
Thanks everyone :)

Return to “Real Dreadlocks”