Dreadlock Pictures

punicorn

Dreadlock Pictures

Post by punicorn » Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:18 am

Well, since there aren't any topics in this section of the forum yet, I've decided we should at least have a thread for pictures.

This is the squiggly mess atop my head. I love them tons.
They're about 5 months old now. I was really broke, so I did them by myself. Backcombed and slightly crocheted. Nothing else done to it. I barely do any maintenance (which I think is pretty obvious :D ) and only use a peppermint shampoo bar to wash my hair every couple of days.

Sooo show us your dreads!! :D

ANNloses

Re: Dreadlock Pictures

Post by ANNloses » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:32 am

Hmm, I have to scan the bottom of my head for this.

LittlePinkFaery

Post by LittlePinkFaery » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:14 am

thank you for posting!

It would be nice if ou put together a ' how to dread' tutorial ( with or without pics) or could link us to a good one! And a how to care for/ wash advice :)

I remember getting these questions on the old board come up once in a while

ANNloses

Post by ANNloses » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:59 am

Well, there are different ways to create dreads, so there is no set tutorial.
Hopefully in the future I can create a tutorial for backcombed dreads.

Everyone makes their dreads differently (either backcombing, neglect - letting them form on their own, rip and twist, or by using wax) and everyone maintains their dreads differently. Some people do no maintenance at all, but some palmroll, crochet, and do root rubbing daily.

candycovered

Post by candycovered » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:53 pm

I want my real dreads back a stupid amount :(
hmmph
I wish that time would stand still,
if this was part of a film
we would watch the clip all day,
like a portrait of you and I...

vintagesoul

Post by vintagesoul » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:49 pm

first off - nice dreadies! they look lovely, and neglect is the best option for naturals...

i've had dreads a few times now, and have read up on them quite a bit. i used neglect to get mine (tho i perm them now and I DO NOT recommend it for others, it's just what worked for me). i'd be happy to help anyone out who has questions... :D

(sorry - i posted about wax, but removed it because i can see your post does not say you use it, lol...)
i'm makin headlines like a courdory pillow...

ANNloses

Post by ANNloses » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:43 pm

Scanner won't read my memory card!!

Here are my dreads at 7 months today. But, I extended two of them (damn it takes a long time) and I'm going to try to extend the other 4 by this time next month xD

And here's a closeup of the extension bonds. Not that obvious, but I could have done a better job.

I only have 6 dreads, but I think I'm going to add another row of them. I'd love to have a whole head of them, but I know that now isn't the time for that. I'm getting some 22" human hair in the mail soon though, so I'll be making some double enders of human hair to wear in the mean time :)

Oops, I'm editing this to add some more info.
I don't really do maintenance on them. I rarely wash my hair, only when I can literally smell my hair (disgusting). But when I wash them, they tighten up and it's a nice treat :3 Sometimes I'll crochet loose hairs in, but I just don't have the time to do that often anymore. I palmroll them and rub the roots absentmindedly.

dreadstarrs

Post by dreadstarrs » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:34 am

first of, both punicorn and annloses,your dreads are lovely. i adore natural dreads. secondly,ive been thinking about adding a few to my head but wasnt sure if itsa good idea right now as my hair is blue and purple. do you think i should grow my hair out to a natural color or leave as is. will the dreads fade the way undreaded dyed hair does?
when you find yourself on the edge of madness,dive.

** faerie princess **

Moody108

Post by Moody108 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:30 am

*hunts for a decent picture*

before i dreaded my hair, it reached my boobs and now its barely shoulder length, i want to extend my dreads but have no idea how to do it! i have a few synth accents in there with the post-apocalyptic style weft glued on from the old board and rexlace tied in but i want them longer.

i bleached the hair after it was dreaded and didn't have any issues, they take colour well and i only wash them once a month when they feel like they need doing. i dreaded my hair after Glastonbury when i took my synth extensions out, my hair was so matted that it had formed dreads on its own! i dont do much maintenance, just palm roll them every so often, they're 2 months old now and i love them. onto the pics!

Never trust someone who's gonna live forever, they don't have enough to lose
Formerly known as kikky_lou

ANNloses

Post by ANNloses » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:23 pm

I'll post a tutorial when I get home.

dreadstarrs

Post by dreadstarrs » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:58 pm

kikky,youre dreads are so gorgeous!
when you find yourself on the edge of madness,dive.

** faerie princess **

E-liz

Post by E-liz » Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:03 pm

Question. Even with washing don't they end up stinking and collecting #%@!, like dust,dirt skin etc?

ANNloses

Post by ANNloses » Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:52 pm

A common misconception about dreadlocks is that they are smelly and gross. This can be true. What creates smelly dreads is wax. When you use wax to form your dreads, it's like you're putting flypaper in your dreads. Dirt, grime, all kinds of things will stick to them. I'm 100% against wax for this reason. You can wash dreads (I wash mine at least once or twice a week), they're just hair. Hair eventually starts to smell if you don't wash it.

E-liz

Post by E-liz » Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:37 pm

I was just wondering. Because I saw this guy cut his dreads off one time and there was crud in them. His were really thick and he had them for years. I know all dreads aren't like that. :lol:

Moody108

Post by Moody108 » Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:36 pm

my friend went to a festival and when she washed her dreads, a MOTH came out. but at a festival it's kinda understandable!

IKickShins

Post by IKickShins » Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:49 am

E-liz wrote:I was just wondering. Because I saw this guy cut his dreads off one time and there was crud in them. His were really thick and he had them for years. I know all dreads aren't like that. :lol:
I have a friend who's had dreads for years and apparently doesn't take very good care of them.. one day when he decided to trim off a few inches, the insides of them were *black* from filth (his real hair is kind of a dark blonde).
I Kick Shins - Now stocking olive green, pistachio, & neon purple kk jumbo braid!
IKS @ Etsy - Clip-in streaks & top hats galore!
Facebook - You know the drill ;)

Moody108

Post by Moody108 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:02 pm

should we make a new post for dread stories?

E-liz

Post by E-liz » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:33 pm

kikky_lou wrote:my friend went to a festival and when she washed her dreads, a MOTH came out. but at a festival it's kinda understandable!
eww hahah :lol:

Magdalena

Post by Magdalena » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:47 pm

ANNloses wrote:A common misconception about dreadlocks is that they are smelly and gross. This can be true. What creates smelly dreads is wax. When you use wax to form your dreads, it's like you're putting flypaper in your dreads. Dirt, grime, all kinds of things will stick to them. I'm 100% against wax for this reason. You can wash dreads (I wash mine at least once or twice a week), they're just hair. Hair eventually starts to smell if you don't wash it.
I do not use wax for the very same reason! Its just sticky, and gross!

Moody108

Post by Moody108 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:43 pm

Magdalena wrote:
ANNloses wrote:A common misconception about dreadlocks is that they are smelly and gross. This can be true. What creates smelly dreads is wax. When you use wax to form your dreads, it's like you're putting flypaper in your dreads. Dirt, grime, all kinds of things will stick to them. I'm 100% against wax for this reason. You can wash dreads (I wash mine at least once or twice a week), they're just hair. Hair eventually starts to smell if you don't wash it.

same here! wax is wrong unless it's for styling hair that will be thoroughly washed out soon! my dreads only need washing once or twice a month, i rinse the roots with warm water once a week but proper wash is less often

candycovered

Post by candycovered » Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:25 pm

kikky_lou wrote:
Magdalena wrote:

same here! wax is wrong unless it's for styling hair that will be thoroughly washed out soon! my dreads only need washing once or twice a month, i rinse the roots with warm water once a week but proper wash is less often
yuck, I made the mistake of using wax on my first dread attempt. it was all over my ears, face, neck & shoulders for days !
I washed it out & started again, & I found the hair locked up so much easier without that vile sticky, cloggy rubbish
I wish that time would stand still,
if this was part of a film
we would watch the clip all day,
like a portrait of you and I...

doclocks
Site Admin

Post by doclocks » Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:53 am

Wax should be used sparingly. It is ONLY for starter dreads where you are trying to promote the hair to mat. If your hair is already compacted, wax is completely unnecessary. Besides, you aren't trying to make a candle. Dime size at MOST for average starter dreads.

I LOVE lock peppa for more solid(ish) dreads. You need, something to help get those new growths attached, maintenance or palmroll grip, etc. etc. It is the bomb.

You absolutely can't wash the inside of your dreads. They will over time collect junk.

Most of the smell actually comes from wetness that doesnt get dried quickly enough. If you have ever had mildewed clients... well, lets just say it doesnt get any barfier. And it's really hard to get that out.

I got lots of dreadie clients. Client with the longest dreads you guys would go nutso for! They are past her bum!!! Simply amazing. I'll see if I can find an image.
Doctored Locks :)
Sophisticated supplies for hair extension architects.
Hair extensions, installation supplies, 300+ free DIY tutorials, classes and installations.

Sugar Bones

Post by Sugar Bones » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:43 am

Here's my mess.I dyed them after i did them because i was less afraid to use peroxide to lighten it! Please excuse the lack of makeup but it's the only good pic of my hair I have.

and here they are with black,a bit of red and some synth dreads thrown in for length.

im forever changing them though.They are green at the mo.l

lastone

Post by lastone » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:02 am

I thought I might post my new dreads. When they are more mature, I will repost.
I had my hair in plaits for two weeks, undid them, and then backcombed them into messy dreads. The first picture was the my first attempt at them. The other picture is more recent, with much better backcombing and matting.

Thanks for looking. :oops: :?

ANNloses

Post by ANNloses » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:09 am

I like the color of your dreads, and it seems like you've done a good job sectioning them. However, I advise that you take out the rubberbands now if you haven't already done so. They will cause weak spots in your dreads in the long run, and they will only harm your dreads.

Return to “Real Dreadlocks”