Using dread wax on your dreadies?

knottyk

Using dread wax on your dreadies?

Post by knottyk » Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:29 pm

When I first got my dreads I got told that using the dread wax was really good for them and would help lock them up. I used it for the first month but it always made my hair feel horrible. Im up to my 6month mark and ive been letting them form naturally but theyre a bit messy. A friend of mine who has dreads said I should put wax in to make them solid.
Should I put up with the awful waxyness or leave them to stay natural and just keep looking after them? :i9:

x
Gotta love the funk

ANNloses

Re: Using dread wax on your dreadies?

Post by ANNloses » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:58 am

Noooooooooooo! I am completely against wax on natural dreads. It makes dirt and grime stick in your dreads, which is never a good thing. :/ Most people's stereotypes of "dirty" dreads originates from dreads with wax in them!

sammu

Post by sammu » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:37 pm

I agree. NEVER put any styling products on your dreads. I've seen a dread, cut in half on the internet before, and it was full of gunk, dirt... messy and probably smelly, too. I would stop putting wax in your dreadies. ^_^

shifuku

Post by shifuku » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:06 am

I am both for and against dread wax.

I think it's entirely up to how much work you want to put into your dreads.
If you are a no muss no fuss person you probably don't even want to get real ones to begin with.
In my opinion real dreads are the toughest hairstyle to upkeep. Lots of people think that having dreads equals no work at all but they are so dead wrong. You will never work on your hair as much as you will with real dreads.

I use wax on my clients as per their request.
It does help out the locking process but I feel that Lock Peppa or even some sea salt and lemon juice can help out just as much if not better.
Wax helps things look good right away. If you aren't into palm rolling and crocheting all the time, or need a quick fix in between maintenance visits.
I never recommend using wax past the first 2 months of new dreads.
As you can still wash out the wax at this point but the harder (more locked up) the dread gets the more difficult the wax will be to remove.
Which can result in nasty buildup as the other girls above me were talking about.
It's helpful but it's not necessary.

shifuku

Post by shifuku » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:16 am

o wow I didn't even read you were at half a year mark.
No definitely not. you should NOT use wax. You are way past the wax being a useful tool part now.

In my opinion, after the first initial month to two months of new dreads wax hinders things.
When you first get dreads and you choose to use wax, you are supposed to blow dry the wax into the dread.
A lot of people don't do this and the wax sits on top of the hair and attracts all manner of debris and yuckay and feels gross.
Once the wax is blowdryed in (it melts into the inside of the dread) it's WAY less tacky.
The dread stops sticking straight up and lays down more properly. The individual hairs stay inside the dread easier.
Wax is a useful tool as long as it is used in moderation and only up until the actual locking up process. After that it becomes a hinderance.

But as I said in the other post, wax is kinda the easy way out.
You an achieve the same results with religious palm rolling, crocheting, lock peppa and lemon juice/sea salt mixture.

knottyk

Post by knottyk » Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:21 am

Thanks guys youve been a lot of help :D

x
Gotta love the funk

Return to “Real Dreadlocks”