Self-Sectioning tips

Goffy_lucc

Self-Sectioning tips

Post by Goffy_lucc » Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:21 am

I have a dilemma. I have been crying out for a friend to section my hair for my so I can start dreadlocking my hair.
(I have already done a test row of dreads at the side of my head, and I am in love)
Unfortunately it seems that I don't... err, have any friends (or at least any friends with the capacity to section my hair) and my mum refuses to help me (because she doesn't fully understand what I want)
I'm going for thin, whippy dreads, crocheting method no nasty wax or anything like that.

I have no idea how I am going to neatly section the hair at the back of my head. I am extremely anal about the sectioning, and I really need some decent tips as to how to do it on myself.
I have tried using mirrors, but I can't set them up in the right placement to see the back of my head properly. I don't want to even attempt sectioning by feel (which is always how I installed synthetic dreads, and the sectioning wasn't too bad) for the chance of it being messy and ruining the neat and tidy look I am going for.

So, may any of you lovely people have any tips for me, or the method in which you've self sectioned your hair for backcombing?
Thanks!
~Louie <3
Facebook | Tumblr

Find funky hair and jewels at~
Etsy | Facebook

Little Wicked

Re: Self-Sectioning tips

Post by Little Wicked » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:16 pm

I haven't tried this one myself, but have read that some people use a webcam setup and monitor to get sectioning at the back of their head to be neat, but you'd have to be able to translate what you see on the monitor into movement at the back of your head, which I think would be backwards on the screen? Anyway, as I said, I haven't tried it myself, I've only ever used the 'going by feel' method when putting in synth dreads. Hope it goes well for you! If I lived anywhere near you I'd volunteer to come help you!
Mindi Kay: loves dreads,corsets, shoes, makeup & fashion, obsessed with all things horror/gore related.
http://littlewickedsworld.blogspot.co.uk/
http://www.littlewickedsemporium.co.uk

neonpixie

Post by neonpixie » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:58 pm

I know some people do it with lots of mirrors to help them see their head.

It probably wont help as you want lots of thin dreads but I just grabbed sections of hair as I backcombed, this has ment that I've avoided that grid pattern some people get with really strict sectioning. Most of my dreads are chunky, but I do have some smaller ones made by grabbing less hair :)
Oscail mo shúile, Nìos mò, Èist è sin, Ar an tsáile snámha, Fol lol the doh fol the day...

Goffy_lucc

Post by Goffy_lucc » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:13 pm

Well. I sort of sectioned so they will be level for each row but then just grabbed bits of hair.
Looks awesome, if i do say so myself.
~Louie <3
Facebook | Tumblr

Find funky hair and jewels at~
Etsy | Facebook

Return to “Real Dreadlocks”