Going to a wedding, looking for advice on "formal" updo's!

anjaloveshervw

Going to a wedding, looking for advice on "formal" updo's!

Post by anjaloveshervw » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:15 pm

Hello all!

So!
I am going to a wedding next weekend and am in need of a little advice! I have bright red dreads and I normally wear them down, or with ribbons and extensions and the like. You may have already seen this pic in my intro, but here it is again:
This is without anything in it, obviously. :)

I was thinking of pulling it back into a neat sort of updo and putting some fake flowers into it! Much like this pretty lady: (http://www.flickr.com/photos/rarebutter ... 006338383/) whom I just adore. My hair isn't quite long enough, as you can see, so I may put my extensions in with some pretty ribbons.

It is my fiancee's sister's wedding, so I am going to be around his entire (ENTIRE!) family, even those whom I have never met who are flying over from England, so I want to make a good first impression on the ones I haven't met yet.

Ideas?
Feedback?
Comments??

I welcome them :)
Thanks everyone!

poxabomination

Re: Going to a wedding, looking for advice on "formal" updo'

Post by poxabomination » Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:13 am

I think that'd be really pretty! You have gorgeous hair by the way ;) Sorry I don't have too many ideas, I pretty much love your idea already :lol:
"Distant beavers sound the alarm"

"Its not stylish if you look witty."

KelsieStars

Post by KelsieStars » Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:30 pm

I don't have real dreads - but my 'natural synth' that I"m wearing at the moment are a similar length to your dreads and I always wear them up. My favourite (and probably the neatest) way of wearing them is to take a couple of dreads from either side at the front and knot them at the back of my head, then take another couple and do the same again (repeat another couple of times) until I've kind got a knotted-plait-ponytail thing happening. I then tuck the ponytail under (or over) and secure with a hairband. Then depending on where I'm going etc I pop bows/butterflys/barettes in to liven it up.

Does that make sense? Just tried taking a pic, but couldn't get one of the back of my head!!

Edit: Love your hair btw!

MissAnthropik

Post by MissAnthropik » Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:23 pm

I think you are right - something tied up will look more formal. I don't know how pliable your dreads are, but from looking at them I think I would try to get some tied somewhere round the back, then poke the rest into the tied up bit, upwards into it, downwards into it, and so on, a few at a time, until they were all in. Then I would add some flowers or butterflies or something
telling it like it is!

Desiree

Post by Desiree » Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:54 pm

You could make this braided bun that I made for work one day.
I also have my fringe loose, and I think it looks more formal if you have the fringe up to.

The text says:
1: Part the hair in two
2: Make two french braids and tie them of with elastik bands
3: Make a bun with the two braids and make sure the ends are put under the bun. Secure with hair pins.
4: Decorate with flowers
5: The loose fringe is also braided and secured with hair pins (I did a side-parting and french braided the front hair)

http://daniello.dk/desflettetknold.html

K.O.

Post by K.O. » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:49 am

I think it would look awesome if you did something like that but had a couple of ends sticking out, give it kind of an oriental geisha do look to it.
Kitten A.K.A
Kristin Okopski

Desiree

Post by Desiree » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:04 am

check this out : viewtopic.php?f=60&t=504

I also found these pictures:

This is cute, with the front curled:

anjaloveshervw

Post by anjaloveshervw » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:12 pm

HAHAHAHA what is with that last picture?? :? All I can see is a dude...
Is there supposed to be something else there??

What great ideas... thank you everyone so much!

Desiree, your hair is GORGEOUS! I love the little braids that you made with your fringe! <3 I am embarassed to admit that I have NO CLUE how to do french braids... but the way you did it, the layers just look so clean and elegant. Want to come over ;) ??!!

KelsieStars, I would love to see a pic of yours, too if you manage to figure it out sometime :)

I will definitely post some pictures after the event (this Saturday!) and update you on how it turned out... and now, off to try some ideas on my day off of work!!!!

MissAnthropik

Post by MissAnthropik » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:05 pm

anja - I also thought that about that picture, but if you right click it and select (depending on your browser) to "show pic" or "open in new tab" or something similar you will see the girl with the dreads too. Pretty style actually :)
telling it like it is!

Desiree

Post by Desiree » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:59 pm

Sorry about the big picture.
Here's a tutorial to french braid dreads - you just make a parting and make two of them
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWqlzs_7foQ

I just found lots of dread updo's on youtube.!

anjaloveshervw

Post by anjaloveshervw » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:59 pm

MissAnthropik wrote:anja - I also thought that about that picture, but if you right click it and select (depending on your browser) to "show pic" or "open in new tab" or something similar you will see the girl with the dreads too. Pretty style actually :)
Oh, duh!! Thanks MissA <3

Desiree wrote:Sorry about the big picture.
Here's a tutorial to french braid dreads - you just make a parting and make two of them
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWqlzs_7foQ

I just found lots of dread updo's on youtube.!

Desiree, that is super helpful!! The style in the picture is adorable, and that YouTube tutorial is killer!!
Much gratitude!
:)

KelsieStars

Post by KelsieStars » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:23 am

Argh! So sorry - completely forgot about this thread and took my dreads out last night!

I hope you have fun at the wedding - don't forget to post pictures of your hair'do!

anjaloveshervw

Post by anjaloveshervw » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:04 pm

So, even though I took a ton of pictures at the wedding... none of them were of MYSELF so I am waiting on the photographer's photos. I will post my hair asap! :) I didn't end up doing an updo, but I took the advice of Desiree and did some braids. Can't wait to show you guys!

Return to “Real Dreadlocks”