Advice on Dreads

Baneli

Advice on Dreads

Post by Baneli » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:19 pm

Right, where else to ask then the real deal thread :)

I want dreads, simply put :P I have been in and out of the idea for as long as I can remember always wanting them but never being able to (Work/Family) and now I find myself with 8 months of possible Dread wearing time :D

Long story short, I'm going travelling in Oz and in that time I want to have dreads while I travel :) Do you think it’s a good idea? I know it will be VERY hot in Oz and stick with the humidity so would you guys/girls recommend it or do you think the heat will do me in :S Also because I'm travelling I thought it might be easier this way to maintain. I will need to look into more about how to maintain new dreads.

My hair is pretty short, I was persuaded to cut my hair a few months back and now I regret it so am currently growing it now, but its not even shoulder length yet :( :( :( I have 5 months till I go and I doubt it will be anywhere near long enough so is there anything I could do to make them longer once dreaded? I'm going to have to get someone to do it for me as no chance will I be able to do it myself :P
Live & Let Dread!

kittykadaver

Re: Advice on Dreads

Post by kittykadaver » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:20 pm

There is a community on livejournal you should check out : http://get-up-dread-up.livejournal.com/
and yes, there are ways to extend your dreads.

i'm just curious, but if you're going to go through with dreading your real hair, why would you want to take them out after only a few months?

rivetlicker_

Post by rivetlicker_ » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:09 pm

It's not that hot here in winter :P Not in Sydney anyway! It is roving weather now, so real dreads will NOT be a problem at all!

Desiree

Post by Desiree » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:38 pm

Real dreads won't be mature after 8 months, so if you're not going to keep them I wouldn't do it. I'd go for synth dreads...

Gracey

Post by Gracey » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:44 am

I have to agree with Desiree, synth dreads would be far more suited to what you are wanting.

I don't personally think that natural dreads are any hotter than loose natural hair but it is an awful lot to put your hair through if you don't plan to keep it. Dreads need a lot of concerted care in the early months (I count them as babies until they are at least one year) and go through some pretty crazy stages in that time.

There are many dreadcare and information sites around, have a really good read to find out as much as you can.
What, that? It's a spade.

Gracey xx
Formerly known as Woolhairhabbit

..::AtomicLox::..

Post by ..::AtomicLox::.. » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:17 pm

Agreed on the synth dreads maybe being a better option.

As Gracey mentioned, the early stages of natural dreads require a huge amount of effort and probably aren't something you'll want to be bothered with while traveling. Also as mentioned, they go through some really strange and often frustrating stages before getting to the point that they feel like they're beginning to mature... which is right around the time it sounds like you'll be taking them out.

I might suggest having someone work you up a really kickass set of crocheted natural synthetics in colors that will match really well with your hair. You'll probably need to reinstall a few times throughout your trip, but the amount of time you'll be spending doing that will be FAR less than trying to maintain natural dreads at first!
The mind and hands behind Imp And Petal dreads!

http://www.impandpetal.etsy.com
http://www.facebook.com/ImpAndPetal

Baneli

Post by Baneli » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:36 am

Awesome! Thank you so much for the replies :)

Synthetic dreads, hmm tbh had not thought of that for some strange reason.. I guess it's because I wanted it to look as natural as possible so though I would do real dreads but after reading some more on here realised that yes I would be taking them out when they start to mature :(

I think I will look a little further into synthetic dreads as well but have been advised against dreads as I will want to be doing some fruit picking out in Oz to earn my 2nd year visa which means a job, and if it's anything like here I will have major trouble getting work with dreads. So wish people didn't see them as smelly, horrid things as they simply are far from it.

Obviously I'm not very knowledgeable on putting in dreads in my hair and even more so being a bloke :p so have any of you got a suggestion on where I could go?
Live & Let Dread!

rivetlicker_

Post by rivetlicker_ » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:45 am

If you're going to be anywhere near Sydney, I do dread installs for fairly cheap, but fruit picking sounds like something that'll be done in Queensland. Not sure if anybody does installs up that way :(

Baneli

Post by Baneli » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:12 pm

Hmm very tempting :) I think I will swing to the Synthetic dreads for sure, only if I can find a natural set that match my hair colour and are also thick as prefer thicker dreads.

If I do get some installed I’ll defo look you up as no doubt ill need help with something to do with them while out there xD

I take it they are easier to maintain then? not that I’m bothered how hard it is as I’m willing to work hard on them, but they wont damage with all the sea water / heat and activities I will probs be doing? Plus the harsh 3 months of farm working? I know they seam like noob questions because I am one :P
Live & Let Dread!

rivetlicker_

Post by rivetlicker_ » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:21 pm

I'll warn you now... Even really thin, light dreads are extremely heavy when they're wet, so no getting them too wet too often. Salt water won't damage them, but be sure to rinse them very well and rinse your scalp! Let them dry completely (which will be a tad hard in the cooler months), but no hair dryers.

NirvanaMarie

Post by NirvanaMarie » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:48 am

I always have synthetic dreads in when I'm doing any traveling, it makes life so much easier!

..::AtomicLox::..

Post by ..::AtomicLox::.. » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:10 am

Synth dreads are easily the most hassle-free hairstyle EVER. Get 'em in, and let 'em be!

Ditto what Lara mentioned about getting them wet, though. They get REALLY heavy. It shouldn't harm them in any way, but it could get very uncomfortable! Depending on how long you're wanting them, you can get them up in a high ponytail/bun and wrap them, and just avoid dunking your head if possible. If you do dunk, make sure you rinse REALLY REALLY well and then some. Salt left on the scalp is highly itchy and unfun.
The mind and hands behind Imp And Petal dreads!

http://www.impandpetal.etsy.com
http://www.facebook.com/ImpAndPetal

MissAnthropik

Post by MissAnthropik » Sat May 07, 2011 11:16 am

I have never found synth dreads to be that heavy when wet, i'm odd i guess cause everyone else does! :lol: My real dreads however are another matter... wet synth dreads also dry very quickly in hot climates as they are non porous, and again my real dreads are another matter!

In seriousness, i think the reason I have never found wet synth dreads heavy is because i have only ever worn natural style which are less dense and won't hold as much water in them. I have been to water slide parks and swimming in the sea and all sorts with synth dreads in. Just be careful though that your natural hair dries properly each time otherwise you'll find yourself with a delightful case of mildew! (I am pleased to say I do NOT speak from experience!)
telling it like it is!

girl on fire

Post by girl on fire » Tue May 10, 2011 10:17 am

Baneli wrote: I think I will look a little further into synthetic dreads as well but have been advised against dreads as I will want to be doing some fruit picking out in Oz to earn my 2nd year visa which means a job, and if it's anything like here I will have major trouble getting work with dreads.
I have been down under for nearly two years now and have had dreads of various different colours in that time. I have never had a problem getting a job here. It just depends on what you want to do. Trust me, farmers do not care what you like as long as you pull your weight....but be prepared to have bugs and twigs and all sorts of stuff get stuck in the roots of your dreads while doing farm work!

Also dreads are more common over here because of the surf culture, they are not frowned upon as much here as in the UK.

Enjoy your travels, australia is an amazing county..let me know if you ever need any advice or tips on where to go.

peace x
http://www.girlonfire.org

What would you do if you knew you could not fail?

Return to “Real Dreadlocks”