A question about bleach?

Tashayarna

A question about bleach?

Post by Tashayarna » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:20 pm

Hello ^^ I’m new on here and doing it backwards by making a conversation topic before I introduce myself lol.

I was just curious about how everyone’s hair reacts to bleach? I’ve been every colour I can think of, and every time I’ve had to use bleach to get the desired vibrancy. my hair is what I call a "dirty" blonde I think its called Ash blonde, so I have to use bleach to get it light enough for the dye to take nearly every time I dye it.

I’m not able to dye my hair ATM :( due to work not liking it, so my hairs had time to recover from all the bleach, the worst it got was when I dyed it pink the second to last time, my hair literally went like candy floss, I could pull it out and it was really soft, it was terrible :( My hairs a little dry now, but has recovered from the bleach almost 100%, and I’m out of work soon so shall probably dye it again.

I was just wondering if everyone else had experienced this? as I guess allot of you dye your hairs the bright colours lol, how do you manage to keep your hair looking nice even with all the bleach?

LittlePinkFaery

Re: A question about bleach?

Post by LittlePinkFaery » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:51 pm

not candy floss- but when a hairdresser pulled bleach through too soon after a root tough up- my hair lost all of its natural pigment - no colour would stick at all, except for black, so I had black hair for a couple of years.

I mean, If I had messed mny own hair up- I could understand it, but this was a salon!

Unfortunately I didn't realise it had happened until I went to try and dye my hair red a couple of month after the dye-saster!

Tashayarna

Post by Tashayarna » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:55 pm

littlepinkfaery wrote:not candy floss- but when a hairdresser pulled bleach through too soon after a root tough up- my hair lost all of its natural pigment - no colour would stick at all, except for black, so I had black hair for a couple of years.

I mean, If I had messed mny own hair up- I could understand it, but this was a salon!

Unfortunately I didn't realise it had happened until I went to try and dye my hair red a couple of month after the dye-saster!
egads a salon! O_O; well mine was my friends fault ^^; She forgot the time and after 20 mins I asked her if it was time to take it off yet and she said no... another 30 mins later I asked again and got the same reply.... an hour later she decided it was a good time to take it off O_O my hair was falling out as she washed the bleach out ;__; good job I wasn’t too fussy about having to have the back of my head shaved LOL ^^; my parents however were not amused

Lorny

Post by Lorny » Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:45 am

Unfortunately you need bleach to make these colours vibrant, even on blonde hair. This is cuz when there is no pigment in the hair the colour shows better. Also, bleaching the hair will help keep the colour in longer as its more porous that way.

I was going to say, the only reason your hair fell out was cuz it wasn't done properly. Thankfully I've never had a bad experience with bleach, and have always followed instructions to the letter. Well I don't now cuz being a hairdresser I think I know it all already :lol: . You don't need to use bleach all over your head everytime you colour your hair anyway, which sounds like what you have been doing.

If you have colour still on your hair before you want to change it, use a clarifying shampoo to get as much out as possible, using it everyday if you can. Then do a bleach bath to get the remaining colour out. Once the ends are all colour free, you can go on to bleach the roots, making sure the product doesn't get on already lightened parts.

Littlepinkfaery- Do you mean you had highlights too soon after a root touch up? Cuz you can quite easily do highlights directly after colouring the hair. Maybe she used the wrong percentage of bleach or left it on too long?

Personally, I think no one can actually be 100% certain about the turn out of a chemical process, cuz thats what it is- chemicals. We can only do so much to control what happens to the hair when using them, but hopefully if something does go wrong there is a 'scientific' explanation for it, as opposed to it just being a cock up. Its stuff like that what gives us other hairdressers a bad name.

*EDIT* Grammar.
I am neither blue nor red. I am a proud recruit of the Indecisive Army!

[Tank]

Post by [Tank] » Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:27 pm

I've been a lot of colours, and I've bleached my hair quite a lot (either at home or at a salon whatevs x3) and it's in pretty good condition actually, I deep condition a lot, and even though it's quite dry and I have to trim off dead ends quite a lot, it's in pretty good nick ^^;.
To begin with, a dog is not mad. you see a dog growls when it's angry, and wags its tail when it's pleased. Now I growl when I'm pleased, and wag my tail when I'm angry. Therefore I am mad.

Dark eggy

Post by Dark eggy » Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:41 am

usually my hair isnt too bad with bleachings....

i have really coarse heavy hair, so it can take quite a beating..
formerly Raven

dreamNcolor

Post by dreamNcolor » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:11 pm

littlepinkfaery wrote:not candy floss- but when a hairdresser pulled bleach through too soon after a root tough up- my hair lost all of its natural pigment - no colour would stick at all, except for black, so I had black hair for a couple of years.
I've taken the pigment out of 97% of my hair. :D True white blonde, love it. I've gotten color on small parts accidently, not even worried about it, red didn't even tint it a pink.

To the OP. It was not done properly, as you stated. Depending on how you plan to bleach it, make sure to put a plastic cap over your head to keep the moisture in. It will prevent it from drying, which stops the processing.

Otherwise Lorny has it covered pretty well.
I only dream in color.

Return to “Styling and Color”