Orange streak, oh how do I make thee perfect?

Vicsarina

Orange streak, oh how do I make thee perfect?

Post by Vicsarina » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:00 am

*Maybe made the subject a little dramatic*

So my hair is currently a slightly faded red. Think a faded 'Red tomato' kk shade. I'm going to be dying my hair Nuclear Red, but I wanted an Napalm Orange streak in my fringe.

The question is, do I bleach the streak first, cover it in conditioner and dye the rest Red, and hope it doesn't run. Then dye the streak orange.

Ooor do I dye it all red first, bleach and the dye the streak orange.

I've never done mixed hair colours before other than just highlights. So please help:D
*Rule Obsessor*

ANNloses

Re: Orange streak, oh how do I make thee perfect?

Post by ANNloses » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:25 am

Personally I hate these kinds of dye jobs. I always messed them up. D:
But I think that dying first, then bleaching would be best. Just try to avoid that area too, don't saturate it with too much dye.

Vicsarina

Post by Vicsarina » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:38 am

I suppose it shouldn't matter too much... It's not like I want to go yellow, or a blue or anything.
*Rule Obsessor*

ANNloses

Post by ANNloses » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:45 am

True, but if you bleach first and then the red gets onto that streak, it'll be red, and it won't be able to go orange. :(

Vicsarina

Post by Vicsarina » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:57 am

But that was what the conditioner on the streaky bit was for. So that colour couldn't take.
*Rule Obsessor*

doclocks
Site Admin

Post by doclocks » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:39 am

Honestly, if you are using a sfx type color and you color first, then bleach, the bleach will likely give you the orangish shade you are after. You may have to tone it a bit with more orange, but I think it would be super easy.
Doctored Locks :)
Sophisticated supplies for hair extension architects.
Hair extensions, installation supplies, 300+ free DIY tutorials, classes and installations.

Vicsarina

Post by Vicsarina » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:41 am

It is indeed SFX! So I shall do it that way then:D Thanks!
*Rule Obsessor*

ANNloses

Post by ANNloses » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:51 am

Vicsarina wrote:But that was what the conditioner on the streaky bit was for. So that colour couldn't take.
Hmm, well I tried that before and it kinda bled through the conditioner. Wasn't a deep stain, but it still got through.
Have fun, no matter what your method is, and show me what it looks like after! ^_^

Vicsarina

Post by Vicsarina » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:57 am

I won't use conditioner ever then! I don't use it much atm anyway:$

And I shall show you, even if I look a mess>.<
*Rule Obsessor*

ANNloses

Post by ANNloses » Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:04 am

I hear of people using Vaseline, but I really have no clue how that ends up.

Vicsarina

Post by Vicsarina » Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:07 am

I could imagine it would be difficult to get out without using washing up liquid or something!
*Rule Obsessor*

LizSherman

Post by LizSherman » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:03 pm

I do this quite a bit... Bleach it a fair amount higher than it is now and put the orange over, then wrap the streak with tin foil when you dye the rest (so do the 2 dye jobs seperately) then make sure to shampoo the red a few times (say 3 or 4) after you've coloured it to fade it a bit. That way you shouldn't get too much bleed into the orange with subsequent washes :)

<<Miss_Sami>>

Post by <<Miss_Sami>> » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:36 pm

I used to do it in a similar way to LizSherman. Cept I used to use clingfilm, used to work just fine :)
Sam-I-Am || Flickr || Tumblr

deadteddys

Post by deadteddys » Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:19 pm

Vaseline sounds good, protects your ears and what-not (or your suppose to put it on :D ) when dying/bleaching your hair. When I did my fringe two colours i just separated out the streak in the middle, clipped it away, put on the blue at the sides, clipped them up, changed my gloves then did the pink in the middle, washed that bit out first, then the blue, washed it together and dryed and it turned out fine :)

dreadstarrs

Post by dreadstarrs » Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:43 am

i think the vaseline is for the hair line so your skin doesnt get dyed.
you could try to wrap the part you want to strak in foil while youre doing the red portion. i generally just section off the parts of my hair that i want different colors and clip them pretty well. that *usually* works for me.
when you find yourself on the edge of madness,dive.

** faerie princess **

tazzyface

Post by tazzyface » Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:30 am

I used a similar method to LizSherman's when I dyed my hair black and purple. I put the bleach in my fringe first, then wrapped it in foil. Then I put the black dye on my hair, washed it out after 30 minutes, and by then my fringe was a yellow shade. I put the purple dye in and wrapped it in foil so it wouldn't touch the freshly dyed black, then rinsed it out after an hour.

I use Vaseline on my hairline to protect it from dye, but don't get it in your hair, it's quite difficult to get out...
More human than human

Vicsarina

Post by Vicsarina » Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:39 am

deadteddys wrote:Vaseline sounds good, protects your ears and what-not (or your suppose to put it on :D ) when dying/bleaching your hair. When I did my fringe two colours i just separated out the streak in the middle, clipped it away, put on the blue at the sides, clipped them up, changed my gloves then did the pink in the middle, washed that bit out first, then the blue, washed it together and dryed and it turned out fine :)

The vaseline for the hair line, I understand and use. The vaseline was stated instead of conditioner to saturate the streak so that the red won't take.
*Rule Obsessor*

cherrygloom

Post by cherrygloom » Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:40 pm

Do you know what's even better than vaseline for protecting hairlines etc.? DAX WAX. Fact.

XxPuddingxX

Post by XxPuddingxX » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:46 am

LizSherman wrote:I do this quite a bit... Bleach it a fair amount higher than it is now and put the orange over, then wrap the streak with tin foil when you dye the rest (so do the 2 dye jobs seperately) then make sure to shampoo the red a few times (say 3 or 4) after you've coloured it to fade it a bit. That way you shouldn't get too much bleed into the orange with subsequent washes :)
I agree, the tin foil approach always works best. I've done it on myself using one of those thin metal handed combs to push the tin foil right up to my roots, and it yields a nice, clean look. Though if you're using red and orange, even if you overlap slightly by accident, I don't imagine it will be drastically noticeable (as opposed to say, using green and orange ^^; )

Return to “Styling and Color”