Blonding (Not a Question Like "do i have to bleach my hair"

amiyumi

Blonding (Not a Question Like "do i have to bleach my hair"

Post by amiyumi » Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:21 pm

Oook, so I've bleached my hair, I've used fudge's "a whiter shade of pale" toner and I now have silver shampoo from l'oreal.

Bleached it 3 times, once with manic panic flash lightning (chemical burns, scary stuff) and twice with either smart colour or Jerome Russell stuff.. can't really remember.

But I'm still not satisfied with the colour, it's quite annoying.

Which (UK) products can you recommend? I *could* bleach it again... but i don't know if this will help an awful lot... Would a blonde dye be better? I've used Schwarzkopf "Crystal Blonde" or "Nude Blonde" or something in the past, but it didn't seem to help matters much... so anyone have any experience with this problem?

supervixxen

Re: Blonding (Not a Question Like "do i have to bleach my hair"

Post by supervixxen » Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:56 am

What does the colour look like? If it's very yellow/orange, you'll definitely need to rebleach. If it's just slightly brassy, there are other options. Post a pic...prz?

- supervixxen

Cal

Post by Cal » Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:07 am

Hiya,
what was your hair colour to begin with? and whats the condition of it now? Sometimes certain colours just wont lift out of the hair enough to get it to a pale blonde colour without totally wrecking your hair. If you were bleaching from a dark colour, you might have to do it in stages to get it light enough...eg: bleach, rest period of a week + intensive conditioning, bleach, rest etc etc. If you dont mind going to a salon to have it lightened then look for somewhere that uses Redken products, they have a thing called 'up to 7'...its a lightner thats not totally bleach, but works in the same way only its a hell of a lot kinder 2 your hair. Or find somewhere that uses Wella, and ask if they use the 'high lift' tints....you could always buy this from a salon wholesalers, eg Sallys...if you do, message me and ill give you the code number of the tube that youll need, plus details of peroxide strength etc. If you use a home hairdye, make sure its not an 'ash' blonde, otherwise you may end up with khaki hair :shock:

Hope this helps
Cal

Lorny

Post by Lorny » Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:31 am

Cal wrote:Hiya,
If you dont mind going to a salon to have it lightened then look for somewhere that uses Redken products, they have a thing called 'up to 7'...its a lightner thats not totally bleach, but works in the same way only its a hell of a lot kinder 2 your hair. Or find somewhere that uses Wella, and ask if they use the 'high lift' tints....
Cal
It is my understanding that high lift tints only lift the 'shade' of the hair, and not the 'tone'. Well, yeah it deposits a tone but surely (depending on the hairs current colour- orange/brassy/whatever) won't it just make a lighter orange shade?

This isn't a challenge of knowledge, this is a just a general question. :)

*EDIT* Grammar.
I am neither blue nor red. I am a proud recruit of the Indecisive Army!

Cal

Post by Cal » Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:04 am

Hiya,

High lift tints lift the shade but can also change the tone, eg: you can get ones that have an ash coloured base in them. But using a neutral one, without any tone in it will ususally get rid of orangey because it draws more pigments out of the hair as it lightens, same sorta thing as bleach but kinder.....and on a smaller scale, they wont lighten as much as bleach but if you only need to lift a few shades or change a tone they're 'safer' lol

amiyumi

Post by amiyumi » Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:05 pm

Hey, my hair is just generally yellow-y... its light enough.. just a little too yellow for me lol...

I've noticed, however that at the sides and back a bit the colour is darker and more orange than the rest of the hair, so i think that may be giving it a darker.. more horrible look, so im going to do a spot bleach tomorrow (roots needed done anyway) and do a liht all-over bleach

My hair is white at parts, so this should lift it all to as light as it could go with bleach alone? and then ill see what it's like after a fudge toner

thanks for the suggestions!

supervixxen

Post by supervixxen » Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:24 pm

Cal wrote:If you dont mind going to a salon to have it lightened then look for somewhere that uses Redken products, they have a thing called 'up to 7'...its a lightner thats not totally bleach, but works in the same way only its a hell of a lot kinder 2 your hair.
Redken Up to 7 is a bleach, I promise. I keep a tub on hand and use it when I'm out of my preferred products. Just my opinion, but it's not anything special. I'll use it if I'm out of L'Oreal, Schwarzkopf, Framesi...I think you get the picture ;)
Lorny wrote: It is my understanding that high lift tints only lift the 'shade' of the hair, and not the 'tone'. Well, yeah it deposits a tone but surely (depending on the hairs current colour- orange/brassy/whatever) won't it just make a lighter orange shade?
In my experience, some high lift tints are pigmented enough to shift the tone of the hair. Although they lift warm like most high-lifts, the L'Oreal Majirel high-lift tints are pretty decent. Schwarzkopf's Igora Royale 12 series are my favourites by far. I'm not usually a fan of high lift tint, but when you need a light, clear blonde with absolutely no yellow, the 12.2, a blue-based dye, is the way to go. Match that up with some 30 volume developer, and you have "white" highlights. I love the stuff, and it's not overly damaging...I'd say it's on par with a nice cream bleach like L'Oreal MajiMeches. No breakage, but the client should deep condition.
amiyumi wrote:Hey, my hair is just generally yellow-y... its light enough.. just a little too yellow for me lol...

I've noticed, however that at the sides and back a bit the colour is darker and more orange than the rest of the hair, so i think that may be giving it a darker.. more horrible look, so im going to do a spot bleach tomorrow (roots needed done anyway) and do a liht all-over bleach

My hair is white at parts, so this should lift it all to as light as it could go with bleach alone? and then ill see what it's like after a fudge toner

I think a spot bleach with a light (20 volume) bleaching is the best thing you can do. Make sure to cover the bleach with a cap and apply some gentle heat from a blowdryer. If that won't get you light, the only thing I can think of is adding highlights with stronger bleach or a high-lift tint, but that would be pretty high-maintenance.

Good luck!!

- supervixxen

dreamNcolor

Post by dreamNcolor » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:56 pm

supervixxen wrote: Redken Up to 7 is a bleach, I promise. I keep a tub on hand and use it when I'm out of my preferred products. Just my opinion, but it's not anything special. I'll use it if I'm out of L'Oreal, Schwarzkopf, Framesi...I think you get the picture ;)
I love some of Redkens products, but if I'm out of bleach, I'd rather just wait vs. Up to 7. I feel like your taking a chemical wrecking ball to someone's hair with that poo. BW2 gets the same vote.
by amiyumi on Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:05 am

Hey, my hair is just generally yellow-y... its light enough.. just a little too yellow for me lol...

Having white blonde hair can be some up keep!! I agree with Vixen, spot treatments with 10/20 vol + cap is best. Only use heat if they it's allowed, some bleaches do not reccomend it. When retouching, also use a plastic cap.

If you still have issues with the yellow-y orangish tones, try toning with a Blue Violet Toner.
I only dream in color.

amiyumi

Post by amiyumi » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:18 pm

supervixxen wrote:
In my experience, some high lift tints are pigmented enough to shift the tone of the hair. Although they lift warm like most high-lifts, the L'Oreal Majirel high-lift tints are pretty decent. Schwarzkopf's Igora Royale 12 series are my favourites by far. I'm not usually a fan of high lift tint, but when you need a light, clear blonde with absolutely no yellow, the 12.2, a blue-based dye, is the way to go. Match that up with some 30 volume developer, and you have "white" highlights. I love the stuff, and it's not overly damaging...I'd say it's on par with a nice cream bleach like L'Oreal MajiMeches. No breakage, but the client should deep condition.

Thanks I tried the bleach bath and it worked, after I used some more toner!

Thanks for hte advice. I'm not a professional hairdresser, but i've always wanted to use these products, as they're easily available on the internet, but could you tell me what do you use the tubes with.. does it matter if it's cream or powder developer? how do you know which strength to use and does it matter which brand?

I'm sure it would save a lot of time if i knew how to use them and didnt have to bleach, semi-perm tone, bleach, semi-perm tone, bleachbath, semi-perm tone and keep toning as it fades..

Return to “Styling and Color”