What do you think of hairdye colors..

Post by Acorn » Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:21 am

:D :D :D excellent
:) :) good
:( disappointing

Stargazer magenta :D :D :D
excellent stay power and gorgeous color

stargazer yellow :) :)
works well surprisingly! didn't expect it to even work ion my hair but it came out a lovely lemony neon yellow, but did need retouching often

stargazer royal blue :(
from what i can remember, i was very disappointed with this, more toxic greeny than blue!!

stargazer ultra blue :) :)
not too bad, i mixed it with stargazer blue black and i got a color similar to SFX blue mayhem that lasted longer!

stargazer blue black :) :)
imo, the only stargazer to go actually blue. its not blue black at all! the blue is nice but lasts very little and transfers onto EVERYTHING!

Manic panic atomic turquoise :(
gorgeous color, but doesn't last at all, and is more green than blueish imo

SFX blue mayhem :) :)
nice color, fades to a lovely purple blue but just didn't have the lasting power i expected from SFX, too expensive to start fading fairly much after 3 washes

feel free to add! :mrgreen:
I bent my wookie!!

[Tank]

Re: What do you think of hairdye colors..

Post by [Tank] » Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:23 pm

RAW True Blue (or Peek-A-Blue) :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D... :P, yeah ok, so I may be going a little overboard here.

I've tried a hundred blues (well, four..) and this was by and large the best. Lasts FOREVER. I kid you not, I got to three months (!!!) before I had to bleach it out. The colour faded beautifully, even as it got lighter and lost it's glossiness it still looked fabulous. The only down-sides I could find was that my roots grew out and I had trouble matching the colour and that during the first week it stained EVERYTHING, although that was partially my fault as I didnt rinse it enough.

I've tried a lot of hair dyes and I'll try'n remember to come back to this, but that was my last colour and it did a stand-up job so I figured I'd right a quick review xD
To begin with, a dog is not mad. you see a dog growls when it's angry, and wags its tail when it's pleased. Now I growl when I'm pleased, and wag my tail when I'm angry. Therefore I am mad.

IKickShins

Post by IKickShins » Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:55 pm

SFX Purple Haze :(
Purple Haze is a gorgeous color once you get it to set (looks like medium purple kk when you use it over #613), but it's so light and it doesn't take as readily as a lot of other colors so you have to use WAY more of it than expected. Whenever I make streaks with it, I have to dye them 2-3 times before it looks right because even when the hair *looks* totally saturated, it doesn't always take evenly.

SFX Atomic Pink, Cupcake Pink, BAF Yellow, Limelight, Fishbowl, Pimpin' Purple, Blood Red, Candy Apple Red, Sonic Green, Electric Blue :D :D :D
I swear by SFX. I've had Blood Red last in my real hair for almost 3 months before. Their colors are vibrant, the consistency is easy to work with, and they last really long.

SFX Deep Purple :) :)
This color is really gorgeous and it will stick to your hair if you so much as GLANCE at it, but since it's so strong it also bleeds like crazy -- way more than any other purple I've ever used. I made a clip-in fringe that was dyed with it last week, and after 20 minutes of rinsing the water was still running out of it bright purple. I can't imagine actually dying your hair this color because of it rubbing off so badly.

Manic Panic Amplified Raven, Nefertiti, and Cobra :D :D :D
I usually stay away from regular Manic Panic dyes because I've found they don't last as long or stay vibrant as well as SFX, but the Amplified Formula is really great and the consistency's a lot easier to work with. Raven isn't a jet black, so beware of that -- when you rinse it, medium brown comes out -- but as long as you're prepared for a more off-black, it's great. The Cobra dyed over #613 looks just like #10 kk. I like using it to add streaks to my hair because it's very subtle over browns. The Nefertiti is my favorite of the three; it's a rich, deep reddish brown, and it takes more quickly than the Cobra.
I Kick Shins - Now stocking olive green, pistachio, & neon purple kk jumbo braid!
IKS @ Etsy - Clip-in streaks & top hats galore!
Facebook - You know the drill ;)

dreamNcolor

Post by dreamNcolor » Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:22 pm

ikickshins wrote:SFX Purple Haze :(
Purple Haze is a gorgeous color once you get it to set (looks like medium purple kk when you use it over #613), but it's so light and it doesn't take as readily as a lot of other colors so you have to use WAY more of it than expected. Whenever I make streaks with it, I have to dye them 2-3 times before it looks right because even when the hair *looks* totally saturated, it doesn't always take evenly.

SFX Atomic Pink, Cupcake Pink, BAF Yellow, Limelight, Fishbowl, Pimpin' Purple, Blood Red, Candy Apple Red, Sonic Green, Electric Blue :D :D :D
I swear by SFX. I've had Blood Red last in my real hair for almost 3 months before. Their colors are vibrant, the consistency is easy to work with, and they last really long.
Agreed!! I used purple haze twice to try & justify it, but it still came out lighter then I expected and was relatively gone after two washes. :(

Never did yellow or limelight, but the rest were amazing colors. :D :D :D
I only dream in color.

Acorn

Post by Acorn » Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:01 pm

[Tank] wrote:RAW True Blue (or Peek-A-Blue) :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D... :P, yeah ok, so I may be going a little overboard here.
really? where can i buy it??ookin for a reallllly good light blue, sick of sfx blue mayhem darkness
I bent my wookie!!

LifeDeathRebirth

Post by LifeDeathRebirth » Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:43 pm

SFX Deep Purple :) :)
This is a beautiful color and lasts long. It fades beautifully. My only issue with this color is it bleeds/rubs off on everything more than any other color I've ever used. But since I love the color so much, I can deal with that.

SFX Blue Velvet :D :D :D
Amazing color that lasted months. It faded nicely. This color bled and rubbed off a bit, but not near as bad as the Deep Purple.

SFX Atomic Pink, Hi Octane Orange :D :D :D
Both lasted months on my hair without fading much, the Atomic Pink being obviously pink and bright for well over a year. Neither one bled or rubbed off much.

SFX Pimpin' Purple :) :)
This color was nice, but faded faster than the above colors (it also faded nicely). I find that by mixing a tiny bit of Deep Purple in with it, that it lasts longer and is more of a true purple.

SFX Cherry Bomb :) :)
When using this color alone, it fades to a pink within 2-3 washings. I was disappointed with that. However, it does remain bright for quite some time. Now, I've mixed this with Blood Red and I love that combination. It comes out a true red and stays red for weeks to over a month before fading pinky. It bled and stained my bathtub the first few washings, but the stains faded gradually without doing anything (from the shampoo and soap that ended up in the bathtub from showering).

SFX Napalm Orange :D :D :D
This is an amazing color, nice and bright. I've only had this on my hair for a few weeks, but it's going strong. It didn't bleed much and doesn't rub off much. It came off of my skin very easily just by using soap and water. My roots in front are getting a little yellow, but that's probably because of my face soap. I don't mind the yellow though since I like that Autumn leave look that I've seen other people get as this color fades (and you can't see it unless my hair is pulled back).

SFX Blood Red :) :)
I wasn't impressed with this color on it's own. It doesn't bleed badly, but it doesn't last long at all. Mixing it with Cherry Bomb gives you much better results.

Manic Panic Electric Banana :D :D :D
I used this color on someone else's hair and it turned out amazing compared to the other colors I've seen. It came out nice and bright and stayed that way until the person bleached it out. I might give this color a try myself (even though I hate this brand).

That's all I can remember off hand, though there are others I've used.
Last edited by LifeDeathRebirth on Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
born in the dust and cradled in the dark

LifeDeathRebirth

Post by LifeDeathRebirth » Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:44 pm

Acorn wrote:
[Tank] wrote:RAW True Blue (or Peek-A-Blue) :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D... :P, yeah ok, so I may be going a little overboard here.
really? where can i buy it??ookin for a reallllly good light blue, sick of sfx blue mayhem darkness
As far as I know, Hot Topic is the only place that carries Raw. I believe it's made exclusively for them.
born in the dust and cradled in the dark

Acorn

Post by Acorn » Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:12 pm

awa thats a pity :(
I bent my wookie!!

Return to “Styling and Color”