Hair becoming bleach resistant?

LittlePinkFaery

Hair becoming bleach resistant?

Post by LittlePinkFaery » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:36 pm

Right...people who bleach their hair at home regularly...I have been bleaching for over a year and it seems my roots are growing resistant to bleaching, never quite going blonde enough, leaving me with a dullish look. I am not happy. I have tried swapping box bleaches, through to 40% bleach...the roots take so long to turn...anyone experienced their outs becoming more resistant to bleach? I am about to go back to the 40% again as my hair looks so dull without bright platinum roots...toners are not helping as there isn't an orange tone to be rid of...hmmmm

Lorny

Re: Hair becoming bleach resistant?

Post by Lorny » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:21 am

Do you have many greys? Those can be quite resistant and need a little longer to take. How long have you been keeping the bleach on for?

LittlePinkFaery

Post by LittlePinkFaery » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:47 pm

Hi, I have no greys :) I tend to leave it on for 45-50 minutes.

I have been told to use clarifying shampoo and not condition the day before bleaching - that might work?

Lorny

Post by Lorny » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:33 am

Well bleach goes through anything, regardless of what is on the hair! That advice is better if you are using a bog standard boxed hair colour.

To get my hair to platinum, I have to leave the bleach on for around two and a half hours with 30vol. I also plonk fresh 40vol bleach on my parting and front hairline for the last fifteen minutes for a bit of a boost. I have quite dark hair naturally though. Hair that has more red tones in it takes longer to lift too.

If you get absolutely desperate, toners aren't just for orange hair. Purple toners get rid of yellow tones in the hair, which should give the illusion of brighter hair, but it all depends on how light you get your hair to start.

LittlePinkFaery

Post by LittlePinkFaery » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:43 am

I am a natural red head, though it is more of a brown red these days, roots look dark. I have been using a mix of box dye then a bleach the next time. I have always been scared to leave it on longer than an hour...maybe I should!

[Phexxie]

Post by [Phexxie] » Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:02 pm

Bit of an old post, but wanted to add that I'm a natural red head too, and my hair is very bleach resistant... I figured it was the curse of the red-head gene, mega resilient hair :|

LittlePinkFaery

Post by LittlePinkFaery » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:53 pm

Thank you! Not just me! It seems to go sometimes but not others- currently going thought another yellow roots stage!

Return to “Styling and Color”