Red Hair. GREASY. Help?

paran0ir

Red Hair. GREASY. Help?

Post by paran0ir » Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:01 am

Been colouring my hair SFX red for about two months now, and in the past few weeks I've noticed it gets really greasy in one day. and I mean REALLY greasy. it's not pleasant. naturally, using anti-grease shampoo strips the colour and I can't afford to top it up every other week.

any suggestions? has this happened to anyone before?

Acorn

Re: Red Hair. GREASY. Help?

Post by Acorn » Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:20 am

not sure how to cure it, but as a blue head my hair color fades faaaast. invest in a can of dry shampoo and spray and comb through every morning. i only wash my hair once every 3 days now and its fine!
I bent my wookie!!

iamtheparty

Post by iamtheparty » Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:45 pm

Have you changed ANYTHING in your haircare routine lately? I was needing to wash my hair every day a while ago (and I can normally go up to a week!) and I realised that a couple of months before I'd switched shampoo. I changed my shampoo again and the problem went away.

Other than that, dry shampoo is a friend to unnaturally coloured hair!! And, assuming you top up your colour a couple of times between bleaches, wash it with a clarifying shampoo before you apply colour. It always makes my hair amazingly shiny and it lasts longer before the next wash.
Birthdays was the worst days, now we sip champagne when we thirstay.....

http://www.facebook.com/forgottennegatives

Elisha24

Post by Elisha24 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:23 am

Yeah I have the same problem, I shampoo twice about once a week. I also use talcum powder between washes (you can use dry shampoo too, I just find talc a cheaper option)

Raevyn

Post by Raevyn » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:27 am

I have red hair too, and I've found that if I get my hairdresser to put foils in my hair first, it doesn't go as greasy (maybe because the bleach make my hair dry? not sure) and also after shampoo and conditioner, I wash just the top roots and fron with Lush shampoo bar in shine I think it is - if I can pull my finger down the hair shaft in the shower and hear a squeak sound, it's clean enough that it won't grease up for a couple of days.
Not sure what it is about red hair that makes it look dirty so quickly!
"There's a dress code and your skirt needs to actually cover your ass... I don't care where your tattoo is, you cannot show crack at the office."

LizSherman

Post by LizSherman » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:48 am

This is odd indeed!
I would reccomend investing in a nice synthetic bristle brush, this can help to distribute the natural oils all the way along the hair and prevent root build-up.
Use a shampoo for greasy hair, such as I love juicy by lush. Make sure you don't over wash, as this'll only make it greasier.
Has your shampoo or conditioner got silicones in it? This will make your hair very greasy.

dreamNcolor

Post by dreamNcolor » Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:09 pm

Use a clarifying shampoo to handle the greasiness, also a nice bristle brush works awesome too, just don't scrap it against your scalp before a bleaching!

A lot of times it can be a build up from the shampoo/conditioner your using, try switching to something else. I wouldn't reccomend one for oily hair unless the problem was pre-exisiting before this or conitnues after you have tried another shampoo & conitioner.

What I do personally is wash my hair 2, sometime 3 times a week. I shampoo once with a super strong shampoo, then another shampoo. My hair won't get a greasy look for 3-4 days. :)
I only dream in color.

Recovery_One

Post by Recovery_One » Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:22 pm

I love my bright red hair, I've had it for 5 years now, and I used L'oreal Majirel and a 6% bleach cream, I actually have really dark brown hair, but using the bleach gets me a fantastic shade of red....Like thisI wash my hair everyday to every other day and the colour holds really great, and theres no greasyness or rapid colour fade. I probably do my hair once a month or longer depending on roots. Also I know a worry is hair being straw like but using a good conditioner will really help avoid this :)
Shelia come back to me! I made you a Muffin!
Bow-Chicka-Bow-Wow!
You can't die I'm bored!
Hey Grif com'ere let me paint a bulls eye on your back... and by bulls eye I ofcourse mean camoflage.

Return to “Styling and Color”