Problem with purple dye

zombie.asparagus

Problem with purple dye

Post by zombie.asparagus » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:14 pm

For some reason my hair doesn't want to go full purple, only bits of it will, the rest stays yellowy. Currently I have pink hair and it sticks perfectly. You think it could work maybe blending red and blue instead of going for a purple dye? I have no experience with neither of those colours, but I want my purple! <:

So, my question is, is it worth trying?
Festival coming up soon and I haven't even started with my dreads. Haha. Can't be bothered with failed hair colour xD

SammiiSynthetic

Re: Problem with purple dye

Post by SammiiSynthetic » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:15 am

I'm pretty sure its the brand of dye :p plus you usually want close to white hair for purple. Well, depending on the shade of purple. But it should be a very light yellow.
Anyway, what brand(s) of dye did you try?

I wouldn't really wanna get 2 dyes just to make 1... i'd rather just buy one good purple :p
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Sammiissynthetics

http://www.facebook.com/SammiisSynthetics

I make synthetic dreads c:

I'm accepting custom orders!

danixdorko

Post by danixdorko » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:21 am

Agreeing with Sammii here, your hair has to be super light yellow, if not white. Yellow and Purple neutralize each other, so if you aren't light enough you'll more or less tone the yellow down with a purple color.
Also, brand matters, it seems each brand has a hit or miss color. Which have you tried?
-Indecisive Army-

Sunshine Button.

Miss Liberty

Post by Miss Liberty » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:53 pm

You could try mixing Special Effects Deep Purple with a little bit of Blood Red. That might give you a more red based purple that would cover yellow. I myself just mixed Blood Red with Electric Blue last night. I did it about 60/40 with more red than blue. Instead of getting purple, I got a very deep merlot color. 50/50 might yield purple, but most likely not a bright enough result to make you happy.

zombie.asparagus

Post by zombie.asparagus » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:37 am

Directions lilac and violet are the ones i've tried, both were equally bad on me ^^ i want the purple dammit! my hair was as light as i could get it, bleached even more after because the yellow looked darker when dyed, but it didn't like it very much.

I wantz them purple dreadies!

I've cut off a lot of my hair since then though, and the old hair was just gum. What I was stupid to do a few years back still hangs on. But it might look better now. Since I'm gonna have dreads in I could buy a nice purple and just focus on the bangs (which actually have looked, well, purple) and the top layer of the hair which will show on the dreads on the top :) gonna look rather strange afterwards though haha

Is it just Directions or is it my rather damaged hair that did it? I'm sure I can get a hold of Stargazer too.

SammiiSynthetic

Post by SammiiSynthetic » Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:36 am

hm, well...
usually more damaged hair holds onto dye even better. But it can be TOO damaged.

And from what i've heard, stargazer isn't that great. But y'never know, maybe you should try it ^_^
Not everyones hair is the same. I mean, manic panic works well for some people, but most its pretty horrible :p
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Sammiissynthetics

http://www.facebook.com/SammiisSynthetics

I make synthetic dreads c:

I'm accepting custom orders!

AnarchoFett

Post by AnarchoFett » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:27 pm

I've been very happy with Splat color, it's been much better than Manic Panic for me. I've only used their Raspberry and haven't tried purple but I don't think they sell purple in their retail line. If you want it badly enough I believe you can order it from their online store
A revolution without dancing is a revolution not worth having -V

Ogichi

Post by Ogichi » Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:43 pm

Like someone already said, try mixing some pink/red with your favoured purple color, so it'll have a nice magenta-ish tint that might stick better... And you should consider trying a violet shampoo prior to coloring. ;)

Return to “Styling and Color”