bright yellow roots? (another white hair thread... sorry!)

mandy

bright yellow roots? (another white hair thread... sorry!)

Post by mandy » Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:15 am

For those of you that have platinum/white blonde hair, do you have difficulty toning your roots at all? Is it normal to not be able to tone roots right after bleaching them?

I have white hair, and naturally a light brown hair color. Whenever I bleach my roots they always go a pale pale yellow that I *think* is light enough to tone (its even lighter than #613 extensions, just for a color reference!) but for some reason using toner or a purple shampoo (loreal shimmering lights) tones the rest of my hair white/blue but washes right off of my roots. Its so frustrating and its a problem I constantly have! After a while my hair goes white just from using a purple shampoo every day, but by the time that happens my roots have already grown in and I need to bleach them again :(

I've read that a bleach bath helps after bleaching, has anyone tried that before? I'm just not sure if processing my roots again would make a difference because I don't think they could physically get any lighter! Perhaps they are just too dark? I'm not sure why they eventually go light if that is the case though! I'm just totally stumped.

Here is a picture of my (freshly bleached) roots, in comparison to the rest of my hair... sorry for the crappy lighting and no face! it's bedtime by me, lol.

Bomber

Re: bright yellow roots? (another white hair thread... sorry

Post by Bomber » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:14 am

Newer hair is just less porous, even after bleaching is all. They eventually go white because toning shampoos and dyes are harsh on the hair structure, and after a few uses rough up the hair enough to get the pigment to deposit better.

It happens to everyone, you could try another lift with a bleach bath but chances are it won't make any difference

mandy

Post by mandy » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:06 am

ah bummer! I didn't know toning shampoos and dyes worked like that, just assumed they were like normal shapoos and such. :P thanks for the reply. I guess I'll just have to live with it... bleh.

ShadowThrone

Post by ShadowThrone » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:20 am

I find leaving the shampoo on for about 15/20 mins right after bleaching helps for me, then I use purple shampoo every wash for about a week. Tends to sort it out :)

beccah

Post by beccah » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:35 pm

I have similar roots. What I do is mix purple dye with shampoo to make a slightly stronger toner than the toner I use everyday. I use that on my roots,and the normal one on the lengths. Leave it for 15 mins and you should be good to go.

Return to “Styling and Color”