Help with permanent colour washing out.

Nanou2

Help with permanent colour washing out.

Post by Nanou2 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:07 pm

I had black hair a few months back and Was fed up of dying it. I wanted my natural lighter colour back (Ash brown). I did a few bleach baths and got it light enough to colour it. I put a toner on it until I got the hair in good condition again to dye properly. My hair seems pretty decent condition now. I have done some protein repair treatments, olive oil masks and just conditioning the hell out of it. I put an ash brown colour on it and it went the exact colour I was after. First wash it lightened a bit which I thought was normal and would stay the same colour from then on. 2nd, 3rd, 4th wash its dramatically lighter and I'm closer to a light brown/blonde.

I remember something about porous hair not holding colour and having to do a protein filler. I was wondering why a vegetable based dye (manic panic) works better on bleached hair but permanent dye washes out of damaged hair?

How can I get the colour to stay in my hair?

Thanks!

MrsEss

Re: Help with permanent colour washing out.

Post by MrsEss » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:32 pm

I'm not the most learned on the subject, however I remember reading about if your hair has been conditioned before colouring the conditioner creates a "protective coat" over your hair, making it harder for your hair to take the colour as well.

When I bleached mine to colour it red it was in pretty dire condition & the colour (permanent) always washed out.

I'm not much more help I'm afraid.
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Socially awkward since 1982
Decimation Fashion
Tumblr
Formerly known as DreadstarMonstar

Nanou2

Post by Nanou2 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:53 pm

I always dye my hair on 2-3day unwashed hair. Maybe I should shampoo my hair with no conditioner and then dye a couple of days after... :? I'm clueless! ha

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:06 pm

No, that's how I did mine. Hmmm. Maybe try a different brand of hair colour?
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Socially awkward since 1982
Decimation Fashion
Tumblr
Formerly known as DreadstarMonstar

Nanou2

Post by Nanou2 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:11 pm

That's the thing. I use only hair colour brands with good reviews. I have dyed my hair twice now with different brands and same thing.

I think it just needs more healing time. :(

Couture_Coiffure

Post by Couture_Coiffure » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:42 am

Aside from what Madii mentioned, something for everyone to keep in mind is that using a box dye [i.e. something you buy at the drug store that comes in a kit] over bleached hair is not a good idea and could result in faster fading or unusual colors. Maybe try using a semi-perm color while your hair repairs itself enough to attempt another dye.
Angel de'Vil Designs | Website | Shop | Blog | Facebook

Nanou2

Post by Nanou2 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:12 pm

Thanks.

I did some research on how to go about helping repair the cuticles. Along with protein fillers, apparently putting something acidic on your hair after washing then rinsing it out with cold water can help tighten and smooth the cuticles back down also making the hair more shiny. Apple cider vinegar or lemon juice can be used.

I did a protein repair condition last night which I left on for 2hours followed by a lemon juice rinse. I think I will keep dong this and get a semi permanent dye until it's repaired.

I would love to do a henna dye but I don't want any red tones in my hair.

rivetlicker_

Post by rivetlicker_ » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:07 pm

Bleaching + permanent dye does not go hand in hand unfortunately >_<

CryptiquesBizarre

Post by CryptiquesBizarre » Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:11 am

I think this may also be the case of everyone's hair is different. While the color won't hold s well over bleached hair, I agree fully with Couture_Coiffure. When I first started dying my hair, we got the boxes; however, when I got older I tried using a box dye ONCE and it washed out in 2-3 weeks (and it was a permanent dye too). I stick to clairol color to mix with a developer as I've never had an issue with it.
I hope you'll be able to get your hair to the color you want soon.

Return to “Styling and Color”