Hair style/cut suggestions please?

Tipsyxx

Hair style/cut suggestions please?

Post by Tipsyxx » Sun May 29, 2011 2:10 am

I'm somewhat wanting to go for a shoulder-length cut. but my hair is so thick that it kinda just poofs out when its short.

A few notes about my hair. Its VERY THICK. Semi coarse. naturally a mix of Curly & wavy & a few chunks of straight hair.
I straighten it most of the time because when i don't use any product, or if I do even one thing wrong. my hair fluffs up and is extremely huge o.o

Heres currently what my hair looks like, except more one-length and grown out.

I look terrible in the picture. i was tired and forced to take a photo >.<

with straight hair-

old picture of me with short hair. understood, my facial features have changed a bit since then o.o at least I think they have. and my hair has thickened since then.

the length I'm aiming for is about...

Couture_Coiffure

Re: Hair style/cut suggestions please?

Post by Couture_Coiffure » Sun May 29, 2011 2:39 am

You have lovely hair. :)

Would suggest layers in front and definitely ask for the cut to be razored. This will not only give you softer ends, but it will also take out some of the bulk of your hair without losing more length than you want.

Have you tried to tame the poof? I would imagine there's some lovely waves and/or curls that could be coaxed out.
Angel de'Vil Designs | Website | Shop | Blog | Facebook

Tipsyxx

Post by Tipsyxx » Sun May 29, 2011 2:43 am

Thank you.

and oh.. have i tried, many many times. many products.

I can't blow dry. at all. My hair must be air-dried. and most of the time i put my hair up in a loose messy bun on the tip top of my head to keep the curls, and keep the roots from straightening out from the weight of my hair. yet my curls always flop and are uneven =[

Sprays never work, always either make my hair greasy, or crunchy.

this is what happens when stylists try to tame my hair.
she used way too much product. yuck. crunchy nasty hair.

I do have a diffuser attachment for my hair dryer, but it still frizzes up my hair on low settings.

and i do what they say in this guide - http://www.ehow.com/how_7386811_use-diffuser-curls.html

but please if anyone has any suggestions, anything that will flatter my face more. fringe style included. My bangs are grown out and a complete mess! >.< I have a natural part that will not go away no matter what i do. so full front fringes aren't really a good idea for me. as they would just naturally flop to the side.

UrbanHairDesigns

Post by UrbanHairDesigns » Sun May 29, 2011 3:22 am

You need one length with layers. I know it as square layers (paul mitchell). Also, you might want to suggest in super skinny relaxing balm. There is other products like it, however I don't know anything outside of PM.
http://www.ModernSophistication.com
Tailor made hair additions

Tipsyxx

Post by Tipsyxx » Sun May 29, 2011 3:50 am

My hair is layered. I never touch a blunt cut.

iddylove

Post by iddylove » Sun May 29, 2011 4:40 am

i agree with a razored cut.
a square layer would give her a weight line that she doesnt need. most likely resulting in excess poof. lol. i do second the super skinny notion though. great stuff. or redken smooth down. equally awesome.

..::AtomicLox::..

Post by ..::AtomicLox::.. » Sun May 29, 2011 5:16 am

ooooh I love a challenge!

First of all, no disrespect to the previous suggestions, but i wouldn't bother with superskinny if you're fussy about product getting greasy. That stuff is like watermelon scented hair oil. It helps if you have crazy damage, frizz and slit ends, but won't do much to tame the bulk. I like redken's smooth down a little better. :)
I agree that you need layers, but you need to see a stylist that's comfortable with disconnected layers. Many aren't. You want to steer clear of anything super-uniform or you're going to end up making the boxiness worse instead of better. Razor the shit out of it! You want tons of texture. Also, if you can find someone that correctly knows how to use texturizing you shears (aka "thinning shears") they can be super helpful for taking bulk out of the ends!
When you wear your hair curly, don't use a ton of product. Hairspray can spell disaster for curls, in my opinion! I'd recommend a curl enhancing cream or balm texture, and only just a little. Apply to damp hair and then grab completely random sections and twirl around your finger into what I can only describe as ringlets. Let it stay that way and air dry as long as you can stand and then gently shake it out. Best trick ever.
Also, try It's a Ten leave in conditioner spray if you can find some!
The mind and hands behind Imp And Petal dreads!

http://www.impandpetal.etsy.com
http://www.facebook.com/ImpAndPetal

Tipsyxx

Post by Tipsyxx » Sun May 29, 2011 7:14 am

Thank you atomiclox.

My hair doesn't really frizz. as its just high volume, and gets very fluffy.

Whenever I would get my hair cut at a salon, which I've been having the same girl do my hair for the past few years [Shes really into the shattered layer type styles] but she tends to put too much product on. makes my hair sticky.

but my main concern is, I don't know if I can pull off a short style anymore. My cheekbone shape has changed a bit and i can never get my bangs to look right. they always look odd to me. in the last picture with the full-front fringe, my cheekbones look weird. i Usually have em side-swept. I can never get the proper length though. Right now they are down to my lips when i brush them forward.

This is a headache for me. I just wanna go in the bathroom and chop my hair off because of the weather [its so freakin hot]

Post by ..::AtomicLox::.. » Sun May 29, 2011 3:05 pm

I think your cheekbones look weird in that shot 'cause you're making a silly face. :P

What's your issue with your cheekbones? I see nothing wrong with them, not even from a stylist's point of view (which is trained to very sweetly suggest things that would help even stuff out lol). Honestly I can't tell if you think they're too round or too thin!

I think something around this length in the front would look great:

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Sun May 29, 2011 3:19 pm

Ima play devils advocate here ;)

Ever considered an undercut? Or at the very least shaving the sides off?

I have thick hair, OK not wavy but still. I have a very high undercut which helps thin my hair our, I also razor cut it to create layers, uniform & even is a no no with my hair. I just hack chunks out of it.

Yeah, that's my 2p worth.
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Socially awkward since 1982
Decimation Fashion
Tumblr
Formerly known as DreadstarMonstar

diversityhair

Post by diversityhair » Sun May 29, 2011 3:26 pm

Tbh, i really love your hair in the first pic (as it is now)... the layers and natural wave etc, gorgeous! If it was me, id just get the ends tidied and enjoy having awesome hair!
http://www.diversityhair.co.uk - NEW SITE 20/06/11
Hair Extensions, Hairdressing and Supplies
http://twitter.com/Jenna_Diversity - Twitter for site updates and everything else
http://www.facebook.com/diversityhair - Diversity Hair facebook page for updates on products, photos etc.

iddylove

Post by iddylove » Sun May 29, 2011 3:48 pm

as long as you only use a tiny bit those products shouldnt make your hair greasy.
and i love the picture of the cut atomiclox posted. really cute.

ah! undercuts a good idea too. i wish i had thick hair so i could do it :( its would look crazy with my fine curly hair though lol

poxabomination

Post by poxabomination » Sun May 29, 2011 4:10 pm

iddylove wrote:as long as you only use a tiny bit those products shouldnt make your hair greasy.
and i love the picture of the cut atomiclox posted. really cute.

ah! undercuts a good idea too. i wish i had thick hair so i could do it :( its would look crazy with my fine curly hair though lol
UNDERCUUUTTTS! I have to agree with this idea. I have HUGE stupid fluffy thick crazy wavy curly hair, and it was a nightmare before I shaved the sides of my head to a mohawk. Now its a lot more reasonable and I hardly ever want to light it on fire anymore :lol: I only have SLIGHTLY more hair than the average person now :P Maybe its too extreme for you, but I assure you it feels wonderful to have the breeze on your bare scalp. :lol:
"Distant beavers sound the alarm"

"Its not stylish if you look witty."

Tipsyxx

Post by Tipsyxx » Sun May 29, 2011 4:22 pm

I actually have been considering a little bit of an undercut. like just shave offf the hair that lines up below my ears.
take a little bit off at a time until i feel its comfortable. LOl. im not the type to just shave off my beautiful hair all at once. My hair is one of my best assets. I know people would kill to have thick voluptuous hair like mine. I love it also. but its a mess to handle.

I really do love this girls hair.

Seen curly & straight.

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Sun May 29, 2011 4:57 pm

Mine was a gradual increase too, lining up with my ears to start off with & then it got higher & higher. So high infact, last year I has a chelsea :P

Oh yeah...I like your hair too btw ;)
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Socially awkward since 1982
Decimation Fashion
Tumblr
Formerly known as DreadstarMonstar

Post by ..::AtomicLox::.. » Sun May 29, 2011 7:22 pm

That cut is cuuuute!

iddylove

Post by iddylove » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:01 am

bah! i love the first picture where she has it waved! eff now i miss my teal hair :(

mido_13

Post by mido_13 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:55 pm

good cut

Return to “Styling and Color”