Anyone who has/had turquoise/teal hair...

pinkkitten

Anyone who has/had turquoise/teal hair...

Post by pinkkitten » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:59 pm

Ok, so I'm having coloured hair withdrawals...

I've decided (now as my hair has grown out a fair bit) to try putting some chunks of turquoise in my black hair. That way work should be ok and I can gradually add more and more... muahaha!

Just wanted the advice of anyone on here who's dyed their hair teal or turquoise as to which is the best dye to use. Am I safe in assuming Special Effects Fish Bowl would have the best staying power? I've been Atomic pink on and off for the last 5 years.

When I had platinum hair I did have a chunk of turquoise in it then but I just bought a cheap directions one (as I was diluting my conditioner with it to help tone the white) but, as usually happens with directions, it kept fading constantly!
Last edited by pinkkitten on Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brandalynn

Re: Anyone who has/has turquoise/teal hair...

Post by brandalynn » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:04 pm

I used directions turquoise and couldn't get it out of my hair. I had it in for 3 months before I gave up on trying to fade it and used color remover.

*edited to add* There were chunks of directions lagoon in my hair and it stayed just as well. I don't know if it was because of my hair type or what, but both of those blues stayed in too well.
"Behind every great man is a woman rolling her eyes" --- bumper sticker---

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:05 pm

Colour/styling section of the board would be better for this. Probably have the answers there.

What I will say is for a shade of blue like that your hair will have to be as white as you can get it.
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Socially awkward since 1982
Decimation Fashion
Tumblr
Formerly known as DreadstarMonstar

pinkkitten

Post by pinkkitten » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:12 pm

brandalynn wrote:I used directions turquoise and couldn't get it out of my hair. I had it in for 3 months before I gave up on trying to fade it and used color remover.
Oh right! That's good to know, maybe it was because my hair was white, maybe there wasn't enough pigment for it to attach itself to >.< Maybe I'll give it another chance, in fact I probably still have the dye somewhere. Thanks :)
DreadstarMonstar wrote:Colour/styling section of the board would be better for this. Probably have the answers there.

What I will say is for a shade of blue like that your hair will have to be as white as you can get it.
Oops, my bad! I've re-posted it in the Style & Colour section. Yeah I realise it'll have to be white to get it turquoise, but I don't think I'd mind a bit of a green tint to it so it looks more of a teal... will see how it turns out :)

space_waste

Re: Anyone who has/had turquoise/teal hair...

Post by space_waste » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:08 am

I've always had good experiences with directions turquoise too. It was the 2nd blue I ever used, then I spend the following year & a half experimenting with different brands & never came across another turquoise that I liked as much. So now directions is a staple of my dye stash.

What I love about it is that it stays the same colour as it fades (if that makes sense), instead of going green like pretty much every other turquoise I've tried has.

It took about 2 months to fade back to white on me.

rivetlicker_

Post by rivetlicker_ » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:41 am

Crazy Color peacock blue is a beautiful colour, but it fades a bit murky. It is densely pigmented though, so you'll get a lovely shine out of it.
Sonic Green is also another one that is pretty good. Beautiful colour, but if you want more of a blue teal, add some blue to it.
Fishbowl is a light turquoise colour and it must be used on very pale blonde hair, otherwise it'll turn a dark green (I know from experience lol). I didn't have any luck with Directions Turquoise either, did not stick to my hair and turned a disgusting green. Maybe a bad batch? IDK!

Edit: Directions Turquoise.

space_waste

Post by space_waste » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:06 am

This was crazy colour peacock blue on me:

Fresh

Faded slightly (it was gorgeous at this stage)

Even more faded, sort of a pale seafoam green

miss chaotic

Post by miss chaotic » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:26 am

i've had no luck with either fishbowl sfx or turquoise directions and my hair has been pure white.. they just wash out so quickly i've been trying to find another colour similar to affinage's turquoise, i just couldn't get it out of my hair, but so far have had no such luck
sometimes i think there's no reason to get out of bed...then i feel wet and realise there is!!

rivetlicker_

Post by rivetlicker_ » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:15 am

miss chaotic wrote:i've had no luck with either fishbowl sfx or turquoise directions and my hair has been pure white.. they just wash out so quickly i've been trying to find another colour similar to affinage's turquoise, i just couldn't get it out of my hair, but so far have had no such luck
Affinage changed the name and reduced the amount of colours. I'm pretty sure Moody Blue (which was a bit darker before) is now the new true turquoise (whilst TT turned into a green colour, wtf?).

Be glad I shared that one with you ;) It was fun while it lasted!!!

Couture_Coiffure

Post by Couture_Coiffure » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:31 am

I've been using Manic Panic's Atomic Turquoise since November. It's beautiful when first applied, and hangs on to my little side locks well. On my fringe, not so much. The roots are a nice turquoise, but the middle starts fading into the greener side and after three weeks or so, the ends fade drastically. Of course this might also be from the bleach/dye/bleach they've received, but I am determined to maintain the color b/c I love it so much.
Angel de'Vil Designs | Website | Shop | Blog | Facebook

space_waste

Post by space_waste » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:30 am

rivetlicker_ wrote:
miss chaotic wrote:i've had no luck with either fishbowl sfx or turquoise directions and my hair has been pure white.. they just wash out so quickly i've been trying to find another colour similar to affinage's turquoise, i just couldn't get it out of my hair, but so far have had no such luck
Affinage changed the name and reduced the amount of colours. I'm pretty sure Moody Blue (which was a bit darker before) is now the new true turquoise (whilst TT turned into a green colour, wtf?).

Be glad I shared that one with you ;) It was fun while it lasted!!!
I just looked at the website, Moody Blue is still up on the list. They could very well have changed the recipe though, as there's no pictures or swatches to go by.

I used to really like this colour, I bought one of the large salon-sized bottles. It comes out way darker than directions Turquoise at first. If I remember rightly, it came out perhaps a bit darker than Peacock Blue as well. The fading process was very similar to directions Turquoise though.

That's if they haven't changed the recipe, of course. It might be worth checking out in more detail.

Miss Liberty

Post by Miss Liberty » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:38 pm

I agree with Rivet Licker in regard to the Sonic Green if you want to go more teal than turquoise. Adding a little blue will bump up the teal factor. I had tremendous luck with Sonic Green, and miss it often.

Fish Bowl was pants in my opinion. GREAT gorgeous color, but the staying power of it paled in comparison to other shades by Special Effects.

toxic trish

Post by toxic trish » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:13 am

I am the exact same I was directions first and I had white hair and it when like a blue rinse then with Special Effects fish bowl it just went a little green blue then a pale blue /blonde :( I have resorted to electric blue Rusk from sally’s. :(
warning this post may/will contain bad spelling and lots of grammatical error's

well its shocking I AM MALE

pinkkitten

Post by pinkkitten » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:06 pm

Thanks for all your help everyone! I decided to go for it yesterday and I walked into town and bought from directions (just because it was easy to get). I quite like it! Although it is a tad greener than I was hoping for, but it's a nice change :)

Pic if anyone's interested:

It's underneath my black because I thought it would look nice with victory rolls that way. I didn't have enough time yesterday to style my hair that way so just bumped it up!

brandalynn

Post by brandalynn » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:02 am

It looks great! Try throwing some lagoon over it. It will knock alot of the green off.
"Behind every great man is a woman rolling her eyes" --- bumper sticker---

pinkkitten

Post by pinkkitten » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:39 pm

brandalynn wrote:It looks great! Try throwing some lagoon over it. It will knock alot of the green off.
Aww thank you :oops: Thanks for the advice, I might try that soon!

pinkkitten

Post by pinkkitten » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:11 pm

In case anyone's interested, here's the finished result!

scandium

Post by scandium » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:31 am

I managed to give myself dark turquoise/teal using Manic Panic After Midnight Blue over black hair bleached to yellow blonde.

GolGotha

Post by GolGotha » Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:34 am

Last edited by GolGotha on Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MichelleBichos

Post by MichelleBichos » Mon May 02, 2011 4:14 am

The last turquoise I used was Manic Panic Atomic Turquoise, which I had to leave in my hair for an hour or two! Before I changed colours, I discovered that adding a touch of Shocking Blue to the Atomic Turquoise brightens it, and makes it last longer :)

XxDigitalDolliexX

Post by XxDigitalDolliexX » Sun May 29, 2011 9:05 am

He who rules the spice,Rules the world!
Let the spice flow
-Dune

Come say hi!
lil bit o'bouts me!
Buy my Stuff!

Return to “Styling and Color”