Bleach or high lift blonde?

earthymamawitch

Bleach or high lift blonde?

Post by earthymamawitch » Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:02 pm

I had a question for those who are experienced in using veggie dyes. I have medium brown (level 3) hair naturally. What level would I need to lift it to to put on SFX Deep Purple and not have it be muddy? I don't want a brown base for it, i want it to be pure purple. I'm basically wondering if I can get away with using a high lift blonde w/40 vol peroxide to prelighten instead of bleach with 20 vol. I figure I could get to a level 7 (medium blonde) with that since it lifts 5 levels. Is that light enough, and will it be orangey or gold in tone? Should I use a toner before using the SFX to tone down the brassiness? Also which of these processes would be the least damaging to the hair?

Thanks,
Jenn
Last edited by earthymamawitch on Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Let me get my hands in your hair!http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1560079231
Knotty & Nice All Natural Dread Products http://www.etsy.com/shop/KnottyandNice333

supervixxen

Re: Bleach or high lift blonde?

Post by supervixxen » Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:31 am

If you are worried about bleach damaging your hair more than the tint, don't. Remember, the developer is what causes the real damage, so using a high-lift tint with 30 or 40 volume can actually damage the hair more than bleach and 20 volume.
Bleach is going to be best because it leaves the hair porous and ready to accept the veggie dye. High-lift tint will deposit tones in addition to lifting, so it's not the best choice.

Bleach with 20 volume should get you to a orangey/yellow stage.

- supervixxen

dreamNcolor

Re: Bleach or high lift blonde?

Post by dreamNcolor » Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:15 pm

Like Supervixxen said, the high lift toners will deposit, and IMO cause more harm to hair then bleach.

If you go the bleach vol 20 route, I suggest getting a palstic cap over your hair to keep the bleach moist so it processes more evenly and further.

I know it will itch like mad sometimes, take the tips of your fingers and gently tap at the area, scratching can cause welts. If there's any sever/extreme itching, burning, irritation, it may be best to wash it as this could be an allergic reaction to that brand of bleach.
I only dream in color.

Return to “Styling and Color”