Raccoon skull fascinator

Make-up, Outfits etc.
Forum rules
Any show offs - not hair related - go here!

1) You must keep posts PG13.
2) If your pics are likely to be considered a little 'saucy' (sexy / suggestive shots are fine- so long as they are arty!) put NOT WORK SAFE/ NWS in your title.
3) When replying to a post, remember this is NOT the critique section.
4) Comments like " I love your eyes/ my god you are hot" are not helpful! Include them but please comment on the item/s being shown off too!
5) This Show Off section is only for showing off non hair related products, not making sales. Please make no references to eBay, A and P, or any kind of sales. You may offer the same item for sale in A and P, but no cross linking between A and P and Show Off. Show Off should be a place to comment and encourage each other; we don't want Show Off to become a billboard for sellers.
CherryLex

Raccoon skull fascinator

Post by CherryLex » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:53 pm

I know there's a "Stuff you've made" showoff thread but I wanted to post this separately because I am very, very proud of myself!

I had seen a similar fascinator to tho on Etsy but it was $150 :shock: , seeing as I had a raccoon skull already I decided to order the materials I needed (buckram and feathers is all I needed to buy) and give it a go myself. Since I already had most of the materials this cost me about $25 and I have enough material to make many more fascinators... I am addicted!

Here's the item on Etsy for reference - http://www.etsy.com/listing/56135005/ra ... e=handmade

And here's mine:

and then adding rosettes. I'm going to make these removable so I can change the colors. The rosettes are handmade also.
Here's the bottom to show the lining & attachment of the elastic:
and being worn, prior to the rosettes addition - excuse the no makeup.

I'm so excited about this thing, lol. But constructive criticism is definitely welcome, I'm sure some of you experienced hat makers could give me some tips!
Invader blood marches through my veins like radio active rubber pants!
THE PANTS COMMAND ME!!!
Do not ignore my veins!

PrettyDreadful

Re: Raccoon skull fascinator

Post by PrettyDreadful » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:05 pm

Thats gorgeous hun.
I love it .
Nice work :)
CherryLex wrote:I have enough material to make many more fascinators...

^^ Yes , please do :lol:

thecutealternative

Post by thecutealternative » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:07 pm

Ahh soo cool, it's different and quirky and I like it! :) Great work!

I personally prefer your's because I like the smaller rosettes, and I like the idea of being able to change them too, however I do like the net cover over the skull on the expensive *cough* overpriced* end cough one, that's a nice touch, I think it makes the skull a little more subtle!

OT - but you look so different without make up on!

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:11 pm

I already commented on facebook.....but I will on here again cos I BLOODY LOVE IT!!!! <3
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Socially awkward since 1982
Decimation Fashion
Tumblr
Formerly known as DreadstarMonstar

LittlePinkFaery

Post by LittlePinkFaery » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:13 pm

where did you find the skull????

Yours is fab, I do agree that ned over the skull would make it look less stark, but you have done really really well. As a wee hat maker myslef, I cannot understand how much people change for things! It is maddness at times!

CherryLex

Post by CherryLex » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:24 pm

@Pretty Dreadful - thanks! I have some other skulls and bones to work with, also some doll heads and other oddities so I've got plans, I just need to get some fabrics!

@cutealternative - I totally agree on the netting. I'm thinking about moving it around on there so it mimicks the other one. I've never worked with veils so it's been tricky for me!

@Sarah - Thanks :D

@LPF - A friend gave it to me, but I live in an area with lots of roadkill so I think I'm going to start scavenging more, lol. I know it's going to be weird picking up dead things off the side of the road but I'm not interested in paying $20-$40 for them. I have some other friends who are also going to give me skulls they have so hopefully I don't have to scavenge too much. I've thought about going out into the woods and searching too. We have a lot of vultures and hawks/various birds of prey so I know they hunt out here and leave bones. Gosh, that's such a weird thing for me to have just typed, lol.
I also agree on the costs, I understand needing to pay yourself appropriately for your time & all but seriously, I have never done this before and it only took me about 3 hours start-to-finish.
Invader blood marches through my veins like radio active rubber pants!
THE PANTS COMMAND ME!!!
Do not ignore my veins!

Vex88

Post by Vex88 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:44 pm

It looks great. Id seen a few on etsy too during my browsing. Personally ,it looks a bit big for something i'd wear.. but it's still a kool idea :D
Kirsty x
There's no place like 127.0.0.1.
---------------------------------------
Facebook
Etsy!
DysfunctionDesigns on Facebook
Artfire!

Librarynerd

Post by Librarynerd » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:21 am

LOVE IT!! I love bones too. I don't think it's creepy:) Last summer a raccoon up and died in my back yard and was stinking bad so I buried him. Dug him up 5 months later and he was just bones and dirt! No smell or ick at all. So I have a whole raccoon skeleton now, including the penis bone(yes, really).
Things rot fast, so if you find some roadkill bury it in nice loose moist dirt and it will be clean in no time. Or you can put roadkill in an anthill if you have any around, the ants will clean it down to bone in days.

One thing to be careful about if you are selling stuff online with animal bits is to make sure they are not from a protected species. I think all the hawks in the U.S. are protected and it is illegal to have any parts of them including feathers regardless of where you found them. There is an exemption for tribal use. Many other birds are protected too.
But raccoon, possums, squirrels, skunk, coyote......all the U.S species that are doing very well in human populated areas state Fish and Wildlife usually has no problem with collecting bones.

Edit: Just noticed you are in Florida! Lucky:) you have all the weird critters there. I would guess that Florida Fish and Wildlife does not have a problem with collecting invasive exotic species in your state, I hear they are a BIG problem there. ohhh...python skull and vertebrae would be really cool.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/jeanween23

XXXX I used to be disgusted. Now I try to be amused. XXXX

FrankenBabe

Post by FrankenBabe » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:19 am

this is fantastic! id wear it every time i went out if i had one :D lovely work!

MizB

*envy*

Post by MizB » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:22 am

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice!

Nenedhel

Post by Nenedhel » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:24 am

Thats super cuet, really well done ^^ would love to see more
Midnight Orchid - custom dreads and hairpieces, corsets, accessories and clothing
Folksy
Etsy
Custom corsets for only material costs? Its true, just message me for details/ order... only on HEF, you know you want one

Couture_Coiffure

Post by Couture_Coiffure » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:17 am

Definitely prefer your version, especially with the interchangeable rosettes. Also, I like the addition of lace, so it doesn't look like the skull is hanging off the fascinator. On a side note, I prefer the veil to be less 'out there', if you know what I mean, but that's just my taste.
Angel de'Vil Designs | Website | Shop | Blog | Facebook

WalksWithStrangers

Post by WalksWithStrangers » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:51 pm

I totally prefer yours, it looks like it sits incredibly well which is the main problem I have with fascinators, I find they always sit too stiffly or angularly, but yours sits beautifully.
I also totally prefer the placement of the feathers, and though I'd like to see the rosettes closer to the front and the veil slightly smaller, on the whole, thats pretty f*cking beautiful and you have every right to be proud :o
I'd love to wear it on my head <3
Texas Chainsaw Teletubby: Po!

[[Violet.Nightmare]]

Post by [[Violet.Nightmare]] » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:36 pm

beautiful! i love jewellery made with animal skulls
and this is very nicely made
"Once you cressp you just cant splessp"

liz

Post by liz » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:04 pm

wow, i love it!
http://www.lizsterry.com http://www.facebook.com/SterryArt
"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring." -mm

Return to “Show Off - Everything Else”