"Cat Chat" - The Crazy Cat Lady Thread!

Forum rules
The' GENERAL CHAT- silly posts' thread will be locked monthly. The old thread will remain for access for a month and then be deleted. This is to remove information from storage that is old. If you need information from the locked thread please retrieve it before it is deleted.

Please be inclusive of everyone- this is an area for all members to chat and feel part of the community.

1) No trolling or posting topics with the intention of causing upset.
2) No swearing.
3) No abusive or derogatory comments about any group of people based on their look, beliefs, morals, religion, sexual orientation, gender, race, ethnicity , profession or country will be tolerated.
4) Keep 'angst' style posts to a minimum.
5) Keep topics PG13 - we don't have to be all nice and sugary, but nothing too graphic please.
6) *If you are asking where to buy something or asking where to find an item please post in Want To Buy- not here. This may also apply if you are looking for product information that will lead to indirect promotion.

(Remember you need to abide by the 50 posts/30 day rule in Want To Buy)
ShadowThrone

Re: "Cat Chat" - The Crazy Cat Lady Thread!

Post by ShadowThrone » Wed May 25, 2011 12:50 pm

kittyno84 wrote:
ShadowThrone wrote:There's some info further back about introducing cats. He is such a cutie :D

I'm sure they'll be getting along fine soon. Let us know how it goes! A baby sibling is STILL on the cards for Quorthon even though he's two now.
Aww you must get him one! You can never have too many cats.
:lol: agreed! I think it will be amusing too, I hope anyway. No doubt they would get into mischief together!

Gorgeous kitty Kaja, her markings are beautiful :)

iamtheparty

Post by iamtheparty » Wed May 25, 2011 10:34 pm

Thanks, I'll have a look back through the thread. I keep panicking because Abby seems really wary and upset and I'm worried that we'll have to give Reuben back to the RSPCA because it's not fair to make Abby unhappy. She's such a sensitive little soul. But after spending all day upstairs looking sad, she's down here with us now having a nap. I need to keep reminding myself that it's only been a day. Just because they're not the best of friends already doesn't mean it won't be okay in the long run.

Reuben cries like crazy when you put him back in his room after having him out to play. His room has all of his stuff in it but he doesn't like to be alone in it. However, if I spend enough time in there to get him to nod off on me, I can transfer him to his bed. He wakes up but he doesn't cry when I leave.

That is one GORGEOUS tabby cat!!
Birthdays was the worst days, now we sip champagne when we thirstay.....

http://www.facebook.com/forgottennegatives

kittyno84

Post by kittyno84 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:19 pm

Lilinth

Post by Lilinth » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:53 pm

kittyno84 wrote:Image

i want to steal this kitty

on another note, the OH is having a bit of an issue with one of his cats; he lives in a studio flat and can't let them out as he lives by an M25 flyover (many a kitty at the side of the road :( ) but he does take them for walks on little leads in the woods nearby very often. but one of his cats, hiro, keeps climbing up on the counters, going in the sink, poking at the letterbox so it sounds like someone is knocking at the door and mewing (dear god the mewing) all the time. and i do mean all the time, its impossible to sleep.
hes been to the vet and is in perfect health, he gets a balanced diet, plenty of fun, attention, comfort and the other cat Iai behaves.
anyone have any idea how to stop the mewing?
/emmy x

ShadowThrone

Post by ShadowThrone » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:27 am

Is he neutered? He could be bored, I'm no expert, just going on Quorthons behaviour! He will sometimes strut around meowing really loudly, then he's ok after he's been played with a bit. Apart from the constant mewing, Q does all of those annoying cat things though, going on the kitchen worktops, the sink, rustling papers etc :lol: (he's an indoor cat too)

Those sticks with a string and a feather/toy on the end are great for wearing Quorthon out though I find.

Also, above kitty is adorable!

kittyno84

Post by kittyno84 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:55 am

Aww thanks :) She is growing so quickly, not a teeny kitten anymore but mini-cat sized. Sleeping on her back seems to be he favourite way to snooze, the weirdo seems to like be upside down. She now has an extendable lead that is meant for small dogs so she can go furthur into the garden without me having to follow her so closely behind as the lead bit on the kitten harness is only a few feet long. She knows she is going for a walk when I show her the harness as well and gets really excited and purrs loads!

When I had boy cats one of them used to strut about mewing like that, but he was neutered and just a bit (a lot) of an attention seeker and was ok once you let him know you knew he was there otherwise he just wouldn't shut up.

ShadowThrone

Post by ShadowThrone » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:59 am

kittyno84 wrote:She is growing so quickly, not a teeny kitten anymore but mini-cat sized.
I remember that stage, awww, memories.

Q is the same with attention, he 'talks' a lot too, and comes along and interupts conversations :lol:

kittyno84

Post by kittyno84 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:29 pm

Tallulah does really long meows/squarking noises. Had her for 5 weeks now I think and getting used to what she is actually asking for as my other 2 cats seem to have different meows for different things they want.

iamtheparty

Post by iamtheparty » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:49 pm

Reuben had his second round of vaccinations today. He's really lethargic now but apparently that's normal after shots. He's also very grizzly, I moved him off my lap and got 3 angry meows for it.

Him and Abby are getting on marginally better. He was too boisterous for her for a couple of weeks and she would just run away. But she's started giving him a clout when he over-steps the line (such as attacking her giant fluffy tail!). Which I think is good in as much as she's disciplining him (like a momma cat would) but I've also seen her hit him for very very little. Today he was sat watching her from about a foot away. He moved one foot closer and she swiped at his head. So now I'm actually more wary of leaving them alone together.

kittyno84

Post by kittyno84 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:23 pm

Rosie and Molly do that to Tallulah but never really actually hit her, I think they do it as more of a warning about her getting over excited and wanting to play with them. Have caught Rosie properly playing with her though, but then she seems to have a mardy when Tallulah wants to play again as she now thinks Rosie will always play with her and gives her little kisses on the nose.

Librarynerd

Post by Librarynerd » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:41 pm

iamtheparty wrote:Reuben had his second round of vaccinations today. He's really lethargic now but apparently that's normal after shots. He's also very grizzly, I moved him off my lap and got 3 angry meows for it.

Him and Abby are getting on marginally better. He was too boisterous for her for a couple of weeks and she would just run away. But she's started giving him a clout when he over-steps the line (such as attacking her giant fluffy tail!). Which I think is good in as much as she's disciplining him (like a momma cat would) but I've also seen her hit him for very very little. Today he was sat watching her from about a foot away. He moved one foot closer and she swiped at his head. So now I'm actually more wary of leaving them alone together.
I've have 3 unrelated adult kitties that have been living together for at least 6yrs. They still just tolerate each other:) But they are very happy cats, they just don't want to cuddle with other cats. They cuddle with people all the time and don't seem stressed out. They each have developed separate territories in the house and seem happy with that. Cats are solitary animals by nature so I don't think it is essential for their well being to be cuddly with each other. Unless they are trying to kill each other i wouldn't worry about it. It may take a long time for them to sort out their territories and place in the pecking order. Having separate litter box's and food bowls is a good idea to reduce territory stress.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/jeanween23

XXXX I used to be disgusted. Now I try to be amused. XXXX

iamtheparty

Post by iamtheparty » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:18 am

So, we have to make the decision of whether to give Reuben a collar. He'll be micro-chipped when he gets neutered. The cats we had growing up didn't have collars because my Dad was worried they'd get caught on something and the cat would struggle and strangle itself. But if they get lost, it seems the quickest way of getting them home.

Discuss!

kittyno84

Post by kittyno84 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:24 am

Tallulah has a collar with our phonenumber on and it says she is also microchipped. Part of the 'deal' of taking her home was that she must wear a collar even though she won't be going outside for another 3 months yet. They are also good as you can hear where she is if she is hiding waiting to jump on you. she didn't really like it when she first had to wear one but is fine with it now and hasn't gotten stuck on anything.

hellsbells

Post by hellsbells » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:06 pm

I used to have collars for my cats but they kept removing them and it got super expensive; they'd go through at least a collar or three a week between them. I tried different makes of safety collar - all of them (and the freaking engraved tags) went missing within 2 weeks.

Here's my little Mollie Cat. She's very pretty and I love her massively. She has a tail like a raccoon and such a lovely character.

Smiley cat:

Doing her interpretation of a slow loris:

I don't know what you mean Mum, I didn't make this mess...

Her favourite sleeping place:

:mrgreen:

ShadowThrone

Post by ShadowThrone » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:17 pm

Awww, she is beautiful!

Bomber

Post by Bomber » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:15 pm

My two have safety collars, when Minnie is being a big pain she can get it off but they've never come off by accident. They are also both microchipped as well but if they have collars with our address and number on, local people are more likely to check that first rather than go to a vet straight away.

My pair are not happy with the neighbour's cat at all. He came right up to the front door as I came home from work today and I've never heard my Mins make so much noise!

rebel82

Post by rebel82 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:09 am

iamtheparty wrote:Has anyone here integrated a kitten into a home with an adult cat?

Abby is 2 years old and quite timid. She used to live with 2 other cats (her siblings) but they ganged up on her a bit because she was the smallest. Reuben is a 10 week old kitten and he's very confident and energetic, but also very sweet and affectionate. He came from a foster home that had 12 cats so he's very happy to be around other cats. He also seems totally unfazed by the change in surroundings and has just been clambering all over me and purring.

We have him shut in one room at the moment with his bed, food, litter tray and toys but he mews at the door a lot so I find myself going in and getting him out for a fuss. Abby hasn't really come downstairs since he got here 5 hours ago. She's not scared, she's sitting rather nonchalantly washing herself right now. But she won't come downstairs and that's where her food and litter tray are! The kitten isn't allowed in the room she uses for that stuff, I'm trying to keep it as her territory for the time being.

Does anyone have any advice? Should I move Abby's tray and food up here for now or should I leave them down there to encourage her to go down?

EDIT: It would be rude of me to post here without posting kitten pics!

i posted back in january when i got my kitten,my older 6 year cat just wouldnt take to him,so 6 months and 5 feliway diffusers later she still hates him!i suppose all cats are different my older one is really spoiled rotten so she was the queen of the house lol but hes staying anyway.heres my beast gizmo now :Image he was neutered last week :( on the plus side amber has been using her katkabin shes not bothered with before,just to get some peace and quiet!!

WyckedKitty

Post by WyckedKitty » Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:08 pm

All you ladies have beautiful & such precious cats...I miss mine so much. Sadly I no longer have either of them due to loosing the house I was in with them. but here are a few pics of them.

Shadow: I named him this because when he was only 6 weeks old he would follow me around like he was my shadow lol

Rayven: Shadows daughter he had with my family friends female cat when they were living with us.

her when she was just under a week old:

her when she was 3 weeks old I believe:
haha she was asleep under the blanket & her momma was asleep on my table & her brothers & sisters were asleep off to the side of her.
God invented man,then he had a better idea

iamtheparty

Post by iamtheparty » Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:06 pm

Reuben has started doing something really strange. When he's settling in for a nap and he's doing that 'kneading' thing, he's started grabbing hold of his tale and sucking on the end of it. It's so weird to see (and hear!) so I Googled it and it apparently can be something that kittens do if they were weaned too early. He came to us at 10 weeks from the RSPCA so who knows when he left his mum. It makes me a little sad but he purrs like mad when he's doing it so he must be enjoying it.

WyckedKitty

Post by WyckedKitty » Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:58 am

iamtheparty wrote:Reuben has started doing something really strange. When he's settling in for a nap and he's doing that 'kneading' thing, he's started grabbing hold of his tale and sucking on the end of it. It's so weird to see (and hear!) so I Googled it and it apparently can be something that kittens do if they were weaned too early. He came to us at 10 weeks from the RSPCA so who knows when he left his mum. It makes me a little sad but he purrs like mad when he's doing it so he must be enjoying it.
It's possible. That's actually what it sounds like. he'll probably grow out of it as he gets older.
God invented man,then he had a better idea

rebel82

Post by rebel82 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:36 am

iamtheparty wrote:Reuben has started doing something really strange. When he's settling in for a nap and he's doing that 'kneading' thing, he's started grabbing hold of his tale and sucking on the end of it. It's so weird to see (and hear!) so I Googled it and it apparently can be something that kittens do if they were weaned too early. He came to us at 10 weeks from the RSPCA so who knows when he left his mum. It makes me a little sad but he purrs like mad when he's doing it so he must be enjoying it.
when we first got her amber used to suck on one of those terry towel hair scrunchies,cos she was taken away from her mum too early.they grow out of it.

rebel82

Post by rebel82 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:40 am

has anyone got any tips on how to let your cat out for the first time?i wanted to wait till gizmo was neutered before i let him out,now im worried he might stray too far....someone suggested putting butter on his paws?anyone got any better ideas?

Prosthetics

Post by Prosthetics » Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:15 pm

You should definitely get him neutered first, if there are any female cats in your area that are not spayed, he will definitely find them!!
+~!!!Miss Marionette!!!~+

Fear is a nameless evil

rebel82

Post by rebel82 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:43 pm

Prosthetics wrote:You should definitely get him neutered first, if there are any female cats in your area that are not spayed, he will definitely find them!!
yeah my wee guys been done lol,i tried the butter thing today,it seemed to work.

kittyno84

Post by kittyno84 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:56 pm

I don't see how the butter thing works, I have never had any problems with my cats going out and not coming back as I hadn't dipped them in butter :S

Return to “Noise - General Chatter”