The "What are you currently reading?" thread

Forum rules
The' GENERAL CHAT- silly posts' thread will be locked monthly. The old thread will remain for access for a month and then be deleted. This is to remove information from storage that is old. If you need information from the locked thread please retrieve it before it is deleted.

Please be inclusive of everyone- this is an area for all members to chat and feel part of the community.

1) No trolling or posting topics with the intention of causing upset.
2) No swearing.
3) No abusive or derogatory comments about any group of people based on their look, beliefs, morals, religion, sexual orientation, gender, race, ethnicity , profession or country will be tolerated.
4) Keep 'angst' style posts to a minimum.
5) Keep topics PG13 - we don't have to be all nice and sugary, but nothing too graphic please.
6) *If you are asking where to buy something or asking where to find an item please post in Want To Buy- not here. This may also apply if you are looking for product information that will lead to indirect promotion.

(Remember you need to abide by the 50 posts/30 day rule in Want To Buy)
Nenedhel

Re: The "What are you currently reading?" thread

Post by Nenedhel » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:05 pm

Just finished reading Mortal Engines and looking for the second one but I have just started reading Skybreaker
Midnight Orchid - custom dreads and hairpieces, corsets, accessories and clothing
Folksy
Etsy
Custom corsets for only material costs? Its true, just message me for details/ order... only on HEF, you know you want one

Paradisaea Decora

Post by Paradisaea Decora » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:20 pm

Being a total history dork, I'm currently reading 'The Worst Street in London' by Fiona Rule. It's awesome :D Course, I might not be saying that if I were one of the poor bastards I'm actually reading about... they had it baaaaad back then!
Sacré Coeur Jewellery & Adornments
http://www.sacre-coeur.co.uk

VixenSingsBlack

Post by VixenSingsBlack » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:24 pm

My own thesis and stories submitted for our on campus literary journal. Next week, Bright Lights Big City, supposedly the best second person point of view novel ever.

Gemstone

Post by Gemstone » Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:34 pm

One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest (again)..... I really wanted to read The Catcher in the Rye, but my copy's gone for a wander... not sure if I should fork out 8.99 for a new copy or hold out until I can get to the cheepie second hand book shop and try and find it there
I may have the body of a weak and feeble woman, but I have the heart and stomach of a concrete elephant

Futzzz

Post by Futzzz » Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:28 pm

Just finished the first book in the 'books of ember' triology, nothing to extraordinary, but a fun take on a post apocalyptic type world in a way i haven't seen before!
I haven't seen the movie, but think im going to now!

WalksWithStrangers

Post by WalksWithStrangers » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:07 pm

I'm getting all sad that I just finished Ghost Hunter by Michelle Paver, which is the last in a series that I LOVE. (Chronicles of Ancient Darkness...) which is seriously embarrassing seeing as they're total kiddies books that I borrowed of my little cousin who's 12 :lol:

I also just finished reading Glamourama by Bret Easton Ellis, I wasn't particularly blown away by it, I struggled to find any form of deeper meaning - satirical or not. But, with American Psycho being one of my favourite books I can't help but compare them or be slightly biased.
A friend of mine has just lent me 'We Need to Talk About Kevin', I haven't picked it up yet, and it really isn't my sort of book but I'm quite looking forward to reading it.

I desperately need some new books though, I've got £25 worth of Amazon vouchers which I thoroughly intend to spend entirely on books but I just dont know what on yet.
Texas Chainsaw Teletubby: Po!

Nixxiie

Post by Nixxiie » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:47 pm

At the moment I'm ploughing through the Sookie Stackhouse novels. They are BRILLIANT.

x

tazzyface

Post by tazzyface » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:44 am

Ooh, I just got my paws on a copy of Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? It has been a while :D
More human than human

pixychick

Post by pixychick » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:51 am

Nixxiie wrote:At the moment I'm ploughing through the Sookie Stackhouse novels. They are BRILLIANT.
x
I love the Sookie Stackhouse series I have read all the books at least 4 times already. I've been reading them for years now. I was waiting years for the tv show to come out. I'm a huge Charlaine Harris fan, my husband and I drove several hours to meet her at a book signing. It was really cool.

Book I am currently reading/listening to is "The Red Wolf Conspiracy" by Robert V.S. Redick
It's really good.

Aemelia

Post by Aemelia » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:16 pm

The Golden Ass by Apuleius for my literature class. Haven't gotten that far yet, but it's not too bad.

Futzzz

Post by Futzzz » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:47 pm

i too love the sookie stackhouse novels and would to read something else by charlaine harris!
Any of you girls read any of here crime/mysteries and can reccommend one of the series?

ShadowThrone

Post by ShadowThrone » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:54 pm

Nixxiie wrote:At the moment I'm ploughing through the Sookie Stackhouse novels. They are BRILLIANT.

x
I'm doing this too. Almost finished the third, then I will have to buy more!

Also, just finished Exquisite Corpse again which I took on a trip as my travelling book :D

pixychick

Post by pixychick » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:06 pm

Futzzz wrote:i too love the sookie stackhouse novels and would to read something else by charlaine harris!
Any of you girls read any of here crime/mysteries and can reccommend one of the series?
Her crime/mystery novels are amazing as well!!

VixenSingsBlack

Post by VixenSingsBlack » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:45 pm

x
I watch True Blood on HBO, but I heard the books were a little blah. Maybe I'll have to give them a shot since you're recommending them!
tazzyface wrote:
VixenSingsBlack wrote:Next week, Bright Lights Big City, supposedly the best second person point of view novel ever.
I REALLY want to read this, but every time I check, the library is always out!
I'll let you know how it is!

pixychick

Post by pixychick » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:57 pm

VixenSingsBlack wrote: I watch True Blood on HBO, but I heard the books were a little blah. Maybe I'll have to give them a shot since you're recommending them!
Whaaaaa? Honestly these books are so awesome, I will purchase the first book for you just to get you hooked!! LOL

Nixxiie

Post by Nixxiie » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:40 pm

VixenSingsBlack wrote:
I watch True Blood on HBO, but I heard the books were a little blah. Maybe I'll have to give them a shot since you're recommending them!

I personally prefer the books to the series at the moment!

The books (as always) seem to have more depth to the characters and the storyline is better than the series IMO.

My boss and friend bought me all the Sookie books from the book people for a tenner. I was so over the moooooooooooooooooooon. It's terrible, I got them on Tuesday and i'm on number 9 (after reading them all a first time) I should really slow down lol!

x

twinkletoes

Post by twinkletoes » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:25 am

I'm currently reading The Picture of Dorian Grey. I love oscar Wilde.

lizzymagvire

Post by lizzymagvire » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:58 am

I am currently reading study material as my exams are at the corner. And as 80% people It's end time study so I am getting crazy reading all these books.
fit flops

<<Miss_Sami>>

Post by <<Miss_Sami>> » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:06 pm

I'm currently reading The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss and enjoying it muchly :)
Sam-I-Am || Flickr || Tumblr

Vex88

Post by Vex88 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:49 pm

Just finished reading .. My S**t Life So Far by Frankie Boyle.. was hilarious at the start then kinda dwindle out a bit. I usually don't finish books though.
Kirsty x
There's no place like 127.0.0.1.
---------------------------------------
Facebook
Etsy!
DysfunctionDesigns on Facebook
Artfire!

Ice_Pick_Abortions

Post by Ice_Pick_Abortions » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:07 pm

The World According to Garp. I'm on a real John Irving kick right now..
"I have had many troubles, most of which never happened." - Mark Twain
"Let us not love with words or tongue, but with actions and in truth."

In the ranks of the Indecisive Army..

Futzzz

Post by Futzzz » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:02 pm

just read The Game by Niel Strauss - so funny! and interesting from a human behavior point of view:)

im reading Free by Chris Anderson now, interesting take on the free economy and the history there of even though i dont agree with him on all his points!

FaerieGirl

Post by FaerieGirl » Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:47 pm

I'm currently working through the Merideth Gentry series by Laurall K Hamilton.
Taking over the world, one cupcake at a time. http://www.facebook.com/pages/CausticCu ... 7885476928
CURRENTLY TAKING ORDERS

WalksWithStrangers

Post by WalksWithStrangers » Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:48 pm

<<Miss_Sami>> wrote:I'm currently reading The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss and enjoying it muchly :)
I LOVE that book!
I'm currently reading Cabal by Clive Barker for the 4th hundredth thousandth time... :D
Texas Chainsaw Teletubby: Po!

LifeDeathRebirth

Post by LifeDeathRebirth » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:24 pm

I'm currently reading Blue Moon by Alyson Noel (book 2 in the Immortals series) and Ultimate Reiki Touch: Initiation and Self Exploration as Tools for Healing by Paula Horan.
VixenSingsBlack wrote:I watch True Blood on HBO, but I heard the books were a little blah. Maybe I'll have to give them a shot since you're recommending them!
What?! The books are WAY better than the show, but I read them before I ever saw the series. As with most books that are turned into movies or shows, they change a lot of things. I liked the second season of True Blood better than the first, but the books are definitely better.

The next book comes out next month!
born in the dust and cradled in the dark

Return to “Noise - General Chatter”