Would you like a banned members list?

Forum rules
The' GENERAL CHAT- silly posts' thread will be locked monthly. The old thread will remain for access for a month and then be deleted. This is to remove information from storage that is old. If you need information from the locked thread please retrieve it before it is deleted.

Please be inclusive of everyone- this is an area for all members to chat and feel part of the community.

1) No trolling or posting topics with the intention of causing upset.
2) No swearing.
3) No abusive or derogatory comments about any group of people based on their look, beliefs, morals, religion, sexual orientation, gender, race, ethnicity , profession or country will be tolerated.
4) Keep 'angst' style posts to a minimum.
5) Keep topics PG13 - we don't have to be all nice and sugary, but nothing too graphic please.
6) *If you are asking where to buy something or asking where to find an item please post in Want To Buy- not here. This may also apply if you are looking for product information that will lead to indirect promotion.

(Remember you need to abide by the 50 posts/30 day rule in Want To Buy)

Should permanently banned members be named publically?

Poll ended at Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:01 pm

yes
114
97%
no
4
3%
 
Total votes: 118

User avatar
Lilinth
Posts: 1941
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:29 pm
Location: London, UK

Re: Would you like a banned members list?

Post by Lilinth » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:08 pm

Vicsarina wrote:
DreadstarMonstar wrote:i was going to, but couldn't see it. i PM'd some mods to let them know

Just for the record, the report button is the little red exclamation mark to the right of the post :)


I make good use of it when we have spam bots \o/ Its a happy little punctuation mark XD
i feel quite silly for never using it before, or even noticing it was there
will have to hunt for spam bots to test it out....
/emmy x

guest123
Posts: 510
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:12 pm

Re: Would you like a banned members list?

Post by guest123 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:13 pm

*deleted*
Last edited by guest123 on Sat May 09, 2015 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Vicsarina
Posts: 1414
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:11 am

Re: Would you like a banned members list?

Post by Vicsarina » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:15 pm

stinamoo wrote:
Vicsarina wrote:
DreadstarMonstar wrote:i was going to, but couldn't see it. i PM'd some mods to let them know

Just for the record, the report button is the little red exclamation mark to the right of the post :)


I make good use of it when we have spam bots \o/ Its a happy little punctuation mark XD
It's a plain grey exclamation mark in an upside down triangle at the top right of each post for me :)

Oh!! Gosh I forgot I don't have the default layout. For reference, I have the blue one, and I'm guessing Stina has the grey one.


There we go! XD Now we know where it is no matter where the little bugger decides to hide!
*Rule Obsessor*

User avatar
VibrantDoll
Posts: 58
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:46 am

Re: Would you like a banned members list?

Post by VibrantDoll » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:43 pm

trippytroll wrote:
VibrantDoll wrote:I'm just going to pipe up and say that that makes me very nervous. I've been on the boards for almost two years (including HH) and it scares me to think that someone could decide that they don't want me on the boards anymore because I said I didn't like their dreads.

I'm sorry to say it but without a clearly defined rule about rude comments, it will become nothing more than a popularity contest. And that's when a lot of people will just say, "Yeah......I'm done." What I think is rude and what Halo thinks is rude and what MissAnthropik thinks is rude and what TenderTendrils thinks is rude and whomever else, is all different stuff. Rude is subjective, I'm sorry but it is.

Hopefully I'll never be on the radar enough to be considered for a ban, but if people are being banned for slight infractions as trippytroll implied, I'll definitely not be a bigger part of the community as it would be very rough on the mods to keep it from becoming a popularity contest.....I always lose popularity contests. ~_^

youve totally got that wrong hon
you wouldnt get banned from just giving someone an opinion and besides warnings etc are issued first, youve totally misread what im saying, i havent once said people should be banned for saying one thing like i dont like your dreads, it doesnt work like that hon,
yes we do all have opinions as to what counts as rude and wot not but some people are extremely aggresive on here on numerous occasions and i feel we should be at least warned about these people, and yes a ban if they carry up upsetting people, alot of peeps dont reposrt things to moderators as they just prefer to leave out the playground stuff and ignore them or report the thread or block the user but some people on here have been really upset by comments made to them, which i feel is totally uncalled for.
and theres the block thingy button too
but peeps wont be banned for just saying horrid things,
and it would be like constant people who kept doing it not just anyone who wrote aa one post thing
im on mod on a few other sites and we wouldnt ban anyone for just being rude but if they were constantly aggresive and upsetting people then it would definitly be looked into but things like that arent always easy for a mod to judge anyway
take care
x
I totally misunderstood you trippytroll. I'm really sorry about that. I'd like to blame it on having just woken up from a nap, but truly I think it was just me not seeing it. I've been banned from so many sites just based on popularity BS that my gut reaction was "AAAAAAAAHH NOT ANOTHER ONE FFS!!!!!!" Like I said, I always lose at popularity contests lol.

I'm really sorry to have misinterpreted what you meant to get across. :)

User avatar
MissAnthropik
Posts: 2676
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:54 am
Location: Nottingham, UK

Re: Would you like a banned members list?

Post by MissAnthropik » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:51 pm

Just to clear up confusion, if you think someone has crossed the line please tell us. If it is a one-off as regards you it is still worth telling us because it might start to make up a bigger picture about that person. If it is an ongoing occurrence with you then of course we want to know.

If it happens publicly and you think we haven't noticed you can either report the post, or PM us. If it is a PM please forward the PM and your comments to one of us. Even if they have taken the issue off the board and are harassing you about somethng board related through msn or something we still want to know.

We, as moderators, usually deal with things collectively to try to overcome as best as possible the subjectivity you are all talking about. However some things are clear as day and one person may take action immediately. It really does depend on what it is you are telling us.

The course of action we will take in the case of rudeness is usually to simply PM the person if it is an usual thing for them to do, and we have no previous evidence of them doing anything like it, so need to panic that we are going to start banning people for slips of the tongue and things.

If it makes up part of a picture of ongoing unacceptable behaviour we would do one of 3 things depending on the severity/number of times it has happened/how long it's been going on for etc:
1) PM them again
2) warn them
3) give them a temporary ban

We would only go for option (3) if they had already had options (1) and (2) and it had had no effect or, it would be clear to anyone that their behaviour was highly abusive and there was no potential ambiguity.

We want you to know we take your happiness seriously but we also want you to know that we don't go about banning people on a whim. We use information you give us to build up a bigger picture, and as such there may be many people we are aware of and monitoring that would not show up on a warning list.
telling it like it is!

User avatar
Pallidity
Posts: 1376
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:31 am
Location: Kansas, USA
Contact:

Re: Would you like a banned members list?

Post by Pallidity » Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:41 am

MissAnthropik wrote:Just to clear up confusion, if you think someone has crossed the line please tell us. If it is a one-off as regards you it is still worth telling us because it might start to make up a bigger picture about that person. If it is an ongoing occurrence with you then of course we want to know.

If it happens publicly and you think we haven't noticed you can either report the post, or PM us. If it is a PM please forward the PM and your comments to one of us. Even if they have taken the issue off the board and are harassing you about somethng board related through msn or something we still want to know.

We, as moderators, usually deal with things collectively to try to overcome as best as possible the subjectivity you are all talking about. However some things are clear as day and one person may take action immediately. It really does depend on what it is you are telling us.

The course of action we will take in the case of rudeness is usually to simply PM the person if it is an usual thing for them to do, and we have no previous evidence of them doing anything like it, so need to panic that we are going to start banning people for slips of the tongue and things.

If it makes up part of a picture of ongoing unacceptable behaviour we would do one of 3 things depending on the severity/number of times it has happened/how long it's been going on for etc:
1) PM them again
2) warn them
3) give them a temporary ban

We would only go for option (3) if they had already had options (1) and (2) and it had had no effect or, it would be clear to anyone that their behaviour was highly abusive and there was no potential ambiguity.

We want you to know we take your happiness seriously but we also want you to know that we don't go about banning people on a whim. We use information you give us to build up a bigger picture, and as such there may be many people we are aware of and monitoring that would not show up on a warning list.
:D

User avatar
MrsEss
Posts: 11195
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:06 am
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Would you like a banned members list?

Post by MrsEss » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:10 am

Would there ever be a need for a permanent ban? however the people that get banned probably don't even try to come back onto the forum, i suppose.

This may have already been mention, but i have placenta brain...how long is the temporary ban??
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Socially awkward since 1982
Decimation Fashion
Tumblr
Formerly known as DreadstarMonstar

User avatar
Lilinth
Posts: 1941
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:29 pm
Location: London, UK

Re: Would you like a banned members list?

Post by Lilinth » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:12 am

a few people have tried signing up under a few different names, i think a few are mentioned with the non performing sellers
/emmy x

User avatar
IKickShins
Posts: 4075
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:36 am
Location: Bay Area, California
Contact:

Re: Would you like a banned members list?

Post by IKickShins » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:13 am

The length of a temporary ban varies depending on the situation. Usually they're no more than a week or two.
I Kick Shins - Now stocking olive green, pistachio, & neon purple kk jumbo braid!
IKS @ Etsy - Clip-in streaks & top hats galore!
Facebook - You know the drill ;)

User avatar
halocaustic
Posts: 1081
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:16 am
Location: Troon, Scotland
Contact:

Re: Would you like a banned members list?

Post by halocaustic » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:09 pm

DreadstarMonstar wrote:Would there ever be a need for a permanent ban? however the people that get banned probably don't even try to come back onto the forum, i suppose.

This may have already been mention, but i have placenta brain...how long is the temporary ban??
Every permanent ban for unacceptable behaviour here has tried multiple usernames!
http://www.halo-wear.co.uk
Hair extensions & customised t-shirts

User avatar
MrsEss
Posts: 11195
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:06 am
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Would you like a banned members list?

Post by MrsEss » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:13 pm

ah, cheers Halo. Interesting to know.
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Socially awkward since 1982
Decimation Fashion
Tumblr
Formerly known as DreadstarMonstar

User avatar
halocaustic
Posts: 1081
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:16 am
Location: Troon, Scotland
Contact:

Re: Would you like a banned members list?

Post by halocaustic » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:19 pm

DreadstarMonstar wrote:ah, cheers Halo. Interesting to know.
You'd *think* they'd take the hint though, right?
Apparently not!
http://www.halo-wear.co.uk
Hair extensions & customised t-shirts

User avatar
Lilinth
Posts: 1941
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:29 pm
Location: London, UK

Re: Would you like a banned members list?

Post by Lilinth » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:34 pm

lends weight to the argument that aliases should be given though
/emmy x

User avatar
VixenSingsBlack
Posts: 3148
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:13 pm
Location: NOLA
Contact:

Re: Would you like a banned members list?

Post by VixenSingsBlack » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:37 pm

We've got suspected aliases listed for banned members. Everyone needs to be vigilant, and posting a public ban list will help with that.

User avatar
Squidgy
Posts: 2355
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:15 pm
Location: Bucks, UK
Contact:

Re: Would you like a banned members list?

Post by Squidgy » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:30 pm

I definately agree that this is a good idea, not just for non performers and scammers but also for abusive members as well!!
"I don't follow no religion, bow to the DJ, worship the riddum!!" ♬ ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫ ♬

User avatar
LittlePinkFaery
Posts: 2488
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:57 am
Location: Derby,UK

Re: Would you like a banned members list?

Post by LittlePinkFaery » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:05 pm

you may have noticed that this is all up and running now...not locking the thread as you may want to make a comment on this issue.

User avatar
MrsEss
Posts: 11195
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:06 am
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Would you like a banned members list?

Post by MrsEss » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:14 am

mm, yes...noticed. interesting to read.

does the banned persons posts get deleted when they are deleted?
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Socially awkward since 1982
Decimation Fashion
Tumblr
Formerly known as DreadstarMonstar

User avatar
LittlePinkFaery
Posts: 2488
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:57 am
Location: Derby,UK

Re: Would you like a banned members list?

Post by LittlePinkFaery » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:39 am

no- becasue often they have made useful and 'normal' posts- to delete them would mean somethreads do not make sense! We will delete any contraverial comments and indeed any comments that have been reported. By contraversial I mean rudeto others and generally not acceptable commnets, not views on Anarcy/ debate.

sammu
Posts: 1531
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:39 am

Re: Would you like a banned members list?

Post by sammu » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:19 pm

My comment got deleted, even though for once I wasn't trying to be snarky. Heh... :lol: Ah well I live, I learn.

User avatar
Sybafairy
Posts: 916
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:16 pm
Location: Leicester UK

Re: Would you like a banned members list?

Post by Sybafairy » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:26 pm

Where is the banned member list?
Or am i being stupidly blind :/

Ignore that - search is my friend :roll:
Last edited by Sybafairy on Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blue Army ----- Cavalry Commander and General Nommer of biscuits

User avatar
MrsEss
Posts: 11195
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:06 am
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Would you like a banned members list?

Post by MrsEss » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:30 pm

*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Socially awkward since 1982
Decimation Fashion
Tumblr
Formerly known as DreadstarMonstar

User avatar
Sybafairy
Posts: 916
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:16 pm
Location: Leicester UK

Re: Would you like a banned members list?

Post by Sybafairy » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:30 pm

DreadstarMonstar wrote:viewtopic.php?f=107&t=7547

:)
Ha thanks ;)
Blue Army ----- Cavalry Commander and General Nommer of biscuits

User avatar
LittlePinkFaery
Posts: 2488
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:57 am
Location: Derby,UK

Re: Would you like a banned members list?

Post by LittlePinkFaery » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:34 pm

CirqueMachine wrote:My comment got deleted, even though for once I wasn't trying to be snarky. Heh... :lol: Ah well I live, I learn.
mnont the place to discuss this really...comments are deleted if their content is deemed to be inappropriate, whatever the reason.

The question was did we delete BANNED members posts if they were banned and the answert was no, we don't, unless they are infalatory or inappropriate.

it is located in forum rules, in a sub forum
viewforum.php?f=107

Post Reply

Return to “Noise - General Chatter”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 6 guests