Style Admiration and inspiration Thread

Forum rules
The' GENERAL CHAT- silly posts' thread will be locked monthly. The old thread will remain for access for a month and then be deleted. This is to remove information from storage that is old. If you need information from the locked thread please retrieve it before it is deleted.

Please be inclusive of everyone- this is an area for all members to chat and feel part of the community.

1) No trolling or posting topics with the intention of causing upset.
2) No swearing.
3) No abusive or derogatory comments about any group of people based on their look, beliefs, morals, religion, sexual orientation, gender, race, ethnicity , profession or country will be tolerated.
4) Keep 'angst' style posts to a minimum.
5) Keep topics PG13 - we don't have to be all nice and sugary, but nothing too graphic please.
6) *If you are asking where to buy something or asking where to find an item please post in Want To Buy- not here. This may also apply if you are looking for product information that will lead to indirect promotion.

(Remember you need to abide by the 50 posts/30 day rule in Want To Buy)
Sophrodisiac

Re: Style Admiration and inspiration Thread

Post by Sophrodisiac » Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:26 pm

I was a dirty goth =P And a bit of an emo before that ¬¬

I've had looads of phazes.
I like bubbles.. :)
Dread it and Rave
SOPHI BUBBLE =)

Bomber

Post by Bomber » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:23 pm

I looked like I'd been dragged through a hedge backwards by my hair at 15. I sort of attempted glam and failed a bit miserably because I didn't know where to get that kind of clothing (oh, the days before I had an ebay account!) and I didn't know how to tease my hair properly.

I like to think I do it better now, but still nowhere near as good as that girl, and some of the other glam girls on hel-looks.

Lilinth

Post by Lilinth » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:30 pm

at 15 i looked older than i do now, was a bit over gothy though...the mistake of overdoing something (straight black eyeliner) for example that should be simple
i wish at 15 i'd had the courage to shave my head like i do now but i went to a bitchy school with bitchy friends, life is good now so i do as i please with my look
/emmy x

Twiggy

Post by Twiggy » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:11 am

at 15..I wore baggy jeans or like big overalls with one side clipped up...I basically looked like the 90's threw up on me most of the time minus the insane colors aha! then from that into years of grungy goth... :lol: didn't shower much, didn't care what i threw on the only thing i noticed was my make up which i spent hours on but looked like shyt ne ways...had some crazy stuff on my face basically going for the shock factor in the huge high school i went to for a short time before i slipped into the heavy drug usage stage where i got more grungy aha then yep...got into art school :lol: *my high school phases in a nut shell*
<<Giggles, Lollipops && Firearms>>

Cyan1deCandy Dreads

neonpixie

Post by neonpixie » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:32 am

When I was 13 the thing that mattered most to me about my clothes was if they could stand up to a day climbing trees in the woods or horseriding! as far as I can remember I only started worrying about how my clothes looked when I was 15/16 :p

Thats a cool site tho, I love some ofthe coments people make about their style or what they like.

I like these two -
"Jenni (19) and Aaron (19)-
We always dress like this. We don't want to shock – we just want to broaden the minds of Finnish people."
Oscail mo shúile, Nìos mò, Èist è sin, Ar an tsáile snámha, Fol lol the doh fol the day...

ScarletLady

Post by ScarletLady » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:26 am

at 13/14 I was a little metal kid - it was over 10 years ago and you just couldn't really buy alternative clothes in the many shops - not like today. I had to go to london...I used to buy kids cartoon character t-shirts and customise lots of stuff...I had pink hair and ridiculous makeup - blue glitter and stuff...along with my marilyn manson t-shirts and ripped tights - Plus I had an army bag as my school bag with all my fave bands written on it in marker pen (does anyone remember those)
I remember buying a 5 yr olds barbie nightie and ripping it up and putting it back together with safety pins...plus I had loads of kandi bracelets etc.

god I thought I looked so cool :lol:
scarlet's taking over the asylum aka ladypanel

* Queen of Tangents*

Sophrodisiac

Post by Sophrodisiac » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:21 am

well if we're going into detail here =P
When i was really young i wanted to be like all the 90s girl bands i.e spice girls =P, i became a bit of a goth in year eight, got an emo fringe in year nine x_x, cut if off and became a serious tomboy and kind of went back to goth after that, Then went a bit random with colourful stripy socks and pink and blue hair =], turned into a bit of a hippy last year and i still like to incorporate some of the hippyness with bright bright neon cybery style with my own personal flare.

You probably didn't need to know all that, it was interesting looking back and thinking about it though.
Dread it and Rave
SOPHI BUBBLE =)

Lilinth

Post by Lilinth » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:48 am

ScarletLady wrote: Plus I had an army bag as my school bag with all my fave bands written on it in marker pen (does anyone remember those)
my work bag still has bands scrawled on it, just so i can remember which tickets to look for when i go by the box office :lol:

i like the tights in the last picture, i've done something similar with a spider patterned pair that died....recycling clothes...
/emmy x

Sophrodisiac

Post by Sophrodisiac » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:54 am

most of my tights look like that.. not intentionally, infact it's rather annoying. They always ladder, then again i do wear them camping. =P
Dread it and Rave
SOPHI BUBBLE =)

ScarletLady

Post by ScarletLady » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:05 am

I had a pair of black tights that i ripped to pieces and used to wear aver other colours - they looked like spiderwebs
scarlet's taking over the asylum aka ladypanel

* Queen of Tangents*

Dystopatica

Post by Dystopatica » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:39 am

My god, I am glad there are no pictures of me when I was 14/15. At the time I was going to a lot of illegal raves and listening to an utterly random assortment of PWEI, Therapy, The Levellers and hard techno. I distinctly remember rocking a Tank Girl hair cut for about a year which included a chin length fringe and half an inch crop over the rest of my head, which I bleached and dyed every colour imaginable. In fact, I pretty much dressed exactly like Tank Girl, aside from when I was clubbing and then we broke out the neon. I cringe now when I think about it.

I evolved from that into listening to a lot of drum and bass and breaks, and spent a good few years in baggy jeans/combats and little vest tops when I was 17 to about 19. Think early All Saints.Weirdly I haven't even owned a pair of jeans or trainers in the last 10 years, probably due to living in skate gear for so long.

Ahh, the folly of youth eh?
Monochrome Militia
Dystopatica.com

trippytroll

Post by trippytroll » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:57 pm

ive basically dressed the same for the past 20 plus years, i dont really have any icons its basically always been stuff that i feel comfortable in which i spose come into the catergory of 'unusual' hence why i get stared at wherever i go, i love anything bright and unusual i would never wear a pair of jeans or anything like that as i just dont feel comfortable, in fact i put on some trousers and a black t shirt the other to do some cleaning and my kids turned round and said oh my god mom you look so wierd!! for me the brighter the better, i dont follow any trends either, emo goth whatever i spsoe if anything its more a fruitsy style i dres in but obviously had no idea 20 years ago thats that what it was. my family have always thought (or hoped should i say) that i would grow out of it but here i am at nearly 32 years of age still wearing bright 'odd' clothes and to be honest i really cant see myself changing, even shoes i cant wear just normal shoes that have to be big or just different
i rember going on holiday when i was about 8 and this geezer was selling loadsa rexlace (didnt know what it was back then) i bought loadsa and loads of it then when we got back to the apartment i braided it all into my hair much to my parents dismay!! ive always done my own hair since about being that age no one apart from me was allowed to touch it, im still a bit like that with it now i remeber my mom saying to people you'll have to excuse the way she looks shes going through a mad phase at the moment lol
sophie
otherwise known as...
moomin love
TwIsTeD TaT
trippytroll
sale stuff here, make offers
http://trippytroll.livejournal.com/66563.html#cutid1

venus

Post by venus » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:49 am

halocaustic wrote:
I did a lot of bleaching, crimping and smudging ;)

ahhhh....memories
Haha, sounds just like me. Would spend hours crimping and backcombing.
Happy days indeed

DoomBot

Post by DoomBot » Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:08 am

Of course Amelia
She is absolute perfection to me. Always matching completley done up in every aspect.
I'm also a big fan of the super bright sisen/zerolouie style as well as victorian-esque fashion. In the 1900's there was basically a dressed code that followed widows. With all black for the first year after a husbands death with slow integration of colours. The idea of this also is very interesting to me. My style swings between these two looks mostly I suppose.

But truely my own personal style is closest to Zoetica I suppose. My wardrobe really seems to reflect what she has on in alot of her photos.
Casual and formal wise.

Twiggy

Post by Twiggy » Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:31 am

^^ i love that purple outfit
<<Giggles, Lollipops && Firearms>>

Cyan1deCandy Dreads

Kodachi

Post by Kodachi » Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:59 am

It is cool!

invertedcross

Post by invertedcross » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:00 am

In my earlier days I was influenced heavily by jrock fashion, I've moved away from that a bit though. I came to like Mana in his later stages, EGA, dandyism, etc. I have gradually moved through a slight Victorian-inspired gothish period into some twist between cybergoth and casual-formal attire; looking classy and dressed-up as well as looking like some sort of babe from a retro-science fiction movie like Brazil or Bioshock or something..
I like high fashion, because it's more absurd than anything most "alternative" people wear. Some people look down their noses at the weird kids dressed in black and crazy neon colors, but fuss over things like this:
http://www.firstview.com/collection.php ... =18829&of=

http://www.firstview.com/collection.php ... =18843&of=

And of course Hel-Looks is a fun place to check out what people are up to.
http://www.hel-looks.com/?p=image/archi ... 090430_04/

hellsbells

Post by hellsbells » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:25 pm

Hehehe, my 9 year old has this t-shirt :D

http://www.hel-looks.com/?p=image/archi ... 090422_01/

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:27 am

hellsbells wrote:Hehehe, my 9 year old has this t-shirt :D

http://www.hel-looks.com/?p=image/archi ... 090422_01/
ot - but you don't look old enough to have a 9 year old!
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Socially awkward since 1982
Decimation Fashion
Tumblr
Formerly known as DreadstarMonstar

hellsbells

Post by hellsbells » Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:32 pm

@ DreadstarMonstar: *Hugs* Thanks honey! I'm 30 this month :mrgreen:

invertedcross

Post by invertedcross » Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:50 pm

hellsbells wrote:@ DreadstarMonstar: *Hugs* Thanks honey! I'm 30 this month :mrgreen:
Happy birthday :P

I tend to swivel between two styles as DoomBot mentioned, I am torn between traditional goth (though I usually lean more toward Renaissance-style than Victorian) and a 80's-punky-cybergoth.

I would dress steampunk but... it's all in accessorizing there and I can't afford anything cast brass :roll: and I already have too many black clothes!

I think jewelry/other accessories really influence me stylistically, even though I don't wear much of it. Just a staple necklace that I can build multiple outfits from is perfect! The same goes for waist cinchers, armwarmers, braces, etc. A single pair of shoes was the catalyst for me to start dressing more cybergothy instead of just in boring old black :lol:

RevaM1ssP1ss

Post by RevaM1ssP1ss » Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:00 pm

Argh! Luie's got some awesome new photos up! Inspiration to the max! O__O

^___^

[[Violet.Nightmare]]

Post by [[Violet.Nightmare]] » Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:43 pm

RevaM1ssP1ss wrote:Argh! Luie's got some awesome new photos up! Inspiration to the max! O__O

:O where does she get those gloves from?
"Once you cressp you just cant splessp"

RevaM1ssP1ss

Post by RevaM1ssP1ss » Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:56 pm

If you look in the picture underneath that in my post she's wearing them on her feet :P

Good question though. She has a knitted top that I quite adore and always wondered where it was from. I'll edit in a picture if I have one.

EDIT: The original one I saw and loved (green) and then a more recent pink one :)

Last edited by RevaM1ssP1ss on Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
^___^

Haylum

Post by Haylum » Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:58 pm

I need those shoes :shock:
Haggis McNoodle Synthetic Dreadlocks

Unmentioned Secret Lovechild of the Blue Army and Red Rebellion

Return to “Noise - General Chatter”