The Mommy thread!

Forum rules
The' GENERAL CHAT- silly posts' thread will be locked monthly. The old thread will remain for access for a month and then be deleted. This is to remove information from storage that is old. If you need information from the locked thread please retrieve it before it is deleted.

Please be inclusive of everyone- this is an area for all members to chat and feel part of the community.

1) No trolling or posting topics with the intention of causing upset.
2) No swearing.
3) No abusive or derogatory comments about any group of people based on their look, beliefs, morals, religion, sexual orientation, gender, race, ethnicity , profession or country will be tolerated.
4) Keep 'angst' style posts to a minimum.
5) Keep topics PG13 - we don't have to be all nice and sugary, but nothing too graphic please.
6) *If you are asking where to buy something or asking where to find an item please post in Want To Buy- not here. This may also apply if you are looking for product information that will lead to indirect promotion.

(Remember you need to abide by the 50 posts/30 day rule in Want To Buy)
..::AtomicLox::..

Re: The Mommy thread!

Post by ..::AtomicLox::.. » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:51 pm

Just do what feels right and if it isn't working change your tune. :)

Logan honestly has led us through most of his transitions flawlessly. I still hold him every night for him to fall asleep (I can't just put him down, he's about 14 months now) but he'll sleep in his crib all night after, and he doesn't need a sippy/bottle to sleep anymore, just a cuddle. Honestly I kind of like it because it's the only time he'll let me snuggle him for more than two seconds. ^_^

We started solids at about 18 months but I wish I would've earlier. He was showing signs of being ready and I was nervous it was too soon. Honestly i think he was born ready for solids. We started with thickening his milk with cereals and moved to purees and mashed foods from there. Now I can hand him almost anything and he's a little munch machine!
The mind and hands behind Imp And Petal dreads!

http://www.impandpetal.etsy.com
http://www.facebook.com/ImpAndPetal

patricia*star

Post by patricia*star » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:51 pm

At this stage im an empty page parenting-wise so any links you think will help are ok by me :D

Do you tailor the parenting style to suit you or do you tailor it to what the baby wants/needs? Is there some kind of default strategy? :lol:

Haha i realise this probably sounds ridiculous but there is so much opposing information on the net that i dont know wether im in York or Cork! :lol:

I will have a gander at that AP debate though sarah, is it in A & C?
The show must go on. Inside my heart is breaking, my makeup may be flaking but my smile still stays on.

Izzybeau

Post by Izzybeau » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:30 pm

You might be surprised how much comes naturally to you when your LO is born. My maternal instincts went into hypodrive and I really shocked myself at things I just "knew". The best thing is to go with the flow and not worry too much about what people or HV's say. Like you said theres so many conflicting dos and dont's its hard to work out what to do, but do what feels right for you and your baby. Its exciting times and a whole new realm :D
http://www.facebook.com/izzybeau.uk

(\__/)
(='.'=) OoOoOooohhh!!!
(")_(")

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:57 pm

What izzy said.

Yeah, it's in A&P. It's perfectly normal to feel like you won't know a thing. You'll be surprised how you just go with it & things "fall" in to place. Bounty is a good place I think - just there are some drama llamas on there!! If you venture in to the forums about bottle feeding vs breast there's always at least one person that will preach to you, regardless on the option you're choosing. Babies cause debate, there are always people about that tell you your way is wrong & their way is better. Ignorance is key to these people as what works for one may not work for another. Breastfeeding for me, for example did not work. there are some really nice people on bounty too though.

I didn't even realise the pain I was in whilst in labour with Seth was me actually contracting! :lol:

BTW - a guy I work with has an almost new M&P pram, with car seat & whatnot for £100 if you were interested. It's hardly been used.
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Socially awkward since 1982
Decimation Fashion
Tumblr
Formerly known as DreadstarMonstar

somekindafreak

Post by somekindafreak » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:10 pm

Lots of good advice in here Lisa I agree with everyone else that it really does come naturally and you dont need to stick to one kind of parenting or another, just do what works for you. Try not to get too hung up on being a "type of parent" as there really isnt such a thing :)
Indecisive army FTW

"So raise your glass if you are wrong in all the right ways..."

ScarletLady

Post by ScarletLady » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:36 am

To be honest, I found a lot of ideals I had about what sort of parent I wanted to be completely went out of the window when Scarlet was born. I really do think that most parents are winging it the majority of the time :lol:
scarlet's taking over the asylum aka ladypanel

* Queen of Tangents*

thecutealternative

Post by thecutealternative » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:09 pm

I agree with mostly everything the other ladies have said, I read up on all different types/methods of parenting, and had certain ideas about how I would raise Rosie, but so far I am just going with the flow and doing what I feel is best for her. Many people offer their advice but only you know what is best for your baby! It's a huge learning curve but it's totally amazing :D

On the subject of weaning (sorry going back a bit) I'm not going to start weaning yet, I'm pretty sure Rosie is perfectly content with milk currently so I'm not going to rush her (despite people telling me I should already :roll: ) I think when I do start It will be baby rice/porridge, leading to puree's to introduce different tastes, then start to introduce finger foods. Rosie tries to put everything in her mouth so I won't have a problem trying to get her to pick up foods haha!

I'm not sure if it's standard or a welsh thing but a nursery nurse/health visitor comes out at 18 weeks to talk to you about weaning so I'll see what she says too, she's coming out on Friday...so..

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:33 pm

Must be a welsh thing as here the Hv's only mention weaning once they're over 24 weeks, I got a phonecall so I told em I didn't need any help & they've left me alone so yeah. I'm sure they'll have some suggestions but you sound like you know what you're doing anyway Kellye.
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Decimation Fashion
Tumblr

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:29 pm

I'm incredibly sad. Someone from DID09 was having another baby, she was due last week. Was in hospital being monitored & they said if labour hadn't started by today, they'd induce. Consultant went to see her today & her baby had lost her heartbeat, they've sent her home & she goes back tomorrow to deliver her baby.

I'm so upset. I can't imagine how awful that must be.

Decimation Fashion
Tumblr

Izzybeau

Post by Izzybeau » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:42 pm

Thats so so sad. It makes me feel sick hearing stories like that. I feel for any family who have to deal with something so horriffic. Similar things happened to my auntie, baby was breach so she was going to have c-section. They gave her a choice of a Tuesday and Thursday. She chose the Thursday to have more time to get things ready. Baby died in womb o the Wednesday. he blamed herself for a long time for not taking the Tuesday. So sad.
http://www.facebook.com/izzybeau.uk

(\__/)
(='.'=) OoOoOooohhh!!!
(")_(")

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:33 pm

It just makes you treasure what you've got.

I don't know how anyone could cope with such a loss. I really don't.

Decimation Fashion
Tumblr

Skettihoop

Post by Skettihoop » Mon May 13, 2013 8:56 am

Haven't posted on here in AGES!!
I hope all you Mums and lil ones are doing good :)
Here's a few recent pics of Eli, can't believe he's 3 in August!

And does Jesus like my hair?
I don't think he f*cking cares!
Nor do I, Nor do I..

trippytroll

Post by trippytroll » Tue May 21, 2013 4:26 pm

ive been thinking about you loads, wondering how eli is ggetting on hon, thanks for the pics,so lovely to see. Hes so cute x
sophie
otherwise known as...
moomin love
TwIsTeD TaT
trippytroll
sale stuff here, make offers
http://trippytroll.livejournal.com/66563.html#cutid1

Skettihoop

Post by Skettihoop » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:36 am

Awwh thankoo :)
And does Jesus like my hair?
I don't think he f*cking cares!
Nor do I, Nor do I..

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:52 am

Totally cute :)

Decimation Fashion
Tumblr

AutumnSilverMoon

Post by AutumnSilverMoon » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:55 pm

My new little one. Avery Justice. He can go around saying "Justice is my middle name" when hes older.

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:19 pm

Squeeeeeeee! He's beautiful!!

Decimation Fashion
Tumblr

trippytroll

Post by trippytroll » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:46 pm

omg! so much adorableness
how old is he?
sophie
otherwise known as...
moomin love