The Mommy thread!

Forum rules
The' GENERAL CHAT- silly posts' thread will be locked monthly. The old thread will remain for access for a month and then be deleted. This is to remove information from storage that is old. If you need information from the locked thread please retrieve it before it is deleted.

Please be inclusive of everyone- this is an area for all members to chat and feel part of the community.

1) No trolling or posting topics with the intention of causing upset.
2) No swearing.
3) No abusive or derogatory comments about any group of people based on their look, beliefs, morals, religion, sexual orientation, gender, race, ethnicity , profession or country will be tolerated.
4) Keep 'angst' style posts to a minimum.
5) Keep topics PG13 - we don't have to be all nice and sugary, but nothing too graphic please.
6) *If you are asking where to buy something or asking where to find an item please post in Want To Buy- not here. This may also apply if you are looking for product information that will lead to indirect promotion.

(Remember you need to abide by the 50 posts/30 day rule in Want To Buy)
somekindafreak

Re: The Mommy thread!

Post by somekindafreak » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:00 pm

Hehe sure am and still waiting.... 3 days overdue now at least it's only a max of 11 days one way or the other untill Pipsqueak is here....
Indecisive army FTW

"So raise your glass if you are wrong in all the right ways..."

Izzybeau

Post by Izzybeau » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:56 pm

Aww I know how that feels. I went 14 days over with mine and I was so so so fed up at the end of it.
How it all goes well and you meet your little one soon :)
http://www.facebook.com/izzybeau.uk

(\__/)
(='.'=) OoOoOooohhh!!!
(")_(")

chelseagirl

Post by chelseagirl » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:10 pm

Hi all! I pretty much disappeared for quite a while after the birth of my son, but I'm back now. :) Here's the love of my life, Carlin:

He was born 12/28/2010, and was 22 inches long and 10 pounds 8 ounces. :)

He's pretty young in this photo...I need to upload a more recent one. I can't believe I never wanted kids! I just love him so much!

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:49 pm

Awww, congrats ChelseaGirl. I know what you mean, I never had any intention of having kids either & I have two! :lol:

Welcome to our thread!!
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Socially awkward since 1982
Decimation Fashion
Tumblr
Formerly known as DreadstarMonstar

..::AtomicLox::..

Post by ..::AtomicLox::.. » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:46 pm

I got busy and missed the awesome news! SALLY! YAY!!!

All the girls nailed it of course, I have pretty significant cramping and such until about 8-10 weeks and everything was totally fine. Scared the CRAP out of me daily of course. It can be so hard to relax, but it's a must. I'm so thrilled for you!!!
The mind and hands behind Imp And Petal dreads!

http://www.impandpetal.etsy.com
http://www.facebook.com/ImpAndPetal

Izzybeau

Post by Izzybeau » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:52 am

well its been 3 nights now and my daughter has been dry through the night :D So proud of her.
She has been dry through the day for quite a while, but I wanted to leave the nights for aslong as I could as she doesnt sleep great. So all in all, I am a happy and proud Mum.

(\__/)
(='.'=) OoOoOooohhh!!!
(")_(")

trippytroll

Post by trippytroll » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:30 pm

oh my sally that is absolutely AMAZING NEWS, congratulations
i really am so thrilled for the both of you xxx
sophie
otherwise known as...
moomin love
TwIsTeD TaT
trippytroll
sale stuff here, make offers
http://trippytroll.livejournal.com/66563.html#cutid1

~Azaezl~

Post by ~Azaezl~ » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:04 am

Haven't been on here in ages, lots and lots of drama been happening with Kyoko's health but she's sort of stable now, not okay but anyway.... I couldn't believe my eyes when I read the news! HUUUUGE congratulations Sally I'm so pleased for you xxx :mrgreen:
Kanadeta senritsusae, Mou todokanai yumeno ato
Facebook

dragongirl

Post by dragongirl » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:01 pm

Thanks guys. Well it's not good news I'm afraid. It's been a rather emotional last few days. On Friday I started bleeding :( I was so shocked and just instantly broke into tears. I'd heard of spooting but it didn't seem like what I was expecting. excuse the bluntness but it was bright red and quite a lot of it. My husband decided to drive me straight to a walk in centre who then sent us to a and e. They saw us quite quickly and took a blood test. They did a scan but said they couldn't see anything and so it's a pregnancy of unknown location. Either it's too early at six weeks, it's ectopic, or it's not there. The doctor said she could see my Walls had thickened. She thought I wasn't bleeding to much and that it can sometimes be normal. I've got to go for another blood test tomorrow and they're going to compare the hcg levels between the 2 tests to hopefully see that it's gone up. I won't know the results till Monday. I stopped bleeding later that day but have been bleeding on and off all day today. I've had a really bad pain in my back but no cramps or really bad pain. I've also heard that a m/c can be like a very bad period and it's not been as bad as a normal period. It's just agonising the not knowing. I feel like I'm on a roller coaster as one moment I thought it was all over, the next I felt a bit more hopeful as bleeding had stopped, and then it started again. I'm trying to think on the positive side and if it doesn't work out, at least I got this far.

Another annoying thing was I was going to tell my parents I was pregnant on Sat but instead had to let them know whilst in tears as I thought I was having a m/c. The universe is crap!

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:15 pm

Aw, hugs hon. Some people bleed regularly all the way through, as regularly & a heavily as periods.

Chin up chick. My thoughts are with you & your hubby.

Please keep us informed on what is going on. xxx
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Decimation Fashion
Tumblr

ScarletLady

Post by ScarletLady » Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:18 am

Hugs to you hon. When I had a miscarriage it was AGONY. I couldn't stand up, and it was literally pouring out (sorry way TMI there). I've heard ectopics are very painful as well and the pain tends to be at the front on one side constantly.

Here's hoping anyway, rest as much as you can. My sister in law had "periods" at regular intervals throughout her whole pregnancy, so it can happen.
scarlet's taking over the asylum aka ladypanel

* Queen of Tangents*

somekindafreak

Post by somekindafreak » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:30 am

I hope everything is ok Sally *hugs*

Ladies of Hef please welcome Miss Skye Bryony Elliott to the world born on 8/6/12 at 1.54pm after 1 hr 24mins of established labour- my god was that a shock to the system :lol: She weighed 8lb 9oz I was allowed home after 5 hrs too which was nice and have been relaxing and enjoying her since :)

Indecisive army FTW

"So raise your glass if you are wrong in all the right ways..."

thecutealternative

Post by thecutealternative » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:39 pm

Emma - Awww, she is gorgeous!!! Congratulations lovely :-D I've been thinking of you wondering if little one had arrived yet!

Sally - I'm sorry to hear the worry you are going through *hugs* I know it's easier said than done but try and relax as much as you can, have a nice warm bath or read a good book. I really hope tomorrow goes well, keep us updated, I'll be thinking of you xxx

Chelseagirl - good to have you back! Your little boy is adorable, congrats!

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:00 pm

Congrats Emma. I saw James' post on facebook after she was born, well done :D

I've ordered a potty for Korben, I don't think he is quite ready but as I'm off work for the week I figured I'd give it a whirl. I've also got little pants ready for him. Naaaw.

Also, on our trip to the shop earlier I got this beauty of a photograph:

Decimation Fashion
Tumblr

Izzybeau

Post by Izzybeau » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:24 am

I'm never sure if its ok for me to call people by their real names as I don't know you all, but my thoughts and love are with you Sally. And to Emma, congratulations on your gorgeous baby girl xx

(\__/)
(='.'=) OoOoOooohhh!!!
(")_(")

dragongirl

Post by dragongirl » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:32 pm

Congrats Emma, really cute picture and a very pretty baby.

Thought I'd let you ladies know i've had my results, and it's not good. My Hcg had doubled as it should but wasn't high enough which explains why they couldn't see anything on the scan but. The bad news is that I have low progesterone and so the doctor said the pregnancy probably isn't viable and now I'm just waiting to miscarry. The worse thing is knowing it's inevitable but having to wait around for it to happen. I've been booked in for a scan next Monday and they said they might do another blood test then. I knew on Friday it wasn't going to be good and know it wasn't to be, but I can't help feeling sad and have shed a fair few tears over the past few days.
On a positive side I know now I can get pregnant and that low progesterone may be a reason why I was struggling to conceive. So I have more information then I had before as to what might be the problem. This is certainly not the end and I will have a baby in my arms one day.

I want to thank all you ladies for your kind words and support, it's been great to have someone to talk to about all this.

KelsieStars

Post by KelsieStars » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:55 pm

Dragongirl (is it ok to call you Sally?)

I'm so sorry to read your news - I dip in and out of this thread (I'm not a mother yet myself - but am hoping to be soon) and have been reading about your struggles. I just wanted to send your some virtual-hair-board hugs, it's so difficult but you must focus on the positive....as you said - you now know you can get pregnant. It will happen for you.

Kelly
xx

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:47 pm

Aaaw, that sucks Sally. Hugs to you doll face, I hope the zygote is a fighter & all works out for you. If not, I like your optimism & I wish you & your hubby all the luck in the world. xxx

Decimation Fashion
Tumblr

chelseagirl

Post by chelseagirl » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:20 pm

dragongirl wrote:Congrats Emma, really cute picture and a very pretty baby.

Thought I'd let you ladies know i've had my results, and it's not good. My Hcg had doubled as it should but wasn't high enough which explains why they couldn't see anything on the scan but. The bad news is that I have low progesterone and so the doctor said the pregnancy probably isn't viable and now I'm just waiting to miscarry. The worse thing is knowing it's inevitable but having to wait around for it to happen. I've been booked in for a scan next Monday and they said they might do another blood test then. I knew on Friday it wasn't going to be good and know it wasn't to be, but I can't help feeling sad and have shed a fair few tears over the past few days.
On a positive side I know now I can get pregnant and that low progesterone may be a reason why I was struggling to conceive. So I have more information then I had before as to what might be the problem. This is certainly not the end and I will have a baby in my arms one day.

I want to thank all you ladies for your kind words and support, it's been great to have someone to talk to about all this.
I'm so sorry to hear, but don't lose hope! The SAME thing happened to me! I had 6 false negative pregnancy tests because my Hcg was so low, and I also had low progesterone. My doctor also told me the same thing your doctor said to you. I went in daily to have my levels checked, and when I was really losing all hope, my levels jumped up! The rest of my pregnancy went well, and my son was born in December of 2010. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! /hug

thecutealternative

Post by thecutealternative » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:20 am

Aww Sally I'm really sorry to hear that, but like you said, the positive side is you know you can get pregnant! I really wish you all the best *hugs* if you want to talk/vent I'm here :)

I'm going to post my birth/follow up story now, it's long I'm sorry, but I think I need to post it, to help myself if that makes sense.

thecutealternative

Post by thecutealternative » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:25 am

Birth

On the morning of 8th march, at term plus 5, I went to my regular antenatal appointment, hoping I would have perhaps a sweep and be sent home to see if things would progress naturally. No such luck! Again babies heartbeat was irregular but also decelerating, and I was also showing signs of pre-eclampsia so was sent straight to Shrewsbury hospital to be monitored and for a decision to be made, whether to induce me or leave me labour naturally. Every time I had been sent to hospital for monitoring, the ECG/monitors could never accurately pick up babies heart beat due to it being so irregular, the machines just went crazy and set off alarms, which was nothing new to me as it had been found at 36 weeks and i was told was normal, however they were concerned so at this point I was given some options. Go home to labour naturally, get induced and sent home, or get induced and stay in. I chose to be induced, which they said would be best, as baby could be kept an eye on. In the mean time my consultant or midwife must have spoken to a cardiologist, who came to have a listen and also to scan babies heart. I was used to this so didn't think anything of it. They really struggled to scan her heart so I was sent down for a more detailed scan and at this point the cardiologist said it would be best for the baby to come sooner than later. They didn't want me to labour naturally as the babies heart wouldnt be able to be monitored properly and if she was distressed there would be no way of knowing. At this point I was so excited, we were going to meet our baby very very soon! After it was decided that a c- section would be best they explained that the baby had what they suspected was heart block. I was way too excited about meeting my baby, and nervous about the c-section and really didn't take in what they were saying, which I should have, but in hind sight perhaps it was best I didn't, I would have just worried more.

So my section was booked for 9 that night as I'd eaten at about 3 and they have to wait 6 hours after eating!  Cue lots of waiting around..Because I'd been induced  I started to get contractions, but didn't really realise, I just thought it was baby moving around, haha. When I mentioned it to my midwife I was hooked up immediately and it turned out I was having contractions every 3 minutes! They then rushed me in for a emergency section. Again I didn't really realise why. Too excited.

So I was in theatre, which was great actually, the radio was on, everyone was chatting and friendly. Very relaxed! They were even singing a long to the radio! I was given my epidural, and will never forget the song playing as I went numb, ed sheeran - Lego house. Before I knew it I was being cut open. I can't remember the song playing whilst Rosie was born, I was proper daft, I went from deliriously happy and daft to feeling incredibly sick. Then the most pivotal amazing moment in my life. My beautiful baby girl was born. I'm welling up just writing this. She was a very healthy 8lb 6oz. They whipped her away, cleaned her and then brought her over to meet me. Amazing. I cried, and kept repeating to Dave, our beautiful baby girl, look our baby girl. Then they took her away to the neo-natal unit :-( they had explained she would go there just to be checked because of her irregular heartbeat, and that it was routine, and not to worry. Yeah right. I wish that were true.

I was stitched up. Very odd feeling, like some one is washing up in your tummy, then I was taken to recovery, at this point I was ecstatically happy as I had a beautiful baby daughter, and I was also high as a kite from the epidural, I was singing and humming and chatting away, rang my mum etc. Very vague recollections. Next thing I remember I was in a room on the ward, Dave had been to see Rosie in neo natal, he'd rushed back to say they were bringing Rosie in to meet me! I cried, I was just so happy and overwhelmed. She was all wired up to machines they had to wheel along with her incubator. They popped her on my chest and suggested I tried to feed her, I didn't need to try, she snuggled down to my breast naturally, it was amazing! She came in a few hours later again for a feed, just incredible, then I rested, ready for the next morning, and meeting my beautiful girl properly!!

If I'm honest this is hard to write as I'm trying to block out some of the bad things as I get too upset. Basically Rosie was wired up to various machines to monitor her heart. When she was born her heart rate was 50 bpm, when a newborn should be 140+ bpm. They were in talks with Birmingham children's hospital immediately, discussing what medical intervention they should do to help speed up her heart, but by the time they had discussed it her heart rate was improving. Everyday it improved by about 10bpm, until she was steady by about 3 days old at 100 bpm ish. I was back and forth feeding and staying with Rosie except when I had to eat/have Meds/get obs/sleep, and the machines surrounding Rosie made me hugely paranoid, because her heartbeat was still very irregular they kept setting off alarms, and if her heart rate dipped it set them off. I had baby blues pretty bad, spent a lot of time crying, especially when I wasn't with her. It was so hard being separated, I cried when I wasn't with her, when I knew I was going to see her, when I was with her, when I had to leave her! I was. A barrel of emotions. My OH Dave was my rock, and we had a constant stream of family and friends everyday, which helped enormously. I got in a right state one night and was asked if I would like Dave to stay, so he had a camp bed by my side. I couldn't have done it without him! we enjoyed the time together and with our gorgeous girl and couldn't wait to take her home!

On monday afternoon, Rosie is 4 days old at this point, we were seen by the drs and told they were going to scan Rosie's heart. So a chap turns up, spends about 30 mins scanning a very upset Rosie, broke my heart, I wanted to kick him. Just as he was finishing Dave pops out to the loo, and I make the stupid mistake of asking if everything is ok. He says actually no, but I will come back in a bit to talk it through with you. I sobbed. So he comes back and explains that Rosie's heart chambers are twisted, there is a few other things he is concerned with too. At this point he tells us he is not a trained cardiologist he just takes an interest in it, but what he does say is that he hasnt known anyone survive long with this problem. I can't explain the complete and utter despair I felt. My world was crumbling and my heart was breaking for my perfect girl. I went into shock. It was the worst time of my life. I honestly can't put into words how horrific it was. I didn't sleep that night, I spent most of the time in with Rosie just holding her between feeds and crying.

Tuesday morning we were seen by another doctor who had reviewed the findings of the scan. He was a cardiologist, but still told us the wrong diagnosis. Although it was better than the last one, it was still pretty severe and Rosie's life expectancy was uncertain. We were told she had a double switch. Heart-switch  is where your arteries are switched and pumping blood incorrectly, I.e, the clean blood goes into your lungs and the dirty blood into your system, double switch is very rare apparently and is where your heart switches and repairs itself but the arteries are twisted and so are the chambers or something like that. My brain was pretty mashed at this point. I was pleased it wasn't as bad as they thought the day before but still scared and felt so lost.

The hospital had been in talks with Birmingham childrens hospital and they decided she should be taken there straight away. I really wish she had gone there in the first couple of days to save all the heartache. A ambulance was set up immediately and she was taken in a incubator with two lovely nurses at around midday, I couldn't go with her, nor Dave and that broke our hearts too. Our poor baby. I  was then discharged. Nearly five hours later. Not impressed at all. All I wanted was to be with my baby girl. Dave drove us to brum and we got there by around six, as we had to stop and get a car seat on the way as ours was at home!

We were taken to the ward and got to see our beautiful girl finally, and we met the nurse looking after her. We started chatting and told her what they had told us in Shrewsbury was wrong with her. She smiled all the way through, and I thought either she is sick in the head or knows something we don't. She kept saying, I think you should just wait and see the doctor. So about 15 minutes later the doctor came in, we explained again and he said, wow, wait. Forget everything shrewsbury told you, they are completely wrong. He pointed at Dave and said, I don't know what your heart looks like, and pointed at me and said the same, then he pointed at himself and said, but I know what my heart looks like and Rosie's is exactly the same as mine. He said her heart is formed perfectly normally and is functioning the way it should, it's just got a extra artery formed, called a coronary artery fistula. Basically a extra artery going from her main artery and into one chamber, which is just pumping blood continually around. Basically it's causing no problems at the moment but could possibly in the future,  it could cause tissue/muscle to die where its taking the blood from, or cause the chamber where it is pumping blood to, to stretch, this will have to be corrected with keyhole surgery in the future. He explained she also still had heart block too, which would need to be monitored and possibly corrected with a pacemaker in the future.  Cue more crying from me, tears of pure relief and happiness too that it wasn't so bad after all. I could have kissed this guy. I told him that too and he laughed. He said he would come and see us in the morning and we would chat some more then. It was late now, and we needed to find accommodation. Not to go into detail but we stayed in the Ronald McDonald house, incredible charitable organisation. Amazing place. 

To summarise Rosie stayed in Birmingham for two days, they were so pleased with her progress we were allowed to take her home. The moment I was told that, I was so happy I cried. We have since been back four times for check ups. I can't explain how grateful I am to the drs and nurses in Birmingham, they were and still are incredible. They could answer any question you asked clearly and were very reassuring. We have signs to look out for, and if we are concerned in the slightest we have to go straight to a&e. 

Rosie is as I post/wrote this 13weeks and 5 days old, they are so pleased with her progress that they are putting off her surgery until she is around 6 months old! She will definitely need it before she starts to crawl properly or start walking due to the pressure on her heart. Also her heart block is improving on it's own. She now spends more time in a regular rhythm than in heart block, which is incredible news :-D

I'm sorry this is such an essay, in a way it's been really cathartic for me to write this down. This is really a brief a lot more happened but it was hard writing this all. It was a really hard few weeks in the beginning. 

I love my baby girl so much, she is the light of my life, my pride and joy, I just can't explain how much I love her. She's incredible!!!!

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:06 am

Aw, Kellye. Labour is hard enough & those first few days are trying I think the fact you didn't/haven't cracked up is a miracle. I can't even begin to imagine how hard it has been for you both. I thought I had pretty bad baby blues first time round but Tbh what I went through is a drop in the ocean compared to yourself.

I'm so pleased to read Rosie has improved a lot, that must be a welcome relief for you both.

Decimation Fashion
Tumblr

~Azaezl~

Post by ~Azaezl~ » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:47 am

Oh Sally I'm so sorry *hugs* I really hope that things turn out for the better but like you said at least you know you can get pregnant x

Congratulations Emma xx She's gorgeous :)

Oh Kellye what an emotional rollercoatser for you, I'm so so pleased that things turned out better then expected and Rosie is going to be fine.

So I've been away from here for ages and I thought here would be the best place to explain as it's mainly down to Kyoko's health (this is going to be fairly long sorry).

Kyoko has had bowel probelms since she was a toddler, chronic constipation which led to overflow incontinence (this still flares up now and again), it took us about a year to get her back into a regular pattern of going and not holding on. Throughout that time her wee had smelt funny every now and again which I did mention to the paediatrician but he didn't seem too phased and thought it was down to the hard stools putting pressure on her bladder and causing her not to empty it properly yada yada(basically don't worry it's fine). She's 6 (almost 7) now and has had (suspected) uti's every few months since then, the problem was her wee would smell for a day or two but then it would be fine, she wouldn't be in any pain so I just shrugged it off as it was the norm for her. She did however have some full on uti's that lasted for over a week and she had antibiotics for it, she ended up in hospital once because she was vomitting because it had made her so ill but again we were told it's all okay not to worry. Then last autumn she had another one so off we went to the GP who noticed she'd had a few and said she wanted to get her checked out just to be on the safe side.

She had an ultrasound scan in december to check her kidneys, the sonographer didn't tell us a thing but looked a bit concerned and kept asking us how soon we were seeing the urologist and did she get alot of uti's etc. So lots of worrying from me until we go and see the urologist, who informs us that she has some scarring on her kidneys but not to worry about it and that she needed a different type of scan to check how bad it is....and then things went downhill from there.

Whilst this was going on my OH Nick was having lots of health problems, he was dizzy and /or nauseous most of the time, would pass out now and again and have what appeared to be fits, chest pains, excrutiating headaches so he was back and forth to the GP and hospital for tests (initially they suspected he had something wrong with his heart)

So back to Kyoko...in Jan she went in to have a DMSA scan, which is where they inject radioactive material into you and then scan you a few hours later, as expected she was worried about it because it involved a needle and she doesn't like needles. We were given emla (numbing) cream to put on her hands and inner elbows, we did that an hour beforehand so that it was nice and numb by the time we got there. We went in to the room the nurse got all of her bits and bobs out and Kyoko stated crying and shaking when the nurse removed the clear plaster things holding the cream on(she hates having plasters removed), she was sitting on Nick's knee for the procedure and he was going a little pale. So we have screaming, crying, shaking and the nurse calls another nurse in to pin Kyoko's arm down so she couldn't move it, she jabbed the needle in and Kyoko's scream became a few decibels louder, she wriggled whilst they changed from the saline solution to the radioactive stuff and they ended up injecting the whole lot into her tissue instead of the vein (causing a massive painful lump). At that exact moment Nick starts to slump, he's collapsing so they have to yank Kyoko off his knee and quickly get him a bed as he's fitting again, the nurse was rubbing the lump in the meantime trying to get the stuff to pass into the vein and Kyoko is screaming and crying in agony. Eventually we get taken to Nick's bed whilst the nurse speaks to a radiologist (think that's the right term) after waiting around for another 30mins they take her in to the scan room to check her hand and yep ALL of the stuff is in her hand and they can't do the scan that day and re-schedule for valentine's day.

This time they book her in to have a cannula fitted and to have a play specialist assist to avoid the lump situation again, Kyoko is terrified of going but she knows she will be rewarded with a build a bear trip so manages to stay relatively calm. We go and see the play specialist she talks us through everything, talks to Kyoko about everything shows her how they fit a cannula, gets a portable dvd player out and lets kyoko pick a dvd to watch whislt it's done and she also arranges for her to have gas & air. Loooooong story short it takes 2 hours WITH her high on entonox to get the cannula in, we have more screaming and crying in the nuclear dept when she has the stuff put in the end of the cannula, then another 3 hours of screaming and gas etc to get the cannula out. She has the scan done a few hours later and one of the nurses form the kids ward tells us she's never had a child react so badly to having a cannula fitted and to get her some psychiatric help.

So whilst we wait for the urologist appointment we go and see the GP, tell her everything that's happened and she refers her to the children's mental health services. Nick gets the all clear for his heart (ecg's come back fine, treadmill test, blood tests) so they are going to focus on his brain and refer him to a neurologist. We go back to see the urologist and get given the bad news, both of Kyoko's kidneys are badly scarred, the left one in particular which is only 25% functioning and she needs further tests to get more detail about the scarring and also to check if it's kidney reflux. If it is kidney reflux they can fix it with an operation if it's not...well we cross that bridge when we come to it. So she's booked in for a Mag3 test and I forget what the other is called (she has to wee whislt they scan her), we already know it's not going to go well but we could not have predicted how badly.

Back for a cannula, that gets fitted no problem because she knows that it doens't hurt and she gets to see her play specialist who she loves, so 10 mins for that. Then we go up to the nuclear dept and lets just say all hell broke loose and they had to stop the appointment because she was curled up on the scan table howling (literally) between the screams and cries of no. They couldn't inject the stuff into her and no amount of coaxing, praise, telling off, presents(I had a bag full of gifts) would calm her down / allow them to do it. So they said they'd stop do a few other appointments and try again, we tried again a few hours later...same problem so they had to stop again. So they suggested putting it off until she's seen the psychiatrist to see if they can help her get over it. I suggested sedation but they said no because she has to be awake during one of the procedures, they also can't inject her whislt she's curled up screaming she has to lay flat on the table because they have to scan as soon as it's injected not like the DMSA where it's injected and then the scan 3-4 hours later.

Now to put things into perspective...this is hard for me because I wasn't sure if I wanted to tell anyone but I know you girls are not judgemental so here it is.....whilst this was going on I was being referred for my own diagnosis. I've always known I was different and I have such bad problems socially(as well as lots of other things) and well another long story short I was refered to an autism diagnostic centre and was diagnosed with Asperger's and I'm 99% sure Kyoko has it too because she has alot of traits and has alot of sensory problems like me. So we go to the psychiatrist with Kyoko I tell her all the problems we have with Kyoko, not just the hospital but in shcool and her sensory issues etc. I also tell the Dr that I have recently been diagnosed with Asperger's and my husband has a bi-polar diagnosis (but they don't think that's entirely right but it's the closest disorder that seems to fit him). She needs to have Kyoko assesed by lots of different people, an occupational therapist, a sensory specialist a play therapist and she needs to be observed in school. So far we've only seen the play therapist because that's the most important issue at the moment (she's supposed to help Kyoko with the hospital problem), she had her first session mid May and loved it, all they did was play, no talking about 'bad stuff', then we went in without Kyoko the following week. Basically the play theraist can't do squat, everything she'd thought of we've already tried and her only idea was a mild sedative, something to make Kyoko drowsy but still awake and also some anti-anxiety pills, she's still going to have weekly sessions with Kyoko to try and help her but she doesn't think there is much she can do short term, that it could take years to help her.

Nick meanwhile was given the all clear by the neurologist who suggested it could be migraines, prescribed amotriptelaine(think that's how it's spelt) it's an anti-depressant but supposedly it's very good for migraines (he can't have beta blockers), so far it's helped, not eliminated the symptoms but they are nowhere near as bad.

And then there is our problem TTC (we are on 2.5 years now), it's taken a bit of a back burner with all the other things going on but we've still been trying just not as upset when nothing came of it. The annoying part though is my cycle has gone really really screwy now, I'm anything between 45 and 72 days and when I do bleed (sorry way TMI) it's hardly anything and sometimes I'll bleed for a day stop for 2 then bleed again for 4/5 days but it just doesn't seem right. I know I need to get back to the GP but I just haven't had the chance we are always back and forth to hospitals with Nick, Kyoko(and also the mother in law who had her hip replaced in Feb) it's only these past couple of weeks everything has settled down a bit more.

Phew...sorry that was so long, just so much has happened.
Kanadeta senritsusae, Mou todokanai yumeno ato
Facebook

dragongirl

Post by dragongirl » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:58 pm

Thanks for sharing your stories ladies. I am a strong believer in carthatic writing and sometimes it helps so much to get it all down. I think this thread is a wonderful example of how sharing experiences can help and guide others.

Now I thing we all need a big group hug. Xx

Izzybeau

Post by Izzybeau » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:23 pm

Gosh I have cried 3 times today reading posts on this thread. You girls are an inspiration and your strength is admirable and really puts things into perspective. Thank you for sharing your stories. Love n hugs to everyone x x x

(\__/)
(='.'=) OoOoOooohhh!!!
(")_(")

Return to “Noise - General Chatter”