York Days Out. Help...

Forum rules
The' GENERAL CHAT- silly posts' thread will be locked monthly. The old thread will remain for access for a month and then be deleted. This is to remove information from storage that is old. If you need information from the locked thread please retrieve it before it is deleted.

Please be inclusive of everyone- this is an area for all members to chat and feel part of the community.

1) No trolling or posting topics with the intention of causing upset.
2) No swearing.
3) No abusive or derogatory comments about any group of people based on their look, beliefs, morals, religion, sexual orientation, gender, race, ethnicity , profession or country will be tolerated.
4) Keep 'angst' style posts to a minimum.
5) Keep topics PG13 - we don't have to be all nice and sugary, but nothing too graphic please.
6) *If you are asking where to buy something or asking where to find an item please post in Want To Buy- not here. This may also apply if you are looking for product information that will lead to indirect promotion.

(Remember you need to abide by the 50 posts/30 day rule in Want To Buy)
Beautiful.Mess

York Days Out. Help...

Post by Beautiful.Mess » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:34 pm

Me and my fella are planning a trip to york, we're after a list of museums and suchlike we can visit... ive got jorvik... any other recomendations.. doesnt have to be strictly in york...
Facebook.com/beautiful.messdreads

my_purple_skys

Re: York Days Out. Help...

Post by my_purple_skys » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:59 pm

get off the M1 at junction 38 and call at my house for tea and cakes hehe!!!

the railway museum is free and quite fun if your into that kind of thing.
" theres always something out there for you "

starlight

Post by starlight » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:02 pm

if you fancy a trip to bradford (about an hour's train ride) then the national media museum is quite good fun.. doesn't take too long to see the whole thing, plus theres imax!

<<Miss_Sami>>

Post by <<Miss_Sami>> » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:28 pm

I went to York at the start of the year for my birthday, and posted up a thread about things to do in the old HH.
Everyone was like "dont go to Yorvik its poo"
But i love Vikings so I went anyway (I'd been before but when I was little)
And as much as I love Vikings ... It is poo :P

We went to the free train museum too, and that was quite good! Better than the Yorvik center anyway!
Sam-I-Am || Flickr || Tumblr

Beautiful.Mess

Post by Beautiful.Mess » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:39 pm

my_purple_skys wrote:get off the M1 at junction 38 and call at my house for tea and cakes hehe!!!

how much does it cost to get into urs? :P

LittlePinkFaery

Post by LittlePinkFaery » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:50 pm

Yorvik is so poo! so over priced for very little!

the Castle Museum is great and Cliffords Tower is worth a look. There is also a good museum in the park, with Viking stuff in it.

The Minster is very beautiful. but really not my thing- but well worth a look.

York Dungeon is great! WAYYYY better than Yorvik!

There is more than enough to do there- have fun!

my_purple_skys

Post by my_purple_skys » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:10 pm

my_purple_skys wrote:

how much does it cost to get into urs?
a packet of biccies usually does it... :D
" theres always something out there for you "

spittingpink

Post by spittingpink » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:34 pm

Yorvik is shit! I've been twice, its rubbish!

I suggest go visit Lizzish on the riverboats! :)

Or splash out on a bus tour, I went on one in London and they really are good!

Castle Museum is rubbish too, but the Railway Museum is surprisingly good, just don't waste your money on the wheel! its just loads of roofs at the back of the train station and some roads!

The Dungeons are meant to be quite good and there are several ghost tours which are brilliant!

If you've not been before go to the Evil Eye Lounge for a drink, but don't eat there...its mean to be nice but I've seen the kitchens! as for food, depends what you but I could give you a range of nice options! :)

and if ya get bored ring me! :) hehe

LittlePinkFaery

Post by LittlePinkFaery » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:37 pm

I like the castle museum *pokes out tongue * lol! Horses for courses!

I forgot about the ghost tours, we did one- wear flat shoes! they move you round quick!

<<Miss_Sami>>

Post by <<Miss_Sami>> » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:38 pm

spittingpink wrote:If you've not been before go to the Evil Eye Lounge for a drink, but don't eat there...its mean to be nice but I've seen the kitchens!
Hmm, I ated there!
Was well yummy, though if you'da said that before I wouldnt've gone!
What is wrong with the kitchens? :?
Sam-I-Am || Flickr || Tumblr

Moody108

Post by Moody108 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:48 am

there is SO much to do in York (ok i'm biased because i lived there for 17 years and love the place!)

day time, river cruises, Castle Museum, Cliffords Tower, York Dungeons, Minster, Museum Gardens, go look at the Shambles (there's a little chocolate making shop down there) a fudge making shop on petergate, lots of little one-off shops, bar walls walk, treasurers house, shopping!

night time, there's ghost walks, during the week most bars do trebles for singles or 2 for 1 cocktails try Dusk, Little John, Stone Roses, Lowther, Speakeasy music bar (used to be Cert 18) for alt-friendly bars. river cruises at night too, lots of lovely restaurants. there is a lot to do!

don't believe anyone who says York is crap!
Never trust someone who's gonna live forever, they don't have enough to lose
Formerly known as kikky_lou

spittingpink

Post by spittingpink » Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:31 am

I've lived in York for 23 years and I'd say that its a nicer place to visit than live!

The nightlife is rubbish, rock nite in Ziggy's has stopped and I was hoping that it would improve with the opening of the Dutchess but I found out that Fibbers are planning on scrapping the rock nite and the Dutchess are doing a cheesy pop nite instead....suppose york has to many indie cindy's around.

There are good Drum and Bass nites, but no one dresses up, its all hoddies and baggy jeans and I'm more hip hop than thou!

Its nite like it used to be back in the 90's when we had Afterlife (big goth nite once a month where EVERYONE dressed up in the most amazing outfits) and Beatroots (massive D'n'B/Jungle nite) in the De Grey Rooms and the massive parties in the Arts Center (now the overpirced priory).

If I go out in York I tend to drink in Evil Eye, Dusk, occasionally Rev's and Fibbers/Dutchess. I used to hang in Cert 18 when my mate ran it but he left when it went under.

For ultimate afterhours party time in York though....You gotta hit the Willow! haha!
its a chinies on coney street with a disco and a 24hr licence, they've been done for food poisening twice but its still the best party after 2am!! :)

Beautiful.Mess

Post by Beautiful.Mess » Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:55 am

thanks for all your help ladies.. I've been doin a lot of research online and I think we're mostly gonna wing it but i have a map with the attractions on it, and i think were gonna get them york passes... to save monies. were gonna spend the night and do some more stuff the next day, coz i decided, coz i deserve a treat after this year!

Nightlife doesnt really matter coz little man will be with us but im excited about the museums and little oldy worldy shops! I'll post pics and details of where we went when we get back, for anyone that might *not* be interested... :D

Beautiful.Mess

Post by Beautiful.Mess » Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:56 am

my_purple_skys wrote:
my_purple_skys wrote:

how much does it cost to get into urs?
a packet of biccies usually does it... :D
I'll bring the biscuits if u supply the tea n cakes x

My boyfriend was like, 'we should go see the hedgehogs' lol

~*Zombie Candycane~*

Post by ~*Zombie Candycane~* » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:28 am

I like the York Dungions! i love things like that and they were great! really fun and i had a wonderful day out 3 times! lol (went during the witch trials, drackula, and dick turpin exhibitions)

I recomend it! plus you cant knock random people dressed as butches coming at you with plastic clevers while you wait in the quee! lol

Ive also seen posters and things for ghost walks and all kindas cute little shops ect..
**Zombie <^/._.\^> Kitty**

http://twitter.com/JayJayCuppycake

Beautiful.Mess

Post by Beautiful.Mess » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:23 am

~*Zombie Candycane~* wrote:I like the York Dungions! i love things like that and they were great! really fun and i had a wonderful day out 3 times! lol (went during the witch trials, drackula, and dick turpin exhibitions)

I recomend it! plus you cant knock random people dressed as butches coming at you with plastic clevers while you wait in the quee! lol

Ive also seen posters and things for ghost walks and all kindas cute little shops ect..
we wanna go to the dungeoons but ive been worried about the people coming up to u.. coz im gonna have to take the baby...

~*Zombie Candycane~*

Post by ~*Zombie Candycane~* » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:26 am

Beautiful.Mess wrote:
~*Zombie Candycane~* wrote:I like the York Dungions! i love things like that and they were great! really fun and i had a wonderful day out 3 times! lol (went during the witch trials, drackula, and dick turpin exhibitions)

we wanna go to the dungeoons but ive been worried about the people coming up to u.. coz im gonna have to take the baby...

Hmmm might not be a great idea then as their are some loud noices and some people trying to make you jump! Wouldnt want your baby to get upset! My little half brother though it was great but he was about 5 at the time.

Beautiful.Mess

Post by Beautiful.Mess » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:27 am

hes pretty good and stuff but it'll be a whole new environment... i dunno...

~*Zombie Candycane~*

Post by ~*Zombie Candycane~* » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:11 am

Beautiful.Mess wrote:hes pretty good and stuff but it'll be a whole new environment... i dunno...
I dont know hun hope if you do plan to go hes happy and doesnt get scared though! i know theres loadsa things to look at and bright things and that for him to enjoy but i wouldnt like to say "yeah go" and him getting upset! Dont want anyone jumpping out at him either! although if they see you have him they may tone it down! their pretty good with kids!

Beautiful.Mess

Post by Beautiful.Mess » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:21 pm

yeh.. well ive emailed them, if its best he doesnt go, theres tons of other stuff to do! thanks for the help :)

~*Zombie Candycane~*

Post by ~*Zombie Candycane~* » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:06 pm

Beautiful.Mess wrote:yeh.. well ive emailed them, if its best he doesnt go, theres tons of other stuff to do! thanks for the help :)
Welcome hun :D hope it all works out :D ive heard the armourys are nice if not :D

Return to “Noise - General Chatter”