Tutorial Section - Need Reviews!

Forum rules
The' GENERAL CHAT- silly posts' thread will be locked monthly. The old thread will remain for access for a month and then be deleted. This is to remove information from storage that is old. If you need information from the locked thread please retrieve it before it is deleted.

Please be inclusive of everyone- this is an area for all members to chat and feel part of the community.

1) No trolling or posting topics with the intention of causing upset.
2) No swearing.
3) No abusive or derogatory comments about any group of people based on their look, beliefs, morals, religion, sexual orientation, gender, race, ethnicity , profession or country will be tolerated.
4) Keep 'angst' style posts to a minimum.
5) Keep topics PG13 - we don't have to be all nice and sugary, but nothing too graphic please.
6) *If you are asking where to buy something or asking where to find an item please post in Want To Buy- not here. This may also apply if you are looking for product information that will lead to indirect promotion.

(Remember you need to abide by the 50 posts/30 day rule in Want To Buy)
doclocks
Site Admin

Tutorial Section - Need Reviews!

Post by doclocks » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:33 pm

Hey guys,
I have a nasty habit of revamping.
Can you please tell me your thoughts on our tutorial section?

http://www.doctoredlocks.com/store/tutorials.html

It runs in flash and is very easy for us to administer on the back end. But is there anything that you would change on the user end? Does it load too slowly? How do you like the format?

I realize I am asking for a critique, but it would be nice to hear the postive points too (unless you think there aren't any ;) )

Also, I'm not really asking for commentary on content more about function of the program. However, I'm open for suggestions on that too. ;)

Thanks bunches!!
Doc
Doctored Locks :)
Sophisticated supplies for hair extension architects.
Hair extensions, installation supplies, 300+ free DIY tutorials, classes and installations.

IKickShins

Re: Tutorial Section - Need Reviews!

Post by IKickShins » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:59 pm

I don't really like the flash format because the text is really small and any detailed descriptions of steps entail a lot of scrolling. I think it would be more user-friendly if you could view all of the text for each step at once. I also prefer tutorials that show all of the steps at once instead of having to click through because then you can print them out when you work.

Another flash issue is that you can't send people direct links to the tutorials because the link to the page only leads to the beginning of the flash thing.

I do like the way they're organized, though :)
I Kick Shins - Now stocking olive green, pistachio, & neon purple kk jumbo braid!
IKS @ Etsy - Clip-in streaks & top hats galore!
Facebook - You know the drill ;)

<<Miss_Sami>>

Post by <<Miss_Sami>> » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:12 pm

The text loads below the main flash thing, and the page loads from the top, so I didn't know the text was there at first (Which confused me lol)

I agree with the text being a bit small, and with it being in Flash you cant make it bigger like you could a text site.
I'm also finding the text you've chosen a bit hard to read when there is lots of it? (That might just be me though)

I also agree with not being able to print it off easily being a bit of a problem. Especially if your boiling dreads for the first time - you cant really use water next to a PC/Laptop and if you dont know what your doing you'll need to keep checking! Maybe a downloadable PDF or something would solve this?

I do like that you can navigate to other tuts with the little scrolling link thingy at the top though !
Sam-I-Am || Flickr || Tumblr

kezerb

Post by kezerb » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:15 pm

I don't know if this happens for anyone else but sometimes when I'm viewing a tutorial the instruction box underneath appears then closes itself

Miss Liberty

Post by Miss Liberty » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:23 pm

The pics could be a little bigger. Other than that, I liked the format. Although, I see the point about printing...

ANNloses

Post by ANNloses » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:04 pm

I like it.

The only thing I disagree with is one of your tutorials, the Crochet Tighten. that method causes problems in dreads in the future.

MissAnthropik

Post by MissAnthropik » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:34 pm

On the whole I love the tutorials, and wouldn't have thought about the things I didn't like if you hadn't asked, but...

sometimes the instructions load slower than the pictures, I thought some pictures didn't have accompanying text, then realised they did it just hadn't loaded before I moved onto the next picture

I don't like having to scroll in the text boxes
telling it like it is!

doclocks
Site Admin

Post by doclocks » Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:16 pm

That's what I was thinking too - regarding the text boxes. I'm going to email the coder that built them and see if I can't harrass him to change that. It is a bit frustrating, I agree...

Printable...see what I can do...

Anything else while we are on it?
Doctored Locks :)
Sophisticated supplies for hair extension architects.
Hair extensions, installation supplies, 300+ free DIY tutorials, classes and installations.

Return to “Noise - General Chatter”