Personality disorders - To take meds or not to take meds?

Forum rules
The' GENERAL CHAT- silly posts' thread will be locked monthly. The old thread will remain for access for a month and then be deleted. This is to remove information from storage that is old. If you need information from the locked thread please retrieve it before it is deleted.

Please be inclusive of everyone- this is an area for all members to chat and feel part of the community.

1) No trolling or posting topics with the intention of causing upset.
2) No swearing.
3) No abusive or derogatory comments about any group of people based on their look, beliefs, morals, religion, sexual orientation, gender, race, ethnicity , profession or country will be tolerated.
4) Keep 'angst' style posts to a minimum.
5) Keep topics PG13 - we don't have to be all nice and sugary, but nothing too graphic please.
6) *If you are asking where to buy something or asking where to find an item please post in Want To Buy- not here. This may also apply if you are looking for product information that will lead to indirect promotion.

(Remember you need to abide by the 50 posts/30 day rule in Want To Buy)
juustojoki

Personality disorders - To take meds or not to take meds?

Post by juustojoki » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:54 am

Hi everyone,

I did a quick search for a similar topic and came across an OCD specific one so I thought I'd just make one about general personality disorders (or mood disorders etc.).

I've been unofficially told by a couple psychiatrists that I might have borderline personality disorder and social anxiety disorder (but I guess the latter can also fit into BPD as a symptom or type of thought pattern).
I used to do drugs and have problems with alcohol, but for a few years now I haven't done anything (not even weed) other than beer, (rarely) wine and I'm a regular (cigarette) smoker. I was on different kinds of meds in the past but I quit them all.

Last summer I had a blackout at a family gathering after drinking tons, and acted like a total piece of s***, so I decided that I'd limit myself to a maximum of 4 beers at all times. This didn't work out on a few occasions since then but I've been trying.

A couple nights ago I got into an argument with my boyfriend on skype (long distance), and I went to the bar to have a couple beers and relax. A couple turned into one too many and I had apparently acted like an ecocentric, arrogant douchebag with disregard to other people's feelings and/or opinions. I absolutely hate that and I really don't think (I hope I don't!) act like that when I'm sober, even though I am quite self-absorbed and paranoid about all kinds of things. I never want that to happen again and although I'd like to trust myself and know that I won't let it happen, I'm not so sure I can. I'm thinking of taking medication again that would hopefully take the edge off, balance me out and as a bonus prevent me from consuming too much alcohol (and turning into a piece of crap). I'm worried about other unwanted side-effects, but I think I might need to do this. My boyfriend thinks I need therapy but I'm not keen on opening up all kinds of wounds on a regular basis, so I'm considering a monthly session.

Are any of you/have you been in similar situations? If so, how do you deal with them if they become detrimental to your ability to socialize normally and, more importantly, maintain healthy interpersonal relationships, and exercise self-control? Are you for or against medication, or in-between?

Cheers!
"To set your mind free, you must first just listen. Don't waste your life on worthless hate and contradiction, don't you." - Nevermore, "A future Uncertain"

brandalynn

Re: Personality disorders - To take meds or not to take meds

Post by brandalynn » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:29 pm

We went through this with a family member. The first thing I would say is the meds will be a bandaid. Bandaids don't cure. At best, it covers up. Find the source of your issues. It sounds like most of the issues stem from alcohol. Don't lull yourself into thinking a few will be ok. Work on cutting the alcohol completely. AA meetings sound terrible, but amazing things come from them. You are the only person that can take the first step. Many apologies if I am writing out of line, but I don't know a discreet, nice way to word any of it.
"Behind every great man is a woman rolling her eyes" --- bumper sticker---

ShadowThrone

Post by ShadowThrone » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:57 am

brandalynn wrote:The first thing I would say is the meds will be a bandaid. Bandaids don't cure. At best, it covers up. Find the source of your issues.
I would have to disagree, yes people can have issues from all sorts of things which don't help, but a mental illness is a mental illness, it can happen to anyone regardless, and medication is often (not always, I know some people choose to try and manage it alone) the best bet. I do agree sorting out the alcohol issues will help, meds won't do that for you. Really though, you should discuss it with a doctor :) therapy may well work for anxiety (it's helped me) Of course there are side effects with this type of medication.

juustojoki

Post by juustojoki » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:49 pm

Thanks for your feedback, guys. I partially agree with both of you. Meds are in a sense a band-aid, but definitely one that can make day to day life much more tolerable for the person and their relationships with others.
I have an appointment next Friday; I'll see how things go. Thanks again!
"To set your mind free, you must first just listen. Don't waste your life on worthless hate and contradiction, don't you." - Nevermore, "A future Uncertain"

ShadowThrone

Post by ShadowThrone » Wed May 01, 2013 5:31 am

good luck :)

rivetlicker_

Post by rivetlicker_ » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:58 pm

Without meds, my anxiety and irrational thinking would be through the roof. I have BPD myself, so I get really cranky and feel guilty almost all the time. Meds saved me.

juustojoki

Post by juustojoki » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:25 pm

Thank you.

rivetlicker, I relate completely and think that I should probably get back on meds.

Thanks again guys! Happiness for all ^^

acia lust

Post by acia lust » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:12 pm

i know this is a fairly old post, but i am going through mostly the same thing (except with self harm, not alcohol.)
my parents have been getting me to quit the meds for my bpd and anxiety because my dad thinks it's just a bandaid, and while i do see why some people would think so, i've been going to many therapists and digging through every problem i've had since birth, and i still feel like i need to take my self out from the world. the lexapro and the valium helped me get through the anxieties of the day with at least a smile and they helped. personally, i'd love to get back on those meds. i need at least SOME sanity back.

Return to “Noise - General Chatter”