Studying advice!

Forum rules
The' GENERAL CHAT- silly posts' thread will be locked monthly. The old thread will remain for access for a month and then be deleted. This is to remove information from storage that is old. If you need information from the locked thread please retrieve it before it is deleted.

Please be inclusive of everyone- this is an area for all members to chat and feel part of the community.

1) No trolling or posting topics with the intention of causing upset.
2) No swearing.
3) No abusive or derogatory comments about any group of people based on their look, beliefs, morals, religion, sexual orientation, gender, race, ethnicity , profession or country will be tolerated.
4) Keep 'angst' style posts to a minimum.
5) Keep topics PG13 - we don't have to be all nice and sugary, but nothing too graphic please.
6) *If you are asking where to buy something or asking where to find an item please post in Want To Buy- not here. This may also apply if you are looking for product information that will lead to indirect promotion.

(Remember you need to abide by the 50 posts/30 day rule in Want To Buy)
Raetron

Studying advice!

Post by Raetron » Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:23 pm

Hi, this is a bit of a random one I'm sure.

I'm a massive procrastinator when it comes to doing things that are boring but will be good for me in the long run. I'm currently studying an accredited course on my job (book editorial/production) and had a pretty bad mark for my first unit, so I'm really triyng to pull my finger out and get working, as it will do wonders for my CV (especially as I want to move out of London next year).

Is anyone on here studying (and what are you studying)? What do you do to make yourself work (and don't say stop going on the internet, my brain won't take no for an answer!)? Any hints and tips? :?

night_wolf

Re: Studying advice!

Post by night_wolf » Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:48 pm

When I was at uni ( a grand total of four months ago.) I tended to do a few things:

1. I'd tell myself if I got to a certain number of words/things I could go on the net, so for instance say I needed to do a 2000 word essay, if I did 300 words I got to play on the net.

2. I did the above, but sometimes I'd make sure a friend was writing an essay at the same time for competition, I'm quite cometitive, so if someone was writing an essay and did 500 words I wanted to be able to do 550 words to beat them.

3. Disconnect the internet, it sounds stupid, but it works, I made sure not to click the internet on my laptop to get work done, it also helped that the wireless was terrible in my last place so if I wanted to get any net stuff I had to use my desktop.

4. Go to a library/study place where there is no access to Facebook/tumblr/twitter/HEF etc, it forces you out of your comfort zone to work!

5. Treats, much the same as 1, but I found if I had food and nice drinks with me I was more willing to work, for example I love lucozade orange, if I had a massive bottle of that and wasn't hungry I'd just get on with it.

At the end of the day you just have to remember that every distraction is YOUR fault, not the person next to you, not the internet or tv etc, it's you and if you fail an essay that's your own damn fault and noone is going to care.

Determination is a wonderful thing when you do get through it all though, because it means you did it off your own back.

hairykiter

Post by hairykiter » Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:57 pm

I used to do things like limit my internet access - get a section finished, you can go on the net but only for half an hour say, then back to work.
Doing work in chunks helps, cos you get the small achievement buzz every time you do a bit :) and the reward is to walk away and have a cup of tea. So maybe do an hour on one topic, stop for a cuppa, then an hour on another topic, go for a short brisk walk, come back do a bit more.
I also think it's important to take breaks (unless you're really storming on with something and don't want to lose that train of thought) so either set a time limit/schedule or a work-amount schedule and get some fresh air in between. When I studied in the uni library, there's a cafe downstairs but you're not allowed to take your cuppa back up into the library (their rule not mine) so it's almost an enforced break. When it's busy and there's a risk of losing your study space, even just getting up and walking to the other side of the floor and having a stretch before sitting down again can be enough of a boost.

I got through uni by making lists and I know at least one of my lecturers gets through life that way :D

Raetron

Post by Raetron » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:40 am

Thanks guys!

I think what I might start doing is going to the library, as its a home study course so I have all the home-y distractions. The only problem with the internet thing is I have to research things in articles to check if they're correct, true or a real name, that kind of thing, but I suppose if I just mark it on paper and make a note of it I could do all the internet stuff in one lump after I've done the basics of the work.
5. Treats, much the same as 1, but I found if I had food and nice drinks with me I was more willing to work, for example I love lucozade orange, if I had a massive bottle of that and wasn't hungry I'd just get on with it.
Lol, I would have loved treats but until today I had no money for food for the last 3 weeks so I've been living off rice. And I work full time! Think I'm worse off than a real student haha!

Also - I did 5 hours of work on Saturday, which equates to about 1 exercise and 3/4 of the other (the latter was really difficult, extract from a book with absolutely no punctuation in, so it needs a few more reads before I move on)...but anyway = YAY!

Miss Liberty

Post by Miss Liberty » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:30 pm

I do almost ALL of my academic reading on the cardio machines at my gym. It makes the time go faster, and I have to read it one way or another, might as well read it while burning calories too. Two birds, one stone there.

I also imposed on myself the idea that if I worked hard and got my stuff done throughout the week I did not have to touch a school related thing on the weekends. For me that was a GIANT incentive and I would myself really buckling down during the week.

Lilinth

Post by Lilinth » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:09 pm

when you go to the library use a computer room and not your laptop (if theres space) and take notes by hand when you're looking at articles. having all that paper in front of you makes
a) using the keyboard a bit of a pest
b) its hard to have much fun in a computer room as almost everyone else can stroll along and watch what you're doing. even if its just checking your emails the lack of privacy might be suitably offputting.
worked for me, just finished my MA in Medieval History
/emmy x

Raetron

Post by Raetron » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:56 pm

just finished my MA in Medieval History
Really? English history I'm presuming? War of the Roses is my favourite period of history ever!! (Richard III, <3)

I discovered Starbucks in St. Pancras is open 24 hours...that will get me into a new environment where at night there won't be very many distractions (or a closing time), and provided there's a table for my huge dictionary it should be ok. I'm going to try it out on Thursday. After Saturday's blitz I'm definitely feeling more positive about studying. :)

Return to “Noise - General Chatter”