Stuck in a style rut & need inspiration!

Forum rules
The' GENERAL CHAT- silly posts' thread will be locked monthly. The old thread will remain for access for a month and then be deleted. This is to remove information from storage that is old. If you need information from the locked thread please retrieve it before it is deleted.

Please be inclusive of everyone- this is an area for all members to chat and feel part of the community.

1) No trolling or posting topics with the intention of causing upset.
2) No swearing.
3) No abusive or derogatory comments about any group of people based on their look, beliefs, morals, religion, sexual orientation, gender, race, ethnicity , profession or country will be tolerated.
4) Keep 'angst' style posts to a minimum.
5) Keep topics PG13 - we don't have to be all nice and sugary, but nothing too graphic please.
6) *If you are asking where to buy something or asking where to find an item please post in Want To Buy- not here. This may also apply if you are looking for product information that will lead to indirect promotion.

(Remember you need to abide by the 50 posts/30 day rule in Want To Buy)
KelsieStars

Stuck in a style rut & need inspiration!

Post by KelsieStars » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:13 am

Hey all

I am stuck in a bit of a jeans & t-shirt rut and need a little inspiration/advice. I've been told I'm joining some work-mates for a night out on Thursday.....these aren't people I usually go out with & my casual style is going to make me feel a little uncomfortable compared to them (I know I shouldn't care, and usually I wouldn't - but for some reason I really am bothered this time. I think it's because they're all gorgeous, toned, pretty girls & I'm the complete opposite!).

My other problem is I don't really know how to "dress-up" for my size. I take an 18/20 and am quite 'tree-trunk' looking! My jellybelly is my biggest bugbare and I have trouble finding dresses especially.

Do any of you have any advice for dressing a larger frame/hiding the jellybelly? Or could perhaps point me in the direction of clothes that might work? I'm going googled-eyed from looking at clothes websites!

Any help is massively appreciated!!

MrsEss

Re: Stuck in a style rut & need inspiration!

Post by MrsEss » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:42 am

You're gonna want something that skims/accentuates parts that you like & floats over the parts that you don't. What about a maxi dress?

Oh & for the record, I've met you & you're a lovely shape/size.

Random maxi dress links:
http://www.asos.com/ASOS/ASOS-Racer-Bac ... Search&r=2

I personally think this is GORGEOUS & would look wonderful against your pale skin: http://www.next.co.uk/x48184s1?utm_sour ... #986162x48

I'm not sure what your budget is. I had a quick nose at tops too:
This is really funky: http://www.evans.co.uk/webapp/wcs/store ... s=category~
the studded sleeves are awesome (well, I think they are) plus the sheer sleeve covers your arms, but you can still see a little skin.

And this is quite pretty too: http://www.evans.co.uk/webapp/wcs/store ... s=category~
The detail at the top would draw the eye to there rather than your stomach.
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Socially awkward since 1982
Decimation Fashion
Tumblr
Formerly known as DreadstarMonstar

KelsieStars

Post by KelsieStars » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:15 am

DreadstarMonstar wrote:
Oh & for the record, I've met you & you're a lovely shape/size.
:oops: Thank you hun, that's sweet of you to say

DreadstarMonstar wrote:
I personally think this is GORGEOUS & would look wonderful against your pale skin: http://www.next.co.uk/x48184s1?utm_sour ... #986162x48
I love this dress! I'm popping in to town tomorrow so I shall go in and try it on (fingers crossed they have it in stock!) The other things you've linked to are great too - I looked on Evan's site but completely missed those tops.

Thanks for the advice & having a look online for me - it's much appreciated!

sally

Post by sally » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:13 pm

Have you ever worn a corset before? If you "like" Corsets UK on facebook, they do something called Corset of the Day where you can pick up a proper steel boned corset for around about £30. Sure, my boobs are so ridiculous that I can't wear them on their own, so I wear a bra and vest top underneath, and most importantly my tummy is hidden and forced into a nice shape. Wearing corsets takes a bit of getting used to, but once you are used to them, they're really comfy!

(Not affiliated with Corsets UK btw, just impressed with the quality of the merch, especially for that price! :))

Miss Liberty

Post by Miss Liberty » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:15 pm

Things with slightly higher waists that flow out into an A-line are very flattering on most women, especially those with some curves. They accent the narrowest part of the body and then pull away from the frame. Something Maybe like this:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_27IC4It23h0/T ... ails+1.JPG

Lady J

Post by Lady J » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:42 pm

DreadstarMonstar wrote:I personally think this is GORGEOUS & would look wonderful against your pale skin: http://www.next.co.uk/x48184s1?utm_sour ... #986162x48
Wow, that really is fabulous.
Fixing problems with your hair, alopecia and others.

KelsieStars

Post by KelsieStars » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:34 am

sally wrote:Have you ever worn a corset before? If you "like" Corsets UK on facebook, they do something called Corset of the Day where you can pick up a proper steel boned corset for around about £30. Sure, my boobs are so ridiculous that I can't wear them on their own, so I wear a bra and vest top underneath, and most importantly my tummy is hidden and forced into a nice shape. Wearing corsets takes a bit of getting used to, but once you are used to them, they're really comfy!

(Not affiliated with Corsets UK btw, just impressed with the quality of the merch, especially for that price! :))
I have got a couple of corsets which I love to wear - I also share the 'ridiculous boobs' problem!!! I do love the figure they give me.....one day I hope to keep the figure when then corset comes off!! *pops off to break out fitness dvd!*

Thanks for your help m'lovely.

Miss Liberty wrote:Things with slightly higher waists that flow out into an A-line are very flattering on most women, especially those with some curves. They accent the narrowest part of the body and then pull away from the frame. Something Maybe like this:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_27IC4It23h0/T ... ails+1.JPG

That dress is very cute! I tried on a few in that style when I popped off shopping last week - they were very flattering over my jellybelly! Thanks for your help too.

night_wolf

Post by night_wolf » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:05 pm

I'd say you can also if you're not feeling up to dresses at any particular point, try out jeans again.

Skinny jeans can and do look great on anyone at any size, it's just about finding the right ones, with a nice top and a little jacket.

I know at the moment asos has a new range: curvy and some of it is lovely, I've been drooling over it myself, some of the dresses are great because the models are about 14+ I think? Which means you can tell more so how it might look when you're not a size 8!

Also with winter, that dress would look great with a long coat about knee length.

Inspiration wise I get a lot of it from tumblr, there's some really good curvy fashion blogs on it (fuckyeahchubbyfashion, curveappeal.) It might be cool to look through those, I've been ina bit of a rut myself as I'm much more a winter girl than a summer one (I like layering my clothing.) and they provide links to some lovely stuff too. :)

/waffle.

KelsieStars

Post by KelsieStars » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:33 am

Thanks night_wolf - I shall check out asos and those tumblr blogs :)

I am much more of a winter girl too - I feel a lot more comfortable in jumpers etc. I hate getting my arms out in the summer. I think I need to get the balls to be a bit more adventurous, I never used to give a frig what people may or may not think about what I am wearing - but in the last few months I've become really self-conscious. I need to snap out of it!!

Myz_Succubus

Post by Myz_Succubus » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:28 am

How about jeans and a nice empire waisted top, paired with a nice cotton long sleeved shrug, so if you don't like your arms or prefer them covered up you can do so without hiding the top? Just a suggestion, I'm sure you'll look marvelous whatever you wear xxx

Return to “Noise - General Chatter”