top coat for polymer/fimo clay

Forum rules
The' GENERAL CHAT- silly posts' thread will be locked monthly. The old thread will remain for access for a month and then be deleted. This is to remove information from storage that is old. If you need information from the locked thread please retrieve it before it is deleted.

Please be inclusive of everyone- this is an area for all members to chat and feel part of the community.

1) No trolling or posting topics with the intention of causing upset.
2) No swearing.
3) No abusive or derogatory comments about any group of people based on their look, beliefs, morals, religion, sexual orientation, gender, race, ethnicity , profession or country will be tolerated.
4) Keep 'angst' style posts to a minimum.
5) Keep topics PG13 - we don't have to be all nice and sugary, but nothing too graphic please.
6) *If you are asking where to buy something or asking where to find an item please post in Want To Buy- not here. This may also apply if you are looking for product information that will lead to indirect promotion.

(Remember you need to abide by the 50 posts/30 day rule in Want To Buy)
Miss Liberty

top coat for polymer/fimo clay

Post by Miss Liberty » Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:35 pm

Hey all! I have some projects I want to attempt this weekend that involve polymer clay. I have been pretty inspired lately and have had a couple of ideas bouncing around in my head. I'll want that slick glossy coat on the finished product and wanted to know what you all use? Is it a spray or a liquid you paint on? Can I get it in the craft stores?

I am hitting Joann's after work today and would love to get all the supplies at once.

Thanks!

rivetlicker_

Re: top coat for polymer/fimo clay

Post by rivetlicker_ » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:03 pm

I believe some use clear nail polish!

poxabomination

Post by poxabomination » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:53 pm

They do have an actual gloss made specifically for polymer clay use.. I had some.. and then I lost it.. oops. It wasn't expensive though, like $5 ish from what I remember. I never got to use it :( But it does exist!

It says its recognized by the state of california to cause birth defects or something to that effect though. Don't eat it :lol:
"Distant beavers sound the alarm"

"Its not stylish if you look witty."

Katedra-Obscura

Post by Katedra-Obscura » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:54 pm

I use fimo's own brand of glaze, in my craft store they have an orange, blue and black, the black lid is the best, I dunno what the difference is the blue is always tacky for me!?
Lakisha
Implexus Hair Modification : http://www.implexus.co.uk
Morbid * Nostri * Obscura * Nocti * Esoteric
Now on Tumblr http://occultobscura.tumblr.com/

iamdolleyes

Post by iamdolleyes » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:21 pm

krylon crystal clear is one of the most beautiful shiny sprays out there IMO, its available in places like walmart, and craft stores too. walmart is usually cheaper. They make other finishes as well, regular gloss (the crystal clear stuff is like..polished glass? its really really shiny) and even a matte I believe

anyway, some finishes can tend to yellow (usually non water based finishes) and i think krylon is anti-yellowing and pretty cheap and easy to use (spraycan, not brush on)
i like my coffee black
just like my metal

Return to “Noise - General Chatter”