Purina/Friskies pet food contamination

Forum rules
The' GENERAL CHAT- silly posts' thread will be locked monthly. The old thread will remain for access for a month and then be deleted. This is to remove information from storage that is old. If you need information from the locked thread please retrieve it before it is deleted.

Please be inclusive of everyone- this is an area for all members to chat and feel part of the community.

1) No trolling or posting topics with the intention of causing upset.
2) No swearing.
3) No abusive or derogatory comments about any group of people based on their look, beliefs, morals, religion, sexual orientation, gender, race, ethnicity , profession or country will be tolerated.
4) Keep 'angst' style posts to a minimum.
5) Keep topics PG13 - we don't have to be all nice and sugary, but nothing too graphic please.
6) *If you are asking where to buy something or asking where to find an item please post in Want To Buy- not here. This may also apply if you are looking for product information that will lead to indirect promotion.

(Remember you need to abide by the 50 posts/30 day rule in Want To Buy)
starlotus

Purina/Friskies pet food contamination

Post by starlotus » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:55 pm

Just posted this to FB but I know there's a lot of kittycat/furry animal lovers here so I wanted to share on the forum as well. Sorry for not posting in the Cat Lady thread, but I thought it was important and didn't want it to get buried in there:

Purina has currently issued a recall for a limited number of bags of pet food that were only shipped to midwest states due to salmonella contamination. However, I just opened a bag of Friskies Indoor Delights dry cat food and there was black stuff clumped all over the food and inside of the bag. I don't know what it was but it appeared to be some kind of disgusting mold, and I was nauseous for a few minutes just from breathing in the dust that rose up from the bag. I discarded the food immediately and have sent an email to the company that they should expand their recall investigation to other states and varieties of food, but until I hear back I would recommend against anyone using Purina pet foods, which includes Friskies cat food among others. I am assuming all of their food is processed in the same facility, so if one bag is contaminated, chances are many bags/cans of food are contaminated as well. Lucy and Skye did eat some meals out of that bag (the black stuff was not on the top layers of food and I didn't notice it until now) and they appear to be okay, but I will be watching them closely for the next few days. Keep your furry friends safe! Will update when/if I hear back from Purina.

I know I've been gone from this board for nearly a year, so apologies again for my first post back being totally random and non-hair-related.

poxabomination

Re: Purina/Friskies pet food contamination

Post by poxabomination » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:26 am

thanks, I'm sure it'll be appreciated! :) I don't trust big brand pet foods at all! Scary stuff.
"Distant beavers sound the alarm"

"Its not stylish if you look witty."

Return to “Noise - General Chatter”