1 in 3 women never leave the house without make up on

Forum rules
The' GENERAL CHAT- silly posts' thread will be locked monthly. The old thread will remain for access for a month and then be deleted. This is to remove information from storage that is old. If you need information from the locked thread please retrieve it before it is deleted.

Please be inclusive of everyone- this is an area for all members to chat and feel part of the community.

1) No trolling or posting topics with the intention of causing upset.
2) No swearing.
3) No abusive or derogatory comments about any group of people based on their look, beliefs, morals, religion, sexual orientation, gender, race, ethnicity , profession or country will be tolerated.
4) Keep 'angst' style posts to a minimum.
5) Keep topics PG13 - we don't have to be all nice and sugary, but nothing too graphic please.
6) *If you are asking where to buy something or asking where to find an item please post in Want To Buy- not here. This may also apply if you are looking for product information that will lead to indirect promotion.

(Remember you need to abide by the 50 posts/30 day rule in Want To Buy)
manchee

1 in 3 women never leave the house without make up on

Post by manchee » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:15 pm

So apparently 1 in 3 women never leave the house without make up on. Ive gotta admit, I am def that one in three. I have to wear eyeliner and foundation, I feel naked without them. I think the only time Ive left the house without wearing them in the last 10 years was around when my Dad had gotten to the end of his illness and when he passed away (not much point wearing it when its just gonna be cried off :roll: )

Anyway, how do you feel about make up? Is it a necessity for you - what do you have to wear?

thecutealternative

Re: 1 in 3 women never leave the house without make up on

Post by thecutealternative » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:22 pm

I started wearing make-up relatively late on compared to my friends, about 14 I think, but from then on I wouldn't contemplate leaving my house without it, that lasted until I was around 20, I stopped going out as much, and settled down and now I rarely wear make up, and If I do it's usually 'cat eyes' eyeliner, some mascara and lip gloss. I mainly wear it on a saturday if we are going out for the day or something, but that's about once a month perhaps.

I love make up, but I guess other things just get in the way of me doing it every morning. Also I do not miss the panda eyes for two days after, even though I washed it off the night I put it on. It still manages to give me panda eyes!

Bomber

Post by Bomber » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:32 pm

I very rarely go out without make up and it's nothing to do with insecurity or vanity like it's always assumed. To me, make up is an extension of my outfit, I personally wouldn't make a massive effort over what I wore a certain day and then do nothing with my hair or make up. I think that partly comes from being inspired by 1930s-1960s women who always looked flawless regardless, and because I can actually get a disciplinary at work if I don't "make an effort".

My regular make up is concealer, foundation, powder, blush, at least two colours of eyeshadow, eyeliner, mascara and my eyebrows. My skin is pretty decent so when I really can't be bothered for work I'll just put some powder, mascara and my brows on. I'll very rarely go out without my brows on because I hate my natural brows.

I won't spend ages getting ready if I'm just going to the supermarket or anything though.

Vicsarina

Post by Vicsarina » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:35 pm

For me, make up is too much hassle. I may do it for special occasions but even then I often feel like a clown with it on. My only exception is lip balm. Whether you class that as make up or not, depends on whether I am that one in three. I just cannot go without lip balm as I often get really dry lips.
*Rule Obsessor*

corpseesproc

Post by corpseesproc » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:55 pm

How many in three never remember to wear it?
Lol I'm slack and usually forget which is a good thing as when I do wear it I tend to get carried away and look like I've lost a fight with a clown :(
http://www.etsy.com/shop/BubbleFusion
Bubble Fusion has an etsy!

ShadowThrone

Post by ShadowThrone » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:01 pm

I wear make up most days. The full works if I'm going out somewhere,night or day. If I'm slobbing at home I won't wear any. If its just to go to the shop/ a walk I'll just fill in my brows, mascara, concealer and powder and a bit of eyeliner and lip balm.
Bomber wrote:I very rarely go out without make up and it's nothing to do with insecurity or vanity like it's always assumed. To me, make up is an extension of my outfit, I personally wouldn't make a massive effort over what I wore a certain day and then do nothing with my hair or make up.
This is pretty much how I feel about it.

I love make-up, I have boxes of it :lol:

somekindafreak

Post by somekindafreak » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:14 pm

I wear it most days normally foundation, blush,silver eyeshadow, eyeliner and mascara or just the last two if I have woke up late and have to get out for school run! If im going out somewhere at the weekend day/night I make more of an effort and wear more :)
Indecisive army FTW

"So raise your glass if you are wrong in all the right ways..."

hairykiter

Post by hairykiter » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:37 pm

Vicsarina wrote:For me, make up is too much hassle. I may do it for special occasions but even then I often feel like a clown with it on. My only exception is lip balm. Whether you class that as make up or not, depends on whether I am that one in three. I just cannot go without lip balm as I often get really dry lips.
This, pretty much. I don't currently own any make-up and haven't for years. I never took the time to learn how to use it properly when I was a wee teenager so I'd feel like an idiot trying now.

zaea

Post by zaea » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:04 pm

My foundation is also my sunscreen so I try to wear it whenever I go outside.

I'm missing half an eyebrow naturally so if I didn't fill it in and make them even I'd look like I'd lost a bet or passed out at a party...>>

Gracey

Post by Gracey » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:41 pm

I own a fair bit of make up and love make up on other people but rarely wear much myself. At most it is powder, mascara and eye-liner, whether I'm going somewhere special or not.

If I wear it on a normal day at work or elsewhere, it's because I have five minutes spare where I can justify it. I have absolutely no problem going anywhere at all without a scrap of make up on, but I wouldn't say that is because I'm more confident than anyone else or any better looking. In my twenties I would always wear a little bit of make up but these days, more often than not, I can't be arsed.
What, that? It's a spade.

Gracey xx
Formerly known as Woolhairhabbit

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:10 pm

Nah, I'm not one of the one in three.

I used to wear it for work & spend at least 40 minutes on my face if I'm going out. However at the minute I spend most days inside & I honestly can't see the point.
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Socially awkward since 1982
Decimation Fashion
Tumblr
Formerly known as DreadstarMonstar

space_waste

Post by space_waste » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:20 pm

I shave my eyebrows off so I look weird if I don't wear makeup, but I'm not that bothered about going outside without them drawn back in if I'm just nipping out.
I must admit though, I had laser eye surgery 2 weeks ago & I wasn't allowed to wear eyeliner for 7 days. I kind of suffered with that, since eyeliner is the only makeup I use on a day-to-day basis. I did find myself wearing sunglasses to hide my makeup-less eyes even after I wasn't light-sensitive any more. It was like I got a bit of my face back when those 7 days were up & I got to wear eyeliner again :lol:

Miss Cydonia

Post by Miss Cydonia » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:17 pm

i dont wear makeup every day. i always wear it for a night out, or if im up to it- ill make an effort at the weekend, but for work or just nipping out for somat-i just cant be bothered. To me, it seems like a waste of time and makeup! If I wore it every day for work Id have to spend 15-30 mins on it, I get to work and no one really cares, then I get home and have to spend time and material removing it all. What have I gained....not a lot. Like I say- I dont think I nor anyone else would think of me differently if I wore makeup everyday or not. So I dont bother. But mostly- its just cos Im lazy

"the strength of us all could demolish a wall-
but you chose to walk through the door"

*Miss Cydonia-Muse fan since 1999 (keeper of the Arpeggios)*

<<Miss_Sami>>

Post by <<Miss_Sami>> » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:52 pm

I don't think I even started to wear make up at all until I was 16 - I was a bit of a tom boy.
I only put it on if I'm going out, but then I do the full works.
I enjoy wearing make up, just can't see the point in putting it on to go to work. Though one of the kids did say to me the other day "Your not wearing any make up? I can't believe that, most people look like a turd when they're not wearing make up".
Which was a compliment... I think :lol:
Sam-I-Am || Flickr || Tumblr

manchee

Post by manchee » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:36 pm

<<Miss_Sami>> wrote: Though one of the kids did say to me the other day "Your not wearing any make up? I can't believe that, most people look like a turd when they're not wearing make up".
Aww thats quite sweet :lol:

I have to wear eyeliner, Ive been wearing so long now I think I look weird when I havent got it on, like my eyes seem really tiny. I went round a friends house a while ago and when I arrived he said "wow you look really stoned!" umm its cos I dont have eyeliner on..? lol

poxabomination

Post by poxabomination » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:17 pm

I like wearing makeup whenever I go out, but like it was said already, its not because I'm vain or I feel like I "need" it to look attractive. I like the "extension of my outfit" idea, I just don't feel like me without doing some kind of fun makeup. If I feel like my outfit is effing awesome, I want effing awesome makeup to go with it! Plus, its really calming- almost therapeutic- to put makeup on, at least for me. This doesn't mean I WON'T go out without it; if I'm really tired I'll just be like "fuck it" and go out, and if I'm running late I won't jeopardize my plans just because I need to "put my face on" :lol:

Someting I've been thinking about for a long time is that makeup is an art form to me, and it seems like a dying one around here. No one seems to wear or even understand makeup at all unless its eyeliner and mascara, and its like a bitter sweet kind of thing. Hooray for womens rights, and feeling confident in your own skin and all that, I really mean it, but I do get a little.. I dunno, I guess sad, when girls my age and older don't know that makeup can be put on with brushes and they don't know what liquid liner is and stuff like that. I dunno! :lol: Its just such a beautiful art form and people don't treat it as such where I live, they just put on foundation and eyeliner because everyone else does it and they don't really think about why they're doing it or get creative at all. Its a finicky art too, some girls are naturally gorgeous and they mess it all up becuase they think they 'need' heavy foundation to look pretty. I hope this whole paragraph didn't sound weird or mean or negative at all because it wasn't meant to be, its just stuff I've thought about for a while and its hard to express and explain. I guess its just an odd thought to me that something thats an art form that I practise, and take time doing, and am proud of (even if I'm not that great at it ;) ) is just a routine for someone else and they don't even think about it as something they can practice or get better at or get creative with.
"Distant beavers sound the alarm"

"Its not stylish if you look witty."

night_wolf

Post by night_wolf » Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:39 pm

<<Miss_Sami>> wrote:I don't think I even started to wear make up at all until I was 16 - I was a bit of a tom boy.
I only put it on if I'm going out, but then I do the full works.
I enjoy wearing make up, just can't see the point in putting it on to go to work. Though one of the kids did say to me the other day "Your not wearing any make up? I can't believe that, most people look like a turd when they're not wearing make up".
I'm much the same, I don't think I've ever worn foundation to boot either.

I spent most of my younger teens very spotty, as I imagine quite a few people do, after not wearing make-up for that period of time, whenever I get the odd spot now (I use the pill and eventually they faded at about 16/17) I'm not fussed. I'll wear a bit of powder if I'm particularly red-face and eye make-up for going out dancing, but otherwise I don't tend to bother.

That's not to say I don't mind about those who do wear make-up, not everyone uses make-up as a form to cover up, it's like picking out clothes, make-up is an extension of that, one I just never really picked up properly.

foximusprime

Post by foximusprime » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:29 am

I have makeup on nearly every time i leave the house, even to go to the shop for some milk! If i'm not going anywhere special where i'll run into people i know then i won't wear much (brows, blush, concealer eyemakeup) If i'm off on a night out, going shopping or to dinner with my mam then i'll wear the full lot.
I have oodles of makeup (mostly mac so you can imagine how much i've spent in the past) Some days i feel a bit prettier with some slap on, i have quiet dark circles under my eyes, random breakouts and a small scar above my lip so wearing concealer is a must most days. Not many people have seen me without makeup and i feel for those that have!
blah blah blah

[Phexxie]

Post by [Phexxie] » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:26 am

i physically cant leave the house with absolutely no makeup... i would be eyebrow-less :lol:

but its definitely an image thing for me, i feel like i dont look like myself without it
not unnattractive, just not me if that makes any sense at all!

i feel pretty strange if i do anything other than big, black deathrock eyes too, though i do obey the rules of shadow blending and its never 'completely' black, theres always some white in the corners for the wide-eyed look and a little splash of colour somewhere to break it up
i dont wear foundation, ever, not even on photoshoots
this is because i still havent found my perfect shade and most foundation makes my skin look like im the bastard child of a snake and a dragon with psoriasis, regardless if i exfoliate/moisturise or not :(

and it has to be PERFECT
i think i have a touch of OCD when it comes to my makeup.... :?

tokyovogue

Post by tokyovogue » Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:40 pm

I'm one of those girls who owns a LOT of make up but never has the time to wear it all. I only ever wear it on nights out/ special occasion and when I'm working the most i manage in the morning is mascara/blush and lip balm.

I have tried so many times to clear out my make up since i hardly wear it but i just can't let go just in case i need it! :roll:

manchee

Post by manchee » Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:47 pm

tokyovogue wrote:I'm one of those girls who owns a LOT of make up but never has the time to wear it all. I only ever wear it on nights out/ special occasion and when I'm working the most i manage in the morning is mascara/blush and lip balm.

I have tried so many times to clear out my make up since i hardly wear it but i just can't let go just in case i need it! :roll:
Heh Im the opposite, I wear make up everyday, but all I own is a mascara, a foundation, a liquid eyeliner and 2 eyeshadow colours

tokyovogue

Post by tokyovogue » Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:53 pm

I wish that's all i owned! I have a habit of buying bright colours but then stick to the same neutrals as always! I really do need a clear out soon though to force myself to part with some of it :(

Bomber

Post by Bomber » Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:05 pm

nah, just wear it more often, rather than chuck it all out.

trippytroll

Post by trippytroll » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:56 pm

i dont wear it all that often, i dont go anywhere so no point. but i sometimes out it on just for round the house just to make me feel a bit better if im feeling shitty or whatever.
i own absolutely stacks of it and i dont wear it aall, but couldnt part with it, i love buying it too knowing full dam well i wont wear it!
sophie
otherwise known as...
moomin love
TwIsTeD TaT
trippytroll
sale stuff here, make offers
http://trippytroll.livejournal.com/66563.html#cutid1

K.O.

Post by K.O. » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:52 am

There are times when I feel like getting all decked out. But honestly sometimes makeup scares me. I have no idea how to use foundation or concealer... even though it would probably be beneficial to my appearance if I did learn. And I have always been wanting to do something with my eyebrows, preferably starting to line them on, seeing as though I can never tame them. But for some reason it scares me to try to do those things. I admire those who can devote the time to completely make themselves up every day though. It must definitely help the confidence levels by oodles.
Kitten A.K.A
Kristin Okopski

Return to “Noise - General Chatter”