Etsy advice

Forum rules
The' GENERAL CHAT- silly posts' thread will be locked monthly. The old thread will remain for access for a month and then be deleted. This is to remove information from storage that is old. If you need information from the locked thread please retrieve it before it is deleted.

Please be inclusive of everyone- this is an area for all members to chat and feel part of the community.

1) No trolling or posting topics with the intention of causing upset.
2) No swearing.
3) No abusive or derogatory comments about any group of people based on their look, beliefs, morals, religion, sexual orientation, gender, race, ethnicity , profession or country will be tolerated.
4) Keep 'angst' style posts to a minimum.
5) Keep topics PG13 - we don't have to be all nice and sugary, but nothing too graphic please.
6) *If you are asking where to buy something or asking where to find an item please post in Want To Buy- not here. This may also apply if you are looking for product information that will lead to indirect promotion.

(Remember you need to abide by the 50 posts/30 day rule in Want To Buy)
Librarynerd

Etsy advice

Post by Librarynerd » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:51 pm

I recently opened an Etsy shop selling dreads. Things are going well, I sold all my premade accent kits and have an order for a full kit!
I know many folks here have Etsy shops and I'm wondering if you have any advice or warnings on using Etsy.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/jeanween23

XXXX I used to be disgusted. Now I try to be amused. XXXX

IKickShins

Re: Etsy advice

Post by IKickShins » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:14 pm

Don't send free samples to people who convo you and claim to be "make-up gurus" or "reviewers" or whatever. Most of the time they have little to no readership/viewership and are just trying to get free stuff.

Make sure to fill out the "policies" section of your shop.

Crop your images to 1000x1000 (or larger, but still square) and center the item horizontally. The size is good for the zoom feature, and the shape/layout will allow for the best thumbnail images -- the way listings come up in list view shows square images and gallery view is rectangular and centered. The gallery view is also the way the images are displayed in treasuries.
I Kick Shins - Now stocking olive green, pistachio, & neon purple kk jumbo braid!
IKS @ Etsy - Clip-in streaks & top hats galore!
Facebook - You know the drill ;)

..::AtomicLox::..

Post by ..::AtomicLox::.. » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:27 am

I can't think straight enough to come up with anything off the top of my head, but if you're wondering about anything specific you're always welcome to ask!
The mind and hands behind Imp And Petal dreads!

http://www.impandpetal.etsy.com
http://www.facebook.com/ImpAndPetal

rivetlicker_

Post by rivetlicker_ » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:16 am

I need more exposure on the cheap! Anybody got advice?

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:58 am

Thanks for the heads up about policies Sarah. I was unaware of them, so have just been & updated mine.
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Socially awkward since 1982
Decimation Fashion
Tumblr
Formerly known as DreadstarMonstar

twigletstar

Post by twigletstar » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:12 am

I've had a fair amount of exposure from treasuries - if you make a couple that are themed to things related to your shop then more people will visit your shop, and may possibly even return the favour and make a treasury featuring your item. I also favourite similar things from other shops. People are curious as to who likes what and if they've found one listing they like, they'll see who else likes it and perhaps come across your page quicker.

Take good pictures. Anything that pops out from the page when thumbnailed will make you stand out from all the similar listings that you might get lost in. There are SO MANY dreads on Etsy, having a good picture and description will really help you out.

Librarynerd

Post by Librarynerd » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:46 pm

Something I've learned from working in libraryland is use as many tags as they will let you. I don't think the Etsy tags are wildcarded so you I use every permutation of the keywords. for example, "synth dreads" "synthetic dreads""dreads" "dreadlocks""synthetic dreadlocks"
It seems that the Etsy search engine is searching tags and item title keywords so really pack key words into every item title, also include your shop name in each title, makes your shop much easier to find.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/jeanween23

XXXX I used to be disgusted. Now I try to be amused. XXXX

Return to “Noise - General Chatter”