Thank you!

Forum rules
The' GENERAL CHAT- silly posts' thread will be locked monthly. The old thread will remain for access for a month and then be deleted. This is to remove information from storage that is old. If you need information from the locked thread please retrieve it before it is deleted.

Please be inclusive of everyone- this is an area for all members to chat and feel part of the community.

1) No trolling or posting topics with the intention of causing upset.
2) No swearing.
3) No abusive or derogatory comments about any group of people based on their look, beliefs, morals, religion, sexual orientation, gender, race, ethnicity , profession or country will be tolerated.
4) Keep 'angst' style posts to a minimum.
5) Keep topics PG13 - we don't have to be all nice and sugary, but nothing too graphic please.
6) *If you are asking where to buy something or asking where to find an item please post in Want To Buy- not here. This may also apply if you are looking for product information that will lead to indirect promotion.

(Remember you need to abide by the 50 posts/30 day rule in Want To Buy)
madebs666

Thank you!

Post by madebs666 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:19 pm

So, I've finally registered as self employed and am in the middle of sorting out my finances before I can finally quit the day job to do hair extensions (and piano teaching but I'm not filling out two tax forms! they can take it all as one dammit).

The intricacies are yet to be sorted out, and everything is very much up in the air, but I think the important thing is I've made the decision, and am actually doing something about it. I know a lot of people think about doing it, but as the advisor from business link says, it's actually doing it that can make it very real possibility.

And you know what? It's all thanks to you guys. In the two years since I joined this forum, I have learned so much from it's pages. I've used tutorials, asked questions and received a lot of useful advice. Yes there has been a lot of personal trial and error and although I'm a terrible lurker, when possible I've tried to pass on what I have learned too. I recently read through the input of people like Woolhairhabit and others who have been successful in running their own businesses and that has been a great help.

I have been wondering recently if I had not clicked on the first link to come here (I wanted some dreadlocks for a festival and someone suggested having a look here) where would I be now? but it's thanks to everything I've learned here, the inspiration I've received from others work and the interest it sparked in me to do further research that has gotten me to this stage now.

So thank you all :D

PS - You won't have seen me much in the show-off thread as the bread and butter of my business comes from human hair extensions, and there is a limit to how much 16" black and 22" blonde extensions I'd expect people with more exciting tastes to be interested it tbh!

Librarynerd

Re: Thank you!

Post by Librarynerd » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:41 pm

Amen! I fell exactly the same way. The willingness of members to share their knowledge is a wonderful thing about this forum. Folks could be guarding their secrets to keep others out of the business, but when everyone shares everyone is better for it. Helping folks make quality dreads helps increase the market as a whole. If lots of sellers are making crap dreads then potential customer with be turned off by the whole synth dread thing and that hurts all dread makers.

I heartily second your thank you.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/jeanween23

XXXX I used to be disgusted. Now I try to be amused. XXXX

Gracey

Re: Thank you!

Post by Gracey » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:30 am

Oh how exciting. Well done and best of luck with your venture.

Also, thanks so much for the mention. I remember being where you are now and how scary/ exciting the whole thing was. Keep hold of that humble, helpful attitude and you will go a long way. Also, when you are up and running, please forward your site details etc to me. I do get a high level of enquiries from all over the north and beyond and i would be more than happy to pass some of the ones in your locality along to you.

I think a lot of us owe our livelihoods and more to this community and those from which it evolved and it's great to see it continuing to change peoples' lives so positively.
What, that? It's a spade.

Gracey xx
Formerly known as Woolhairhabbit

Return to “Noise - General Chatter”