urgent hiccup help, totally serious

Forum rules
The' GENERAL CHAT- silly posts' thread will be locked monthly. The old thread will remain for access for a month and then be deleted. This is to remove information from storage that is old. If you need information from the locked thread please retrieve it before it is deleted.

Please be inclusive of everyone- this is an area for all members to chat and feel part of the community.

1) No trolling or posting topics with the intention of causing upset.
2) No swearing.
3) No abusive or derogatory comments about any group of people based on their look, beliefs, morals, religion, sexual orientation, gender, race, ethnicity , profession or country will be tolerated.
4) Keep 'angst' style posts to a minimum.
5) Keep topics PG13 - we don't have to be all nice and sugary, but nothing too graphic please.
6) *If you are asking where to buy something or asking where to find an item please post in Want To Buy- not here. This may also apply if you are looking for product information that will lead to indirect promotion.

(Remember you need to abide by the 50 posts/30 day rule in Want To Buy)
poxabomination

urgent hiccup help, totally serious

Post by poxabomination » Thu May 26, 2011 10:00 pm

ok guys, this is going to sound pretty stupid, but I get the hiccups a whole freaking lot, for long periods of Time. I've been hiccuping since 11:30 am and it is now 6 pm. my chest hurts, my lungs hurt, I feel like I'm gonna be sick. I can get them to go away for an hour at MOST by holding my breath til I'm on the verge of passing out, but it doesn't always work. every time i cough or swallow wrong I get them back. this isn't the first time it's gone on longer than an hour, but its definitely the longest I can remember. I've tried distracting myself, being startled, drinking tons of water, pulling my tongue, putting sugar on the back of my tongue, everything I know, and only holding my breath works once in a while.

does anyone have any other ideas? going to the ER for effing hiccups is not exactly what i want to do, but it's getting to be so frustrating and even painful that I feel like crying. Sounds incredibly stupid, I know. Any ideas?
"Distant beavers sound the alarm"

"Its not stylish if you look witty."

MrsEss

Re: urgent hiccup help, totally serious

Post by MrsEss » Thu May 26, 2011 10:05 pm

I'd suggest a trip to the doctor as hiccuping for that long just isn't right.
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Socially awkward since 1982
Decimation Fashion
Tumblr
Formerly known as DreadstarMonstar

poxabomination

Post by poxabomination » Thu May 26, 2011 10:11 pm

I'm definitely calling tomorrow, but the regular doctors is closed right now and I know my family would ridicule me forever if I went to the emergency room. I did some breathing exercises and they went away again, but I'm afraid they'll come back if I swallow... :i3:
and of course, I'm sure as soon as I got there they would go away :roll:
ugh, only me.
Do you know anything that could cause them to go on like this? it was triggered by drinking soda, i know that, but that happens to a lot of people and they don't drag on for hours like this. If it was a trapped air bubble, shouldn't it be freaking untrapped by now?

Nanou2

Post by Nanou2 » Thu May 26, 2011 11:59 pm

Ahh I hate hiccups. I used to get them most mornings.

I saw on TV the apparent closest cure some scientists made. You take a q-tip and stroke/tickle the back of your throat! I tried it and it worked a couple of times. It is suppose to do something with your nerves.

ALSO every time I get hiccups I think of this scary ass shiz-

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/shared/spl/hi/p ... html/2.stm

poxabomination

Post by poxabomination » Fri May 27, 2011 12:59 am

still happening... ugh. every time I cough or drink now it starts up again. graaarbbgbgl. ten hours! :evil: *goes off to ram q-tip down throat*

..::AtomicLox::..

Post by ..::AtomicLox::.. » Fri May 27, 2011 3:04 am

I am so curious how that went...

I get hiccups for several hours sometimes but not quite that bad. It's awful when it gets painful like that. Usually if I chug water while holding my breath until I think my lungs may explode and that does it. My step father got a REALLY bad (like all night long/couldn't sleep bad) case in the hospital after surgery and a nurse plugged his ears while he plugged his nose and drank water, and he said it was like a miracle!
The mind and hands behind Imp And Petal dreads!

http://www.impandpetal.etsy.com
http://www.facebook.com/ImpAndPetal

guest123

Post by guest123 » Fri May 27, 2011 4:38 pm

*deleted*
Last edited by guest123 on Sat May 09, 2015 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nanou2

Post by Nanou2 » Fri May 27, 2011 6:04 pm

stinamoo wrote: finger up the bum. Not even kidding.
Umm you try first! Tell me how it goes. :lol:

rivetlicker_

Post by rivetlicker_ » Sat May 28, 2011 1:17 am

Your diaphragm is spasming! It sucks cos there's not much you can do...

BOO!

poxabomination

Post by poxabomination » Sat May 28, 2011 1:47 am

It went away when I went to sleep guys.. at around 12:30, so that was 12+ hours. I didn't get around to calling the doctor today, I'm not sure what they'd say anyway. Next time I start for more than an hour I'm definitely calling though.

Hahah lol at finger up the bum :lol: I tried the q-tip and it just made me feel more like I was gonna throw up, because I kept hiccuping and gagging myself with it. The only other thing thats worked besides breathing excercies/holding my breath was putting a paper towel over a waterbottle and drinking it through the paper towel, but they only went away for an hour and came back :roll: But it was a nice relief. ONLY me.

[Phexxie]

Post by [Phexxie] » Sun May 29, 2011 1:16 pm

stinamoo wrote:Orgasm or a finger up the bum. Not even kidding.
uhm... this is actually really funny and totally relevant to me :shock:

i call my boyfriend every night, and i ALWAYS get hiccups during our phone calls
literally just a few then it goes
he started joking that it happens because im thinking about willies and other rude things

wait until i tell him that orgasms make it go away... all his theories confirmed, ill never live it down now :roll: :lol:

poxabomination

Post by poxabomination » Sun May 29, 2011 2:26 pm

[Phexxie] wrote:
stinamoo wrote:Orgasm or a finger up the bum. Not even kidding.
uhm... this is actually really funny and totally relevant to me :shock:

i call my boyfriend every night, and i ALWAYS get hiccups during our phone calls
literally just a few then it goes
he started joking that it happens because im thinking about willies and other rude things

wait until i tell him that orgasms make it go away... all his theories confirmed, ill never live it down now :roll: :lol:
ahahahahha :lol: Don't tell him! Save yourself!

Lilinth

Post by Lilinth » Tue May 31, 2011 12:24 pm

my OH cured my hiccups this weekend (not orgasm stuff) by getting me to take a really deep breath, hold my breath and tense my stomach muscles and push the stomach upwards (doesn't sound very clear but its the best way to explain it...) basically compressing my diaphragm from both sides with my lungs and stomach to stop it spasming
/emmy x

NirvanaMarie

Post by NirvanaMarie » Tue May 31, 2011 10:30 pm

I get 1 hiccup often... it's rarely more than 1, but it's really random. Like walking through a store or sitting in the car, one hiccup.

poxabomination

Post by poxabomination » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:29 am

doclocksinfo wrote:I get 1 hiccup often... it's rarely more than 1, but it's really random. Like walking through a store or sitting in the car, one hiccup.
ahh me too! everyones always like WTF was that? :lol: I do that at least a few times a day but never heard of anyone else that did :D

kittykadaver

Post by kittykadaver » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:06 pm

I've gotten the one random hiccup, too. So weird, as I expect more.

Have you tried eating peanut butter?
Or, drink water upside down. Fill a cup to the brim, and lean over (over a sink) and drink from the other side of the cup. It looks absolutely ridiculous, but does work (sometimes, at least). It has something to do with drinking/swallowing differently...

NirvanaMarie

Post by NirvanaMarie » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:22 pm

poxabomination wrote: ahh me too! everyones always like WTF was that? :lol: I do that at least a few times a day but never heard of anyone else that did :D
My hubby tells me I sound like a pigeongul...

°«Belle»°

Post by °«Belle»° » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:15 pm

My way to get rid of hiccups is to drink from the opposite side of a glass. You have to put your bottom lip on the inside of the glass and tip your head upside down. I try to drink a whole glass in one go. I have days where I get hiccups a lot and then go for days without any. My kids get hiccups when they laugh too much!
'Because I'm way more HARDCORE!'
Mummy to Kodi Michelle Autumn and Erin Rose

poxabomination

Post by poxabomination » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:29 pm

°«Belle»° wrote:My way to get rid of hiccups is to drink from the opposite side of a glass. You have to put your bottom lip on the inside of the glass and tip your head upside down. I try to drink a whole glass in one go. I have days where I get hiccups a lot and then go for days without any. My kids get hiccups when they laugh too much!
done it, thats something I've tried quite a few times to get my mom to stfu. She tells me to try it every single time and I always tell her it doesn't work, so I do it, continue hiccuping, then go "SEE MOM WHAT DID I EFF*hic*ING TELL YOU" :lol:
Thats what I mean, I've tried all the conventional "tried and true" methods but they don't seem to work, and the things that do work aren't permanent. :roll: Thanks though <3

Lady J

Post by Lady J » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:31 pm

Have you tried gargling with ice water, swallowing a spoonful of sugar, or pulling on your tongue? I've seriously heard of these remedies, its not just a competition to see can we get you to do silly things! :lol:
Fixing problems with your hair, alopecia and others.

Kaminoke

Post by Kaminoke » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:03 pm

Get someone to poke their finger in your butthole when you're least expecting it. Works every time ;)

Lady J

Post by Lady J » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:04 pm

Kaminoke wrote:Get someone to poke their finger in your butthole when you're least expecting it. Works every time ;)
How would one, er, go about setting up such an arrangement, without being aware of it..? :o
Fixing problems with your hair, alopecia and others.

Return to “Noise - General Chatter”