Juggalos?

Forum rules
The' GENERAL CHAT- silly posts' thread will be locked monthly. The old thread will remain for access for a month and then be deleted. This is to remove information from storage that is old. If you need information from the locked thread please retrieve it before it is deleted.

Please be inclusive of everyone- this is an area for all members to chat and feel part of the community.

1) No trolling or posting topics with the intention of causing upset.
2) No swearing.
3) No abusive or derogatory comments about any group of people based on their look, beliefs, morals, religion, sexual orientation, gender, race, ethnicity , profession or country will be tolerated.
4) Keep 'angst' style posts to a minimum.
5) Keep topics PG13 - we don't have to be all nice and sugary, but nothing too graphic please.
6) *If you are asking where to buy something or asking where to find an item please post in Want To Buy- not here. This may also apply if you are looking for product information that will lead to indirect promotion.

(Remember you need to abide by the 50 posts/30 day rule in Want To Buy)
Librarynerd

Juggalos?

Post by Librarynerd » Mon May 16, 2011 1:43 am

I was watching a video of "The gathering of the Juggalos"(festival for fans of Insane Clown Posse),on youtube and I noticed tons of braided and some dreaded hair. I know next nothing about Juggalos or the bands at the festival. I'm wondering if anyone here does vending of dreads and/or installs/braiding at the Gathering. Looks to me you could make a killing working it.

If there are any Juggalos here, is it more braids than dreads look that's popular? What does it mean to be a Juggalo? I've heard it has a Christian message, true?

I'm just really curious about this cultural phenomenon.:)
http://www.etsy.com/shop/jeanween23

XXXX I used to be disgusted. Now I try to be amused. XXXX

hatemekillme

Re: Juggalos?

Post by hatemekillme » Mon May 16, 2011 3:58 am

Im not a juggalo but it seems both the braids and the dreads are popular since ICP has sported both styles and Juggalos are imitating the style of the band. I put real dreads in a guys hair and the pic he brought me of what he wanted was a pic of one of the members of ICP..

Dystopatica

Post by Dystopatica » Mon May 16, 2011 6:54 am

ICP were, until very recently, just a horrorcore hip hop band fronted by blokes in clown make up. They included a lot of violent lyrics about cannablism and necrophilia, the usual shock schtick. Being a Juggalo just meant being a fan of the band and often copying the look yourself however Juggalos often crossed the line into fantacism, for some reason the band attracts a lot of obsessives.

There was then a storm in a teacup over some interview they did where they claimed they were Christians and had presented themselves as "ghetto" or "hardcore" in order to spread the message of God to people who wouldn't otherwise be interested. The internet had a spazz fit, as to be honest Juggalo's are often a source of ridicule and pity and it appeared the entire thing was a joke from start to finish. The band then later retracted these statements when they realised the extent of the backlash. Some still claim there is a message in the songs, it's open to interpretation I guess, but I'm not sure how Christian one can be whilst rapping about shagging corpses.
Monochrome Militia
Dystopatica.com

rivetlicker_

Post by rivetlicker_ » Mon May 16, 2011 7:58 am

How do magnets work?

That is all :P

ScarletLady

Post by ScarletLady » Mon May 16, 2011 9:08 am

I'm with Dystopatica...I don't know much about the metal scene these days but I was into it when ICP first came about. I bought Kerrang every week and I remember them first being about and it was all about shock value (this was about 13-14 years ago now I think). I've never rated them but I have no clue how they'd pass themselves off as Christian

All I really remember is their style, and the fact the had their own soft drink which would get sprayed over everyone at their gigs.
scarlet's taking over the asylum aka ladypanel

* Queen of Tangents*

poxabomination

Post by poxabomination » Mon May 16, 2011 9:50 pm

hahaha now I feel less bad, I had a huge response typed up but I PM'd it. Even though it was polite (or at least I tried to be) I didn't want to raise anyones hackles :lol:

Lol at magnets comment <3
"Distant beavers sound the alarm"

"Its not stylish if you look witty."

Goffy_lucc

Post by Goffy_lucc » Mon May 16, 2011 10:16 pm

Alllll I can say whilst staying nice, is that extreme juggalettes annoy me. I've been threatened to be "stabbed by the ghetto" by a juggalette. My OH likes ICP, but some people just take it to the extreme.

I know quite a few girls around here who sport braids, who are into the juggalo fashion, so maybe you should go for it :3
~Louie <3
Facebook | Tumblr

Find funky hair and jewels at~
Etsy | Facebook

xalternmommyx

Post by xalternmommyx » Mon May 16, 2011 10:17 pm

i know alot of "juggalos" from back home and i think alot of them would love the fake dreads thing. (that was the point of this right? lol)

i'm in complete shock that they had tried to pass as religious christians :lol: i've listened to their music and really thats gotta be a joke by them. i can say most of the "juggalos" i know/knew were obsessive types of weirdos.

MissPlastik

Post by MissPlastik » Fri May 20, 2011 6:13 pm

xalternmommyx wrote: i can say most of the "juggalos" i know/knew were obsessive types of weirdos.

this o.o

hatemekillme

Post by hatemekillme » Sat May 21, 2011 4:03 am

Goffy_lucc wrote:Alllll I can say whilst staying nice, is that extreme juggalettes annoy me. I've been threatened to be "stabbed by the ghetto" by a juggalette. My OH likes ICP, but some people just take it to the extreme.

I know quite a few girls around here who sport braids, who are into the juggalo fashion, so maybe you should go for it :3

I know what you mean. I think some of their songs are funny but I really don't understand how people can be that obsessed over them, or any band for that matter.

Tipsyxx

Post by Tipsyxx » Mon May 23, 2011 9:05 pm

I know that Triplesix sells dreadfalls /fringes and her customer base is mainly juggalos.

BUt I would be very cautious. They ARE weirdos and creeps. GOTJ [gathering of the juggalos] is a mess of drunken, drugged up crazy people.

IN the first place, being a juggalo was just a name for ICP fans. now people are so delusional that they think being a juggalo has some deeper meaning. People have taken it to the point where they believe being a juggalo is a RELIGION.................................

Its a headache. Talking to them is like talking to a brick wall [at least most of them]
Its a hit or miss with them, I've had them try to rip me off when I used to do graphic design.
Like for example, I was asked to make a layout for myspace for a couple bucks. I drew up a quick example of what I thought they wanted. They said "yes that looks awesome" so i made it. Once I sent them final draft. they wanted EVERYTHING CHANGED. And expected it for free..

Just a warning. I've heard of juggalettes doing this to fellow dreadmakers who aren't known well. and claiming their dreads aren't made well, when they ruined the dreads themselves by not caring for them. [they expect dreads to stay clean and perfect even after being doused in faygo]

NOTE: Not ALL of them do this. Just some. like i said, Hit or Miss with these people.

If you can endure the headache of dealing with brainless sheeps. go for it.

los

Post by los » Wed May 25, 2011 8:30 pm

I don't believe its fair to say any group of people is a particular way, but I respect your opinion. From my experience some are that way, but it is very hit and miss, just like it is with any person you'd meet juggalo or not. I actually went to the gathering last year and from my experience most of them were very laid back and helpful. Overall I'd say they're a very misunderstood group of people. I'd say the braided style is more popular among males while dread falls are popular among females. You could definitely make a killing selling out there. =]

MissAnthropik

Post by MissAnthropik » Wed May 25, 2011 8:48 pm

my husband is very into ICP (although he is not a juggalo), he has all the joker's cards tattooed on his arm. He has always believed that their message was satirical and ironic (he has a phd and is generally quite literary). I have always mocked him slightly as I thought that their fans and their music was definitely not clever. However, he is convinced, and I have to say i do think it seems that way, with the 6th joker's card that the message was supposed to be about living a good life. I am not 100% sold on the satire, but it does make sense that that could have been the message all along. (he is looking over my shoulder now and says it's all obvious. He says looking back on the ringmaster album (second album) there are passages which are clear reworkings of new testament passages (although he says this wouldn't be obvious if you didn't know it was supposed to be christian, so it wasn't obvious to him on original listening). He also says the old testament has rape etc in and he finds it hard to see why people can't see the christian thing in their songs.). For the record he is not Christian, but respects the viewpoint. His opinion is that they have a real meaning behind their songs, and unfortunately too many of their fans are not intelligent enough to get the real meaning, and so get everyone a bad name. He is not your typical ICP fan I would say! :lol:
telling it like it is!

poxabomination

Post by poxabomination » Wed May 25, 2011 9:04 pm

MissAnthropik wrote:my husband is very into ICP (although he is not a juggalo), he has all the joker's cards tattooed on his arm. He has always believed that their message was satirical and ironic (he has a phd and is generally quite literary). I have always mocked him slightly as I thought that their fans and their music was definitely not clever. However, he is convinced, and I have to say i do think it seems that way, with the 6th joker's card that the message was supposed to be about living a good life. I am not 100% sold on the satire, but it does make sense that that could have been the message all along. (he is looking over my shoulder now and says it's all obvious. He says looking back on the ringmaster album (second album) there are passages which are clear reworkings of new testament passages (although he says this wouldn't be obvious if you didn't know it was supposed to be christian, so it wasn't obvious to him on original listening). He also says the old testament has rape etc in and he finds it hard to see why people can't see the christian thing in their songs.). For the record he is not Christian, but respects the viewpoint. His opinion is that they have a real meaning behind their songs, and unfortunately too many of their fans are not intelligent enough to get the real meaning, and so get everyone a bad name. He is not your typical ICP fan I would say! :lol:
I think this is pretty fair, its unfortunate because it seems like one of those things where the majority of fans are numbskulls, and there are some that are definitely not. I always try to be careful about what I say, because there are always people who don't fit the stereotype.
Honestly, it sucks but think a lot more people would try to understand the message if people didn't ruin it for them. All I have ever known are "juggalos" who are obsessive to the point of insanity, or delusional in some other way, and so in my mind ICP is always going to be associated with that kind of behaviour, and I'm never going to like it. Not unless I start meeting people like your husband! :lol:
"Distant beavers sound the alarm"

"Its not stylish if you look witty."

danixdorko

Post by danixdorko » Thu May 26, 2011 6:36 am

rivetlicker_ wrote:How do magnets work?

That is all :P
:lol: I love you Lara.
poxabomination wrote:I think this is pretty fair, its unfortunate because it seems like one of those things where the majority of fans are numbskulls, and there are some that are definitely not. I always try to be careful about what I say, because there are always people who don't fit the stereotype.
Honestly, it sucks but think a lot more people would try to understand the message if people didn't ruin it for them. All I have ever known are "juggalos" who are obsessive to the point of insanity, or delusional in some other way, and so in my mind ICP is always going to be associated with that kind of behaviour, and I'm never going to like it. Not unless I start meeting people like your husband!
I agree with this. All of the "juggalo/juggalette's" that I've met in person have been very obsessive, delusional and a lot of them are downright hostile for no apparent reason.
TripleSixx is a really nice girl though, from what I know of her. :) &She seems to do quite well for herself running her business. I do think it's all about the person. Some people take it too far and are mean about it, but some people can be really cool regardless. As far as the band goes, I would judge a person simply for liking them, but if they were too much for me I just wouldn't continue doing their hair.
-Indecisive Army-

Sunshine Button.

Tipsyxx

Post by Tipsyxx » Thu May 26, 2011 7:18 am

From my experience, as i've had to work with these type of people a lot, I used to do promotions for a Juggalo internet radio station.

The "old school" juggalos are Far more laid back, Its the NEW SCHOOL ones that are the idiotic, hostile, "Screw you if you dont like icp" type.

To seperate new school from old school. the vague line between the end of the Shangri-la album, and their "Tempest" album. the ones who were fans pre tempest. generally are more calm.

The ones who are fans post tempest. are... the "bandwagon" jumpers. who didn't pay attention to the old 'jokers cards' which yes, they did have a meaning. Each 'card' had a story.
I will post a link if someone would like to learn. it is quite interesting... but some don't bother. and they just derp around and hate anyone who doesn't like icp.
I've gotten a lot of hate from them because I didn't like ICP. called a fake. among other obscenities.

http://www.angelfire.com/wi3/lair_jokerscards/

°«Belle»°

Post by °«Belle»° » Thu May 26, 2011 8:22 am

MissAnthropik, I think my OH and your OH would get on very well!
'Because I'm way more HARDCORE!'
Mummy to Kodi Michelle Autumn and Erin Rose

EmilyBetsy

Post by EmilyBetsy » Fri May 27, 2011 3:10 am

I am a juggalo. I've been to the past 4 gatherings and I plan to go this year as well. I actually buy my dread extensions from a juggalette. Oxi Lox is the name of her company. Amazing work, amazing girl. The dread falls and the braids have become very common amongst juggalettes. Not so much the dread extensions though. That I rarely see. Myself and only a few other girls I have seen. But even though I am a juggalo myself I will agree with most of what is said about them. Lots of awful people I will admit. But I am so thankful I have gotten to be friends with the "normal" people. All of my friends are old schoolers and we're all like old people. Just happy to chill. Never about the drugs and destruction.

But I think the point of this was could you make a lot off of these people? Yes, very much so. I'd def go for it and set up a booth there and sell dread falls. They'd sell like hot cakes!

EmilyBetsy

Post by EmilyBetsy » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:47 pm

Well it is that time again! The gathering is here. And hopefully it's a good year. Last year there were too many bad things that happened. I'm leaving tomorrow and I hope to post some pictures on here when I get back in a week!

Return to “Noise - General Chatter”