The exercise thread.

Forum rules
The' GENERAL CHAT- silly posts' thread will be locked monthly. The old thread will remain for access for a month and then be deleted. This is to remove information from storage that is old. If you need information from the locked thread please retrieve it before it is deleted.

Please be inclusive of everyone- this is an area for all members to chat and feel part of the community.

1) No trolling or posting topics with the intention of causing upset.
2) No swearing.
3) No abusive or derogatory comments about any group of people based on their look, beliefs, morals, religion, sexual orientation, gender, race, ethnicity , profession or country will be tolerated.
4) Keep 'angst' style posts to a minimum.
5) Keep topics PG13 - we don't have to be all nice and sugary, but nothing too graphic please.
6) *If you are asking where to buy something or asking where to find an item please post in Want To Buy- not here. This may also apply if you are looking for product information that will lead to indirect promotion.

(Remember you need to abide by the 50 posts/30 day rule in Want To Buy)
MrsEss

The exercise thread.

Post by MrsEss » Tue May 03, 2011 9:58 pm

I know there's a WW thread & a P90x thread, but as the talk on the chat thread includes a fair bit of discussion over exercise, I figured it made sense to have a thread all of it's very own!

I'm currently doing pilates, after a crippling (no exaggeration unfortunately) bad back that has gradually got worse, especially in this last year, my DR printed me about 3 different pilates moves. If I'm honest, I didn't do them & my back recently hurt again, requiring codeine from the Dr...which can I just say only took the edge off the pain.

SOoooooooooo, day 2 of pilates. I'm aiming for an hour a day, I'm managing about 35 minute or so atm...however I do walk for about an hour a day too.
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Socially awkward since 1982
Decimation Fashion
Tumblr
Formerly known as DreadstarMonstar

ShadowThrone

Re: The exercise thread.

Post by ShadowThrone » Tue May 03, 2011 10:11 pm

Good thread!

Hopefully it will motivate me when I can't be arsed ;)

Well, I'm losing weight at the mo, so I'm exercising 5 days a week(mostly, try for at least 4!), varying intense 30 min sessions on my spinning bike, with 30-40 min walks.

I like doing pilates too, haven't done it in a while but I have some dvd's, oh and I do weights for my arms and sit up/press ups when I remember.

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Tue May 03, 2011 10:20 pm

ShadowThrone wrote:G

Hopefully it will motivate me when I can't be arsed ;)

That's what I thought. Considering I said I was gonna start pilates early in april I think & did it once. Oopps. Whenever Grace mentions exercise I feel like a big lummox as I know I haven't done any & I'm fully aware now my "I walk everywhere" doesn't quite cut it when it comes to exercise!
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Decimation Fashion
Tumblr

ShadowThrone

Post by ShadowThrone » Tue May 03, 2011 10:22 pm

Walking everywhere is still really good though :D

I've only tried callanetics once, and now we don't have a laptop in the living room, I can't connect it up and do it there, bugger! Will definately give it another try when its all hooked up again though.

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Tue May 03, 2011 10:30 pm

Yeah, I know. But I've walked for the majorty of my life & am still no more toned :lol:

Decimation Fashion
Tumblr

CancerHybrid

Post by CancerHybrid » Wed May 04, 2011 5:04 am

hey girls
glad DSM started this thread, i felt pretty unwelcome in the WW one, which is why don't post much in it.
i have been working out 4-5 days a week. i do a lot of cardio (elliptical, trampoline, running) and i have started doing some exercise dvds. mostly 6week 6pack, yoga and pilates.

just got a a work out buddy but he is leaving the state for 6weeks to visit family. it won't really affect my working out, but its just nice to have the company.

my bf made a comment tonight that made me really happy. he said my abs felt really hard. :D

DSM the reason i started yoga and pilates was to help with flexibility and back pain. i haven't noticed a difference yet, but its only been a week. keep us updated on how its going for you :)
*Manda*

Lorny

Post by Lorny » Wed May 04, 2011 6:59 am

What, unwelcome??? We'll have non of that in our gaff!!! If you have abs though, you were probably in the wrong place. :lol:

I have a pilates video that Mother has swiped from me, do you think it burns calories at all? I do need to tone up as I lose weight though, which I've only just started to get back into.

At least when you walk you're burning calories. :D I don't walk anywhere, mainly cuz I can't be arsed to walk 3 miles to work. I probably should now that it's getting nice, but I get so flippin' sweaty trying to make it there in under 45 minutes!

CancerHybrid

Post by CancerHybrid » Wed May 04, 2011 7:16 am

they are hidden under the tiniest layer of fat. i am just about starting to see the line down the middle now.

i posted in there over the winter when i was flabbier. but as far as weight loss, i am carrying extra weight in my hips and thighs that i would like to be rid of. it makes me look a little disproportionate. :? and i don't like the whole thighs rubbing thing, its uncomfortable. but i guess its just one of those stubborn places that you lose last.
*Manda*

CancerHybrid

Post by CancerHybrid » Wed May 04, 2011 7:25 am

ahhh i am trying to take my measurements and the cat is attacking my measuring tape :lol: :evil:
*Manda*

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Wed May 04, 2011 8:42 am

I know my measurements....38, 33, 43. Well, I think that's right. hip & waist is definite as I checked that yesterday.

It'll burn calories, but I have no idea how many. I'm looking more to gain some core strength though & tone.....luckily the DVD I have gets you to work on everything, but the main focus is what they refer to as "your natural corset"

Decimation Fashion
Tumblr

ScarletLady

Post by ScarletLady » Wed May 04, 2011 9:29 am

Any ideas on what's good if you're allergic to exercise??

I know that sounds crazy but I really am! I can't do anything strenuous or I break out into a mass of heat hives. It's bad to the point where I spent about 15 mins playing basketball once and my eyes nearly swelled shut and I had trouble breathing. It even happens if I walk on a hot day. The doctor has no clue what it is and just prescribed anti-histamines which make no difference at all.

I have no clue what exercise to do as I'm really limited in terms of cardio :|
scarlet's taking over the asylum aka ladypanel

* Queen of Tangents*

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Wed May 04, 2011 9:34 am

Pilates :D It's really low impact. I don't break a sweat, but can feel my muscles as it's all about stretching.

Decimation Fashion
Tumblr

ScarletLady

Post by ScarletLady » Wed May 04, 2011 9:36 am

Dan's mentioned pilates before to me actually. I might look into it. Do you go to classes? I have low fundage so anything very cheap or possibly free would be better :D

* Queen of Tangents*

CancerHybrid

Post by CancerHybrid » Wed May 04, 2011 9:41 am

i just use a dvd that i ordered online for less then $10
i enjoy it. its not strenuous, so i do that on days that i have a migraine. that way i am still getting a workout in.
*Manda*

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Wed May 04, 2011 10:26 am

No, but apparently when the forum (ice skating, swimming, gm etc local to me) re-opens it may do it, I'll have a look. BUT I bought a DVD from ebay for about £4. It's pilates powerhouse, I got it cos it specifically works on strengthening the back

Decimation Fashion
Tumblr

ScarletLady

Post by ScarletLady » Wed May 04, 2011 10:27 am

Might be good for me too then :)

* Queen of Tangents*

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Wed May 04, 2011 10:46 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HaIYhTfYKQ

This is from the dvd I have. It starts at the basic & shows you the more advanced moves. I was saying on chat last night some of the advances moves I cannot do or can only do one, but I now have a goal :D (one more on my left leg though my my sciatica scream so I'll have to be careful with that one)

Decimation Fashion
Tumblr

night_wolf

Post by night_wolf » Wed May 04, 2011 11:39 am

I feel quite bad about exercise recently!

I was getting into a good stream the last couple of weeks of going to the gym and then I went swimming, but this last week due to my final year project I've not been able to go at all!

I also found out how much I weigh, which is alright, but I wish I wasn't so heavy! :(, but alas I suppose it'll change eventually.

I'll hopefully be going back to the gym tomorrow, I miss it so!

Monique_marion_may

Post by Monique_marion_may » Wed May 04, 2011 11:43 am

Me and exercise are mortal enemies.

patricia*star

Post by patricia*star » Wed May 04, 2011 11:51 am

ive just done some callanetics in the nip! well, in bra and knickers and lets just say its the best session ive ever done because i could see the muscles working and also when it was getting hard i could see ,my wobbly bits wobbling and that made me work through the pain! :lol:
The show must go on. Inside my heart is breaking, my makeup may be flaking but my smile still stays on.

starlight

Post by starlight » Wed May 04, 2011 12:08 pm

I don't do a lot of exercise at the moment as I spend 8 hours a day walking a round a supermarket stacking shelves. I'd like to start swimming again though, I did lessons for years when I was young so it's the one form of exercise I can do pretty well!

All the talk of pilates/callanetics etc on here though has got me interested in trying something like that, can anyone recommend any super-beginner youtube videos/dvds etc for either?

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Wed May 04, 2011 12:38 pm

We need Gracey, she is the Callanetics queens. I find pilates similar to Yoga, the Mr used to do yoga & I tried but just couldn't get in to it. I remember the sun salutation & that's about it now. Anyhooo....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7K8xc10U ... re=related

^that looks pretty good, she's got about 70 videos. The one I've linked shows the "hundred" at 2 minutes in....that's "fun" my stomach actually isnt too happy with me atm, neither is my neck.

PLUS that girl has half sleeves :D

Decimation Fashion
Tumblr

patricia*star

Post by patricia*star » Wed May 04, 2011 2:18 pm

wow, that was awesome :D i needs me some pilates!
The show must go on. Inside my heart is breaking, my makeup may be flaking but my smile still stays on.

Monique_marion_may

Post by Monique_marion_may » Wed May 04, 2011 2:35 pm

Wow that video is great! defo going to give that ago!

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Wed May 04, 2011 3:18 pm

:D Glad to help!

Decimation Fashion
Tumblr

Return to “Noise - General Chatter”