The exercise thread.

Forum rules
The' GENERAL CHAT- silly posts' thread will be locked monthly. The old thread will remain for access for a month and then be deleted. This is to remove information from storage that is old. If you need information from the locked thread please retrieve it before it is deleted.

Please be inclusive of everyone- this is an area for all members to chat and feel part of the community.

1) No trolling or posting topics with the intention of causing upset.
2) No swearing.
3) No abusive or derogatory comments about any group of people based on their look, beliefs, morals, religion, sexual orientation, gender, race, ethnicity , profession or country will be tolerated.
4) Keep 'angst' style posts to a minimum.
5) Keep topics PG13 - we don't have to be all nice and sugary, but nothing too graphic please.
6) *If you are asking where to buy something or asking where to find an item please post in Want To Buy- not here. This may also apply if you are looking for product information that will lead to indirect promotion.

(Remember you need to abide by the 50 posts/30 day rule in Want To Buy)
ShadowThrone

Re: The exercise thread.

Post by ShadowThrone » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:34 pm

I have finally joined the gym :D

After losing 40kgs in less than a year, I do have some loose skin, so I'm hoping to tighten everything up a bit, concentrating on weights, with some cardio.

patricia*star

Post by patricia*star » Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:31 am

ShadowThrone wrote:I have finally joined the gym :D

After losing 40kgs in less than a year, I do have some loose skin, so I'm hoping to tighten everything up a bit, concentrating on weights, with some cardio.
Thats where im at at the moment amy, just trying to tighten and sculpt everything.
How do i do it? Ive been doing loads of stomach and arm/leg exercises, am i doing it right?
The show must go on. Inside my heart is breaking, my makeup may be flaking but my smile still stays on.

ShadowThrone

Post by ShadowThrone » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:43 am

I know weights/building muscle are supposed to help, so that's what I'm doing at the moment, as heavy as I can just about manage at the mo! My arms and legs have definite muscle already, stomach is a total mess really so that's what I mainly want to change. Will keep at it and see how it goes :)

patricia*star

Post by patricia*star » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:28 pm

Yeah its mainly my stomach too, and those weird bits under my armpits that hang over when i wear tight stuff :oops:
Ive just moved from 15kg to 20kg on my arms, it knacks so bad!
The show must go on. Inside my heart is breaking, my makeup may be flaking but my smile still stays on.

ShadowThrone

Post by ShadowThrone » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:26 pm

I'm doing 15 at the mo, managed 25 on my abs, wtf?! Haha yeah it hurts!

Monique_marion_may

Post by Monique_marion_may » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:10 pm

My arms are sooo weak! I can only do like 10KG on my arms, 25 on my abs, and like 80 on my legs :shock:

ShadowThrone

Post by ShadowThrone » Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:39 am

Yeah my abs and legs are stronger than my arms, I have a fair amount of visible muscle when I flex my arms so I thought they'd be stronger :lol: also, Mon, 80?! That's more than I weigh! Go you :D

Monique_marion_may

Post by Monique_marion_may » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:35 am

ShadowThrone wrote:Yeah my abs and legs are stronger than my arms, I have a fair amount of visible muscle when I flex my arms so I thought they'd be stronger :lol: also, Mon, 80?! That's more than I weigh! Go you :D
Haha thank you! My legs are like bloody tree trunks, they may as well be useful for something! haha

Gracey

Post by Gracey » Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:07 pm

I don't really indulge in weights. Given my body-type, I'm always scared I'd end up looking like Jodie Marsh. Shudder. I do wear ankle and wrist weights when I do 'tics, mainly beacuse I feel no resistance otherwise, and I like to. And I do some reps of basic arm exercises with dumbbells of no more than 2.5kg. For tightening arms and stomachs, you don't get much better than planks and press-ups. And I do love crunches for the stomach, too.

I have thrown caution to the wind and done an hour's workout. This is very probably a mistake, given that my neck has been awful all week. But it was driving me mad not being able to do my exercise and my painkillers do work so I've done it. I took it pretty gently so I'm hoping i've not set myself back further.
What, that? It's a spade.

Gracey xx
Formerly known as Woolhairhabbit

ShadowThrone

Post by ShadowThrone » Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:35 pm

woolhairhabit wrote:I don't really indulge in weights. Given my body-type, I'm always scared I'd end up looking like Jodie Marsh.
:lol: I really enjoy doing weights actually, it's hard work but it's almost relaxing in a weird way! I guess you rest in between sets.

Gracey

Post by Gracey » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:27 am

I'm settling into my new work hours and therefore a new approach to exercise, which consists of light callanetics through the week and a pure exercise binge at the weekend.

I did 'tics three times last week, in the evenings, and yesterday I did an hour of aerobics on waking. This morning, I did an hour of stomach and lower body work and then 90 mins of yoga from my p90x workouts. I did that with Elfin, whose gymnastics can only be aided by the addition of regular yoga. I am more pleased with myself than is actually flatteing at the realisation that some of my strength and balance actually surpasses hers.

Ha! Take that, young superhuman.

Gracey xx

NearFantastica

Post by NearFantastica » Tue May 01, 2012 11:06 pm

woolhairhabit wrote:I don't really indulge in weights. Given my body-type, I'm always scared I'd end up looking like Jodie Marsh.
I love doing weights! Makes me feel strong :) There is no possible way for a woman to bulk up without the use of steroids, we just don't have those kind of hormones. Also, if you aren't eating enough for the muscle to grow, it just won't. I never really learned that until last year (after I'd gotten rid of the weight machine I'd inherited, damn!) and now I love weights, much more than cardio lol. Without muscle, you won't burn fat! I'm still waiting for my own muscle to start eating my body fat haha and I'm soooooo impatient...
...I like to pretend that I'm a rockstar while driving o.O

Gracey

Post by Gracey » Thu May 03, 2012 9:42 pm

Ah, there are many different body types in the world. Much as I wish I were long and spindly, as a former gymnast I am strong and powerful and bulk up very easily. I'm lucky enough to not carry much fat anywhere and a serious workout is visible on my body-type. I much prefer cardio for fitness; I like to get my heart rate up and sweat a bit. For the aesthetics, I go for yoga and callanetics to tone and keep it all tight. Everyone finds their own approach, I reckon, and it's always good to know what your own body responds and reacts to.

Gracey xx

Gracey

Post by Gracey » Wed May 09, 2012 1:21 pm

I feel like a crazy lady in here. Is everyone else just working out too hard to post?

Another couple of hours of yga done this morning, to follow my cardio on Monday. Feeling pretty proud of my results just now.

Gracey xx

ShadowThrone

Post by ShadowThrone » Wed May 09, 2012 3:16 pm

I'm still gym'ing 4 times a week approximatley! Mangaged 50kgs on the weight machines for my legs. Hoping to be able to lift a lot more in the future :)

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Wed May 09, 2012 4:17 pm

Just stretches for me, I don't mind my body shape or mild wibble. It's always been there & I don't have the motivation to do a lot about it. I can understand a life of exercise it's more a part of life & those who've lost a load of weight will want to do. I have a fair amount of strength, not vast amounts but yeah.

I have 3 different stretches from the physio to do twice every day, she said too much is gonna cause unnecessary pain & too little isn't going to help.
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Socially awkward since 1982
Decimation Fashion
Tumblr
Formerly known as DreadstarMonstar

RxQueen

Post by RxQueen » Thu May 10, 2012 6:01 pm

i had originally started working my biceps/ arms generally because of walking my dog (great dane). In the beginning when he was a pup his strength could knock me down and drag me behind him.
now that he's learned proper manners and is much bigger, and i have lots of practise with him on the leash it is much much nicer. i do owe a lot of it to weights too i think.
i started my very first regular workout regime at 27 years old this past december. three to four times a week.
i havent lost any weight (that i know of?) but i have toned up quite a bit and i am very happy with myself when i work out.
note also that i didnt really need to lose weight, i am a healthy weight.
Working out regularly has been a big benefit to my stress level, after a tense day at work etc. doing cardio will get that aggression right out. im generally a happier person when i workout :)
its nice to see others working towards or reaching their fitness goals on here.

jennytree

Post by jennytree » Sun May 13, 2012 6:27 pm

I've lost about 35lbs since Jan, constantly changing my routine up a little!

This month, it's couch to 5k (using the podcasts from the NHS website), and Turbofire. I had been doing more strength stuff, now it's time to push the cardio up a notch.
I can't get a bloody avatar to fit!

Celestial-Fox

Post by Celestial-Fox » Wed May 16, 2012 6:36 am

Beginning to be healthier!

Went on a seven-mile bike ride today; it's the first time I've exercised in about a year! I also skipped out on ice cream when my family went. I just have to try to be more conscious of what I eat during the weekdays~

Gracey

Post by Gracey » Sun May 20, 2012 9:16 am

One of my friends is doing the couch to 5k thing too.

I've been a yoga-fiend this week. Elfin is doing it too so it's a bit of added incentive. I also did an hour of cardio at the crack of dawn today; it's the only way I can fit it into my week.

Gracey xx

Little Wicked

Post by Little Wicked » Sun May 27, 2012 7:00 pm

Having been somewhat absent from this thread for a while, it is now time for me to get off my lazy arse and get on with some serious exercise! Tomorrow my plan starts afresh. I really don't have a truly set plan, but I do know that I will have to drag my bum out of bed early in the morning in order to fit in exercise before work, as working full time and running my shop as well will not leave me much time to exercise in the evenings when I get home. As much as I hate early mornings, I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and get on with it! Tomorrow's plan is to go for a run before work, and then fit in a 20-min session from the 30-day shred DVD in the evening. I will carry on with evening workouts as well as long as my schedule allows, but at some point I am expecting that my shop will take over my evenings completely at which point I will have to fit it all in first thing in the morning.
Mindi Kay: loves dreads,corsets, shoes, makeup & fashion, obsessed with all things horror/gore related.
http://littlewickedsworld.blogspot.co.uk/
http://www.littlewickedsemporium.co.uk

Gracey

Post by Gracey » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:59 pm

I've picked back up on the old P90X stuff lately. I've always done the yoga segment but it's been a while since I did any of the rest. I've done Plyometrics a couple of times (much to the hilarity of my kids; you do look like a right dick doing it) and it's a killer, so today I did Cardio X as it's a bit softer. A bit too soft, actually. The workout is good but it's only 30 minutes and I like an hour. So I supplemented it with the Ab Ripper section, which is 15 minutes of out-and-out torture.

Other than that, I've been doing my regular hour of cardio toning and Callanetics when I can fit it in; the cardio in the mornings when I get up early and the Callanetics in the evenings if I have nothing else pressing.

Gracey xx

ShadowThrone

Post by ShadowThrone » Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:28 pm

I've been working out quite a lot recently, 7k run or crosstrainer, plus about an hour weights per session, alternating body parts, doing this about 5-6 times a week, taking a day off when I'm REALLY knackered :lol: seeing some more definition in my arms and legs, so pleased with how it's going.

Gracey

Post by Gracey » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:38 am

I've mentioned before that my morning-person tendencies make it difficult for me to find the motivation to exercise after work, not to mention my hectic lifestyle. So I've been getting up at 6am to give me an hour to exercise before everyone else gets up and the madness of the day begins. I'm concentrating mainly on P90X, with some Callanetics/ my trusty aerobics workout thrown in, depending on how I feel/what I did the day before. This morning, I did the Plyometrics from P90X, which is easily the most high-intensity hour I spend through the week. That workout is so much more difficult than it looks; I sweat like a bull and end up a nice shade of purple. It's nice to feel like I've done something but there's no way I could do that before work, so it has to be the weekend.

Usually on Sundays, Elfin and I do the Yoga X segment but tomorrow, I'm going to throw in another before she gets up. I will decide which in the morning, as last time I did Plyo, I was a wreck for three days.

Gracey xx

ShadowThrone

Post by ShadowThrone » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:54 am

I prefer to exercise in the morning too, but unfortunately it's not an option right now, I have to get the tube to work at 7am and the gym opens at 6:30, wouldn't be time. Getting into the swing of working out after work though.

Been upping my weights recently :D

Return to “Noise - General Chatter”