The exercise thread.

Forum rules
The' GENERAL CHAT- silly posts' thread will be locked monthly. The old thread will remain for access for a month and then be deleted. This is to remove information from storage that is old. If you need information from the locked thread please retrieve it before it is deleted.

Please be inclusive of everyone- this is an area for all members to chat and feel part of the community.

1) No trolling or posting topics with the intention of causing upset.
2) No swearing.
3) No abusive or derogatory comments about any group of people based on their look, beliefs, morals, religion, sexual orientation, gender, race, ethnicity , profession or country will be tolerated.
4) Keep 'angst' style posts to a minimum.
5) Keep topics PG13 - we don't have to be all nice and sugary, but nothing too graphic please.
6) *If you are asking where to buy something or asking where to find an item please post in Want To Buy- not here. This may also apply if you are looking for product information that will lead to indirect promotion.

(Remember you need to abide by the 50 posts/30 day rule in Want To Buy)
patricia*star

Re: The exercise thread.

Post by patricia*star » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:06 pm

woolhairhabit wrote:I'm a short-arse too Lisa. I wish I could look as sleek and willowy as Sarah but I'm resigned to being tank-shaped.

Nice to see you back on the thread, just please be kind to your poor knee.
Ill be taking it steady hun, no worries there :)

I agree with amy, you certainly dont look like a tank to me.
The show must go on. Inside my heart is breaking, my makeup may be flaking but my smile still stays on.

ShadowThrone

Post by ShadowThrone » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:37 pm

Definitely not a tank Gracey!

It's weird, I've been thinking for years my legs are short and stumpy, but they were just fat. :oops: have just realised in the last couple of weeks, they're not.

Monique_marion_may

Post by Monique_marion_may » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:03 am

I'm starting my new excercise today, walking down and up 14 flights of stairs. I had to do it for a fire alarm the other day as you can't use the lift, and it killed me and i've been aching for days after. I've never had that from the gym before, so I thought if i did that once a day, not only would i have calfs of steel, it should burn a few pounds haha

Gracey

Post by Gracey » Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:19 am

I've always considered myself tank-shaped. I think it must go back to my gymnastics days when I was a bit of a powerhouse by definition.
Monique_marion_may wrote:I'm starting my new excercise today, walking down and up 14 flights of stairs. I had to do it for a fire alarm the other day as you can't use the lift, and it killed me and i've been aching for days after. I've never had that from the gym before, so I thought if i did that once a day, not only would i have calfs of steel, it should burn a few pounds haha
Mon, you have hit on something there. Some folk would always take the lift, whereas some would always take the stairs. Often, it correlates directly with a person's size/fitness. It's those small changes that make big differences, for sure.
What, that? It's a spade.

Gracey xx
Formerly known as Woolhairhabbit

Monique_marion_may

Post by Monique_marion_may » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:33 am

Well i just walked down and up, and our housemate told us that whilst on his travelling days he found out if you pull back the seal of a public washing machine their is usually money in there from peoples pockets. So when i was on the bottom floor and i looked, and gained my self 30p too - lifes little pleasures :P

ShadowThrone

Post by ShadowThrone » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:46 am

:lol:

I actually ran up the stairs after my run this morning, we're only on the third floor, but it hurt!

patricia*star

Post by patricia*star » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:39 am

ShadowThrone wrote::lol:

I actually ran up the stairs after my run this morning, we're only on the third floor, but it hurt!
Oof be careful amy, thats how you fall UP the stairs! It hurts like hell! :lol:
The show must go on. Inside my heart is breaking, my makeup may be flaking but my smile still stays on.

MissLove

Post by MissLove » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:38 pm

Question.. How much jogging should i be doing to start with if i am totally unfit? 15 minutes.. 20? Walking a minute then jogging a minute?

ShadowThrone

Post by ShadowThrone » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:52 pm

patricia*star wrote:
ShadowThrone wrote::lol:

Oof be careful amy, thats how you fall UP the stairs! It hurts like hell! :lol:
:lol: I do that even when I'm not running! Clumsy!
MissLove wrote:Question.. How much jogging should i be doing to start with if i am totally unfit? 15 minutes.. 20? Walking a minute then jogging a minute?
Definitely start slow. Walk fast then build up to a jog. Walking a minute, jogging a minute is usually good!

MissLove

Post by MissLove » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:57 pm

even the thought of excersize makes me tired :P

patricia*star

Post by patricia*star » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:40 pm

MissLove wrote:even the thought of excersize makes me tired :P
I agree with amy, start with a fast walk for 30 mins 4times in a week and then try running for 5 and walking for 5. Do that until you have been at it for 30mins. Try that 4 times during a. Week and then add 5mins to your running each time.
If you find that too hard then try running between lamposts :D

It really works if you build up slowly. I started running this way and i was a total lazy lump.
Back in april i ran the london marathon so great improvements are possible if you really want it :D
Welcome to the forum!

starlight

Post by starlight » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:26 pm

I've been making an effort to use the exercise bike more recently, doing 1/2 hour about 3 times a week for the last 2 weeks, which I'm aiming to build up to 5 days a week. It records your distance, so I've been writing it down each time in the hope I'll see progress to spur me on, and in 2 weeks I've gone from doing 9km in 1/2 hour, to 10.29km today :D It also records calories, but I have no idea how accurate it is. If it is accurate, then I just burned 247 :D

Must. Keep. This. Up!

ShadowThrone

Post by ShadowThrone » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:59 am

Good job, Starlight :D

I've just done some interval training for the first time in a while. Made me pretty tired! Hope that gets some fat burning. It's also good for the heart/lungs apparently. It really helped me when I was a lot bigger and first started exercising, so I hope it can still do some good!

MissLove

Post by MissLove » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:41 pm

Just joined a gym.. induction on Thursday.. eep!

Goffy_lucc

Post by Goffy_lucc » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:59 pm

Haven't kept up with this.
I am walking as much as possible.
My zumba classes finished because there wasn't enough demand for it in my area (only 5 people were going by the last session, me included) if I wanted to carry on I'd have to walk 40 minutes across town to get there. I would be much too exhausted to do that.
Swimming hasn't been happening because of a price increase and money troubles recently.

However! Not all is glum, I have been doing daily yoga, sit ups, squats and lunges, then getting my brand new weights out and doing a few weights.

Haven't lost weight, but have lost one or two inches around my stomach.
~Louie <3
Facebook | Tumblr

Find funky hair and jewels at~
Etsy | Facebook

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:54 pm

woolhairhabit wrote:I'm a short-arse too Lisa. I wish I could look as sleek and willowy as Sarah but I'm resigned to being tank-shaped.

ME????? :oops: Gosh, I am surprised Gracey. I've told you before, I'll gladly swap my size 14 arse for yours any day!!

Also, must do tics tonight, my leg is hurting more than usual. Gonna do the full routine, not just the keep back from going in to spasm that I've been doing.
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Socially awkward since 1982
Decimation Fashion
Tumblr
Formerly known as DreadstarMonstar

ShadowThrone

Post by ShadowThrone » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:21 pm

I've been upping my cardio recently, did an hour today! I've been working on core strength too, crunches and planks and whatnot. I can also do non girly press ups :D

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:24 pm

If I had more motivation I'd become a fitness nut just to see how svelte I could actually be. I'm too lazy though! Richard's said he's gonna get his tools back soon, so I can start on the x trainer again. Last time I was on it I could manage 15 minutes on the hardest setting. My goal is to manage an hour, eventually!!
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Decimation Fashion
Tumblr

starlight

Post by starlight » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:37 pm

:lol: I'm too lazy to be a fitness nut too. Aiming to do half hour 5 days a week, we'll see how it goes.

I had a week off from doing the bike as I was feeling a bit rough from a combination of a bad cold and that time of the month. Just done my half hour and pleased to see I haven't lost too much progress, I still managed just over 10km :D

ShadowThrone

Post by ShadowThrone » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:53 pm

I think I am becoming a bit fitness nutesque :lol: mainly because it's so closely tied into my weight loss, but I do enjoy it, and I do feel iffy if I haven't worked out. I accept I will have to exercise regularly for the rest of my life now (or try very hard to!)

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:59 pm

Yeah, see I got in to that mentality too, but work came along & being out of work for so long I was fecking exhausted afterwards and I like my sleep too much to get up early & work out. I seem to be in a rhythm now with work though, so should be able to get back to the feeling guilty if I don't exercise. I know it's good for me & my back hasn't hurt since that incident much, much earlier on in the year.

Decimation Fashion
Tumblr

Gracey

Post by Gracey » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:38 am

OK ladies, we've had a quiet month in the exercise thread.

But it's January now; cold and shitty outside. I for one have gained quite the lazy arse and mean to banish it as quickly as it arrived. And, in this age of austerity, what better way to save on the heating by generating our own?

Who's with me?
What, that? It's a spade.

Gracey xx
Formerly known as Woolhairhabbit

ShadowThrone

Post by ShadowThrone » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:53 am

:mrgreen: yay

I was slacking for a week but I'm back on it now. Cutting the mad cardio a bit, and doing more weight stuff.

Izzybeau

Post by Izzybeau » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:52 pm

I am also pulling my finger out this year and getting my lazy bum motivated. Target weight loss is 4 stone, Doesn't help that I sit down all day at work, which is starting to really annoy me! My OH has just ordered a weighted Hula Hoop for my birthday next week so I'm going to be doing that, some exercise bike work and also one of the dance games on the Xbox Kinect (Dance Central something I think?) which I haven't tried yet but Im not the most co-ordinated person so that will be fun haha :lol:
http://www.facebook.com/izzybeau.uk

(\__/)
(='.'=) OoOoOooohhh!!!
(")_(")

<<Miss_Sami>>

Post by <<Miss_Sami>> » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:45 pm

Golly not been on here for donkies, anyway...
I quite the Callantetics (sp? Can't remember how to spell it!) for Pilates once we got a carpet put downstairs, then started doing Zumba once a week.
Just before Christmas I was soooo pleased with how my belly looked.
Then Christmas happened. And as much as I haven't been really naughty; I've still exercised less and eaten more which has taken it's toll!
Back to the Zumba today and did pilates earlier on.
My idea is to get up an hour earlier each morning and do 50 mins of cardio before going to work, then do pilates 3x a week and zumba on Tuesdays, just until I am back where I want to be.
....We shall see how long getting up at 545 lasts :lol:
Sam-I-Am || Flickr || Tumblr

Return to “Noise - General Chatter”