Facebook - Page, group, or profile?

Forum rules
The' GENERAL CHAT- silly posts' thread will be locked monthly. The old thread will remain for access for a month and then be deleted. This is to remove information from storage that is old. If you need information from the locked thread please retrieve it before it is deleted.

Please be inclusive of everyone- this is an area for all members to chat and feel part of the community.

1) No trolling or posting topics with the intention of causing upset.
2) No swearing.
3) No abusive or derogatory comments about any group of people based on their look, beliefs, morals, religion, sexual orientation, gender, race, ethnicity , profession or country will be tolerated.
4) Keep 'angst' style posts to a minimum.
5) Keep topics PG13 - we don't have to be all nice and sugary, but nothing too graphic please.
6) *If you are asking where to buy something or asking where to find an item please post in Want To Buy- not here. This may also apply if you are looking for product information that will lead to indirect promotion.

(Remember you need to abide by the 50 posts/30 day rule in Want To Buy)
Jane Doe

Facebook - Page, group, or profile?

Post by Jane Doe » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:15 am

I've been using fb for a while as an online presence, in the form of a page.
But since the recent changes, I'm starting to wonder if maybe it isn't the best format.....

They've taken away the ability to see if someone has commented on a photo
(unless I trawl through all my pictures manually)

People aren't able to contact me privately, and I'm unable to contact others privately

So I'm considering making the switch to a regular profile
Any thoughts why I shouldn't?
jungle dread on the facebooks

IKickShins

Re: Facebook - Page, group, or profile?

Post by IKickShins » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:27 am

There's a friend limit for regular profiles (I think 5,000). I'd go with a profile unless you expect to ever exceed that amount; if you do think you'll hit 5,000, probably better to go with a fan page so that you don't have to switch over and redirect people when the time comes.

You can use this site to search for comments on fan pages:
http://www.fbviewcomments.com/photo-comments/

Groups are better suited for common interests (like a group for wool dreads) rather than a single person or businesses.. they're closer to a message board then a profile.
I Kick Shins - Now stocking olive green, pistachio, & neon purple kk jumbo braid!
IKS @ Etsy - Clip-in streaks & top hats galore!
Facebook - You know the drill ;)

starlotus

Post by starlotus » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:16 am

I have myself tagged in all of my page photos so I get notifications if someone comments; the no-messaging thing is very annoying though. I have it posted in several places on mine to contact me at my business email, on etsy, or on here.

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:45 am

I have a profile. for the very reason of not knowing of someone had commented on something, there is a 5,000 limit on friends & apparently it's in "da rules" to only have 1 facebook profile, but I kow myself as well as a few other sellers have fbook profiles, personal & hair ones. It does depend on your name as to whether they'll allow it though. Mine was fine (It's gotta sound like a name)
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Socially awkward since 1982
Decimation Fashion
Tumblr
Formerly known as DreadstarMonstar

Gracey

Post by Gracey » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:36 am

I have a personal profile, which is strictly my real-life friends and family, and also a profile under my working name for my customers and folks I 'know' through my work.

I do also have a fanpage, which I don't enjoy, can't get to grips with, actually forget about most of the time. I'm considering removing it because the simple fact that I don't see the comments until way too late makes me look far more flakey than I really am. I would go with a profile, for sure. I don't really know much about groups, exact that I get added to them willy-nilly and can't seem to get out.

Originally, I signed up for that profile under the name Woolhairhabit Manchester, which was not questioned. I have never had any issues with having two accounts; I reckon as long as you use different email addresses you should be fine.
What, that? It's a spade.

Gracey xx
Formerly known as Woolhairhabbit

rivetlicker_

Post by rivetlicker_ » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:07 pm

I'm getting kinda fed up with the way they run things, on personal levels. Their privacy is flawed and leaky.
They only want to help businesses that pay them to advertise. It's not really a business hub, but christ, they could at least try and make it easier for smaller end businesses (such as ourselves) to promote our stuff.

Jane Doe

Post by Jane Doe » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:12 am

Well, I guess someone was listening!
Just today, they've upgraded pages so that image comments do appear in a page's notifications.
That makes things a bit easier....
jungle dread on the facebooks

Gromidez

Post by Gromidez » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:59 am

Maybe I'm backwards but I noticed on my facebook "fan page" for my business that I wouldn't get notified if someone posted on the page until the recent change. Now I can choose to log in as the fan page or my personal page. When logged in as the fan page, I get notifications about the page and the comments left on the updates, pictures or wall. Which wasn't possible before. I'm much more pleased with it now.

One of the downfalls of making a regular page for a business presence would be that people have to wait to get accepted as a friend, so anything that may be hidden or them leaving a message isn't possible until you add them. Whereas on a fan page they just like it and it's on their feed now.

You still have to contact people on your personal page if you need to through facebook, which does suck. But overall I think the new page layout is much much better than previously.

rivetlicker_

Post by rivetlicker_ » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:29 am

Gromidez wrote:Maybe I'm backwards but I noticed on my facebook "fan page" for my business that I wouldn't get notified if someone posted on the page until the recent change. Now I can choose to log in as the fan page or my personal page. When logged in as the fan page, I get notifications about the page and the comments left on the updates, pictures or wall. Which wasn't possible before. I'm much more pleased with it now.
Ohh, now I get it! I thought you only got notifications via email and shizzlelizzle.

Gromidez

Post by Gromidez » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:36 am

rivetlicker_ wrote:
Gromidez wrote:Maybe I'm backwards but I noticed on my facebook "fan page" for my business that I wouldn't get notified if someone posted on the page until the recent change. Now I can choose to log in as the fan page or my personal page. When logged in as the fan page, I get notifications about the page and the comments left on the updates, pictures or wall. Which wasn't possible before. I'm much more pleased with it now.
Ohh, now I get it! I thought you only got notifications via email and shizzlelizzle.

I DO get email notifications now that I've switched to the new layout.
But it's also the regular notifications in the little pop up But you only see the page notifications when you switch to be "logged in" as the page.

angeleyes90

Post by angeleyes90 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:35 pm

Return to “Noise - General Chatter”