The accent and dialect thread!

Forum rules
The' GENERAL CHAT- silly posts' thread will be locked monthly. The old thread will remain for access for a month and then be deleted. This is to remove information from storage that is old. If you need information from the locked thread please retrieve it before it is deleted.

Please be inclusive of everyone- this is an area for all members to chat and feel part of the community.

1) No trolling or posting topics with the intention of causing upset.
2) No swearing.
3) No abusive or derogatory comments about any group of people based on their look, beliefs, morals, religion, sexual orientation, gender, race, ethnicity , profession or country will be tolerated.
4) Keep 'angst' style posts to a minimum.
5) Keep topics PG13 - we don't have to be all nice and sugary, but nothing too graphic please.
6) *If you are asking where to buy something or asking where to find an item please post in Want To Buy- not here. This may also apply if you are looking for product information that will lead to indirect promotion.

(Remember you need to abide by the 50 posts/30 day rule in Want To Buy)
crazyisalive

Re: The accent and dialect thread!

Post by crazyisalive » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:00 pm

I have a pretty terrible "Down Easter" New England accent. We use a lot of 'wickeds', and tend to drop the 'r's quite a bit. ex. Bar Harbor, "Bah-Hah-Ba", Bangor, "Banga", etc. Lol. :D Not everyone around here has one but I was raised by a terribly french family..
" Not all who wander are lost."- Tolkien

cyberxelf

Post by cyberxelf » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:16 am

well im American i was born in New York but raised in Florida. but my accent is sound more kinda California sounding. I use a lot of British words since my mom is British, also sometimes my new york accents jumps in and out its really weird. I also use words that you would find in the southern U.S. like Y'all.
I've been mistaken as a Californian, Hawaiian, and Canadian. :i6:
"I will be your noise"

Gracey

Post by Gracey » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:27 pm

My accent jumps all over the place, depending on how and where I am. My phone voice is quite well-spoken and clear but it can disintegrate into a Manc-twinged north-eastern accent or a north-east twinged Manc accent. I too get mistaken for a Geordie, particularly when I am angry. Or drunk! But I'm not a geordie, either.

My man also has an accent that jumps around as he was born in Manchester but his family is scottish. I do have the embarassing habit of 'catching' strong accents by osmosis... I have returned home from work with a faint whiff of Scouse about my words before now and when I used to live with a Frenchman, it was often easier to make myself understood if I pronounced some words the way he would.

I definitely sound a lot different to my kids, who laugh at me for pronouncing film as fillum and poor as pooer.
What, that? It's a spade.

Gracey xx
Formerly known as Woolhairhabbit

bluexeon

Post by bluexeon » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:56 pm

Im from Barnsley, South Yorkshire so unfortunately that makes me sound like the true, stereotypical dumb yorkshire person. I do say words like darnt and gunna and cockerspadger. Things have other names here, i.e. spuggie (garden sparrows) and bobbies (police men). There many more.

Personally, i love my accent, however, i hate hearing myself and other barnsley people talk on the telly. I work as a secretary at our local hospital. The doctors i work for are from all over the word and tell me that they have found it soooo difficult fitting in around barnsley because of the amount of slang words we use.

Nothing has an H pronounced in it here. Things like ouse, orse, amster. Nothing has an H lol.

Also, unfortuantely, most of my family did work darnt pit lol.

Bomber

Post by Bomber » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:00 pm

Cockerspadger is my new favourite word.

rivetlicker_

Post by rivetlicker_ » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:34 am

Bomber wrote:Cockerspadger is my new favourite word.
Agreed xD

Miss Liberty

Post by Miss Liberty » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:17 pm

Bomber wrote:I really, really, REALLY want a Cajun accent. They're so sexy.

a good friend of mine can turn his cajun accent on in a split second. When he does, I can't help but grin ear to ear. it is just so much fun to hear him use it.

whorror

Post by whorror » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:29 pm

kurokawaii wrote:Apparently I am posh, I was born just outside of Leeds and now live in Sheffield. Lived in Hull for a while but thankfully didn't pick up the accent, they don't pronounce H's!

So yes, my husband thinks I am posh, I just think I'm Yorkshire!
Haha! I've only lived in Hull for a year and a half and I have the dreaded H-less accent already! I used to be posh! ): ahah!
ⓑⓞⓝⓔⓢ ⓞⓕ ⓑⓐⓑⓨ ⓓⓞⓛⓛⓢ

Moody108

Post by Moody108 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:50 pm

i didn't think York had an accent, until I moved to Leeds and had the piss ripped out of me for it.

"where are you from?"
"york."
"ohh,, Yaaaaark" (with nasal voice)
Never trust someone who's gonna live forever, they don't have enough to lose
Formerly known as kikky_lou

whorror

Post by whorror » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:36 pm

kikky_lou wrote:i didn't think York had an accent, until I moved to Leeds and had the piss ripped out of me for it.

"where are you from?"
"york."
"ohh,, Yaaaaark" (with nasal voice)
haha I love it when people do that! My friend in Bristol teases me about that ;p
ⓑⓞⓝⓔⓢ ⓞⓕ ⓑⓐⓑⓨ ⓓⓞⓛⓛⓢ

XdeathbettyX

Post by XdeathbettyX » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:34 pm

I have quite a strong accent. I live and was brought up in Stockport,5 minutes away from Manchester city centre,but it's still classed as Stockport. So I guess most people who live in the north of England can tell its Stockport not Manchester,even though there is little difference,I suppose Stockport accents are a little bit less nasally than Manchester ones. I don't pronounce my 'T's' at the end of a word though,and I say 'muh' or 'mah' instead of my,and I don't pronounce 'h's,like 'have' is 'av'. My Mum and her side of the family are from Liverpool though,so I say 'I' like them,sort of stretching it out a bit.

Put it this way,I don't sound anything like the Queen,and nothing like a cockney. Cuz most people tend to think that those are the only 2 English accents xD

I suppose you'd have to listen to it,but I might make a YouTube soon so you'll see what I mean xD

Raetron

Post by Raetron » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:59 pm

fustmuffin wrote:
Love Bunny wrote:
Its strange for different areas here because we all have our own slang, I don't know anyone outside of here that calls a cob a cob ! (what other people call rolls, barms, baps etc type of sandwich) And I don't know anyone else thats not from Nottingham who knows what mardy means or "having a mard" :lol:
Ay up me duck!! I'm from Nottingham too!
Sorry to quote from so long ago but when I moved to Croydon and bacon was in a roll I was the most frightened I have ever been.....COB IS A COB, and fizzy drinks are pop!!!!!

Having said that my housemate is Czech, and her boyfriend and I are bringing her to the dark side (of the Midlands)

Inka-Dinka-Dooo

Post by Inka-Dinka-Dooo » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:30 pm

I live in pennsylvania,Pittsburgh,U.S
I really don't have an accent,But up north where i live we tend to say youns guys instead of you guys.
Also alot will pronounce pittsburgh [Pix-Burgh]
I love the brittish accent,It's cute!!!.But i have a hard time understanding some words.
Expecially Ozzy,I CANNOT understand half the stuff that he says,He mumbles is words.
Do any of you that have uk accents or aussie acents like the american accent?
Always wondered that. ^__^

rivetlicker_

Post by rivetlicker_ » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:14 pm

I apparently sound Canadian. I am an Aussie o.0
Maaaaaateee.

IKickShins

Post by IKickShins » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:09 pm

I have a "valley girl" California accent. I didn't realize it until the first time I went to the midwest and everyone made fun of me :P "Dude," "like," and "totally" are major parts of my vocabulary.
I Kick Shins - Now stocking olive green, pistachio, & neon purple kk jumbo braid!
IKS @ Etsy - Clip-in streaks & top hats galore!
Facebook - You know the drill ;)

Vicsarina

Post by Vicsarina » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:22 pm

ikickshins wrote:I have a "valley girl" California accent. I didn't realize it until the first time I went to the midwest and everyone made fun of me :P "Dude," "like," and "totally" are major parts of my vocabulary.
Minus "Dude" and add "Oh my god", and you have me. Even the woman that interviewed me asked me about my American twang. How embarrassing.

I blame TV. I really do.
*Rule Obsessor*

IKickShins

Post by IKickShins » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:31 pm

Vicsarina wrote:
ikickshins wrote:I have a "valley girl" California accent. I didn't realize it until the first time I went to the midwest and everyone made fun of me :P "Dude," "like," and "totally" are major parts of my vocabulary.
Minus "Dude" and add "Oh my god", and you have me. Even the woman that interviewed me asked me about my American twang. How embarrassing.

I blame TV. I really do.
Haha, I abuse "oh my god" too. And "I know, right!" is a good way to agree with someone else's "oh my god" :D
I Kick Shins - Now stocking olive green, pistachio, & neon purple kk jumbo braid!
IKS @ Etsy - Clip-in streaks & top hats galore!
Facebook - You know the drill ;)

Return to “Noise - General Chatter”