First Synthetic SE dreads, need advise

Critical observations about your technique for installations, wear or use.
Forum rules
1. Stay on topic. Be specific and to the point.
2. Be polite. Flaming and personal attacks may result in a ban.
CheyenneLeHale

First Synthetic SE dreads, need advise

Post by CheyenneLeHale » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:32 am

These are my first synthetic dreads. I like them, but they totally need more work, and I would love some advise.

I'm working on dreads for two different sets, since I have a horrible habit of never working on just one thing at a time. One Black with Pinks, and the other Black and Purple mixed. The main issue with the appearance of the purple/black mix would be the fiber I used - the purples are silky kanekalon, and I'll have to either switch to jumbo braid, or find a better way to mix them in. (I'll end up trying both when I order more hair)

I also apologize for the image quality. Photo tips would be greatly appreciated. (Although I'm pretty sure that I need to upgrade my camera, since it's over 8 years old, and only 5.3MP)

Mkatsi

Re: First Synthetic SE dreads, need advise

Post by Mkatsi » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:25 pm

Silky is hard to work with!

Looks like you've done a good job on your first set!! From the looks it seems like you could do with a little more back combing, but you've got nice uniform dreads in width and mostly in length! Some of your ends need working with, but these are often the hardest part :3 keep it up!

CheyenneLeHale

Re: First Synthetic SE dreads, need advise

Post by CheyenneLeHale » Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:12 pm

Thank you:)

I know, my back-combing technique isn't the best. I picked up a few different combs to try out. I figure I just need to make a few hundred dreads and I'll get the hang of it eventually lol.

Any advise on working with the silky fiber? I'm going to try and sort of thread it through a pre-backcombed dread prior to sealing, and see if that works. Trying to backcomb it with the silky mixed in was just too messy.

Return to “Hair Critique”