Third set of twisted, super thick, and a transitional!

Critical observations about your technique for installations, wear or use.
Forum rules
1. Stay on topic. Be specific and to the point.
2. Be polite. Flaming and personal attacks may result in a ban.
poxabomination

Third set of twisted, super thick, and a transitional!

Post by poxabomination » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:05 pm

Hey guys :) I'm working on another set of dreads inspired by the female Eclectus parrot

This page has the specific picture I was looking at: http://www.parrots.org/index.php/encycl ... us_parrot/

Granted, I could only use what colors I already had, which were red, tomato red, and cobalt blue, but I definitely would have added some different blues and perhaps cherry red if I had them available. Oh well.. I think I did quite well with what I had. Anyway, pictures!

A picture to show thickness (they've since been resealed and are less loose)

And then here is my first semi-successful attempt at a transitional! I almost want to put this in the show off sections just because I'm so damn excited I finally made one almost right :lol:

wtfffff.... I thought it was just facebook but none of my pictures want to show up right-side up on ANY website. That picture is saved right-side up on photobucket and on my computer, I have the tab open and I'm looking at it right now 0_o I don't get it.

So, what do you think? As far as color scheme, sealing, etc? These turned out pretty fuzzy and I found the loops harder/less neat because of how much more hair I used. I also had to use silky red for all of the blends, and the contrast in texture between that and the jumbo braid was a little weird to backcomb evenly.

Thanks guys :i2:
"Distant beavers sound the alarm"

"Its not stylish if you look witty."

FrankenBabe

Re: Third set of twisted, super thick, and a transitional!

Post by FrankenBabe » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:13 pm

These look great! I would have added some purple and orange maybe, but thats just me :) congrats on the transitional, i still have difficulty with those too.

poxabomination

Post by poxabomination » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:19 pm

FrankenBabe wrote:These look great! I would have added some purple and orange maybe, but thats just me :) congrats on the transitional, i still have difficulty with those too.
Orange and purple would be lovely! Not necessarily identical to the bird but I agree it would be really nice. I definitely wish I had some deeper purple/red :(

FrankenBabe

Post by FrankenBabe » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:38 pm

Oops, didnt notice the pic :oops: theyre great anyways

rivetlicker_

Post by rivetlicker_ » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:12 am

Naww, that's such a pretty birdy <3

The dreads look great. I have no critique (except maybe use your thumbs a tiny bit more to get those stray hairs tucked in). Show off section, now.

Librarynerd

Post by Librarynerd » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:31 am

Lovely! Thick dreads are my favorite. You should make your OH a male Eclectus set.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/jeanween23

XXXX I used to be disgusted. Now I try to be amused. XXXX

poxabomination

Post by poxabomination » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:52 am

Librarynerd wrote:Lovely! Thick dreads are my favorite. You should make your OH a male Eclectus set.

:lol: Oh my god that would be adorable! Not many people would 'get it' but I'd be pretty smug, hehehehe. You're onto something ;)

Goffy_lucc

Post by Goffy_lucc » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:46 am

When will you learn to show off in the show off section *pats you on the head*

Gorgeous colours, though.
~Louie <3
Facebook | Tumblr

Find funky hair and jewels at~
Etsy | Facebook

NirvanaMarie

Post by NirvanaMarie » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:41 pm

They look lovely!

CryptiquesBizarre

Post by CryptiquesBizarre » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:49 pm

They do look really nice but I'm curious what you mean about the transitional being semi-successful? It looks pretty darn uniform and great to me.

..::AtomicLox::..

Post by ..::AtomicLox::.. » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:54 pm

Julia! You have shown so much improvement, it's been really fun to watch. :P
I love the shape of these. I saw one that maybe needed like a teensy bit tighter backcombing right in the middle, but it could easily have been the angle of the photo.

Love! Show off. Now.
The mind and hands behind Imp And Petal dreads!

http://www.impandpetal.etsy.com
http://www.facebook.com/ImpAndPetal

poxabomination

Post by poxabomination » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:07 pm

..::AtomicLox::.. wrote:Julia! You have shown so much improvement, it's been really fun to watch. :P
I love the shape of these. I saw one that maybe needed like a teensy bit tighter backcombing right in the middle, but it could easily have been the angle of the photo.

Love! Show off. Now.

Thanks so much to everyone >.< It always brightens my day to see everyone telling me I'm not failing :lol:

And just out of curiosity, which picture has the one that might need more backcombing? There is one dread that's bright red with a tomato red candy cane, and the tomato red ended up looking like a shadow and made it like the dread is really badly helixed :s At least in my opinion. So if it was that one thats why! If not I'd still like to know which one cause I'd like to improve on it!

And about the transitional... it DOES have a bump but it doesn't show up well in the picture... maybe less of a bump and more of a narrow part. I can feel it!

CryptiquesBizarre

Post by CryptiquesBizarre » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:12 am

poxabomination wrote:
..::AtomicLox::.. wrote:Julia! You have shown so much improvement, it's been really fun to watch. :P

Love! Show off. Now.

Thanks so much to everyone >.< It always brightens my day to see everyone telling me I'm not failing :lol:

And just out of curiosity, which picture has the one that might need more backcombing? There is one dread that's bright red with a tomato red candy cane, and the tomato red ended up looking like a shadow and made it like the dread is really badly helixed :s At least in my opinion. So if it was that one thats why! If not I'd still like to know which one cause I'd like to improve on it!

And about the transitional... it DOES have a bump but it doesn't show up well in the picture... maybe less of a bump and more of a narrow part. I can feel it!
:lol: You're doing so well though!!!! I agree with AtomicLox. DOOOOO EEEET

PrettyDreadful

Post by PrettyDreadful » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:13 am

Very pretty & vibrant <3

..::AtomicLox::..

Post by ..::AtomicLox::.. » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:18 pm

poxabomination wrote:
The one with your hand under it... which could easily just look that way due to the shadow, cause in all the other pictures they're all solid-looking.

Transitionals are hard, and mine STILL don't always come out perfect! You're doing great!
The mind and hands behind Imp And Petal dreads!

http://www.impandpetal.etsy.com
http://www.facebook.com/ImpAndPetal

poxabomination

Post by poxabomination » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:21 pm

Ah the one with my hand under it was loose... I resealed them all since then, I had a hard time getting them sealed all the way through D: They were perfect and then overnight as they relaxed they got loose again so I had to seal a total of 3 times >.< This time I think they're good! Thank you ^-^

Lamie

Post by Lamie » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:46 am

I really like these! My favorite is the dread farthest to the right in the top pic. It looks almost purple, although I'm not sure if that was your intention, but I love it anyway. :)

fuzzzilla

Post by fuzzzilla » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:13 am

I am so, so sorry to necro, but these are fabulous, and your inspiration makes me smile. This single post has cemented my intention to become an active member of this community. When I saw that these were inspired by the plumage of a female eclectus (My mom is a parrot person!), I knew I was home. I'm currently wearing self-made Luna Moth dreads, and working on an Elephant Hawk-Moth set. So thank you very much for making me decide to come out of hiding! <3
And I promise that my first pointless necro will be my last. :i10:
"Do I contradict myself? Very well, then, I contradict myself; I am large -- I contain multitudes."

-Walt Whitman

Return to “Hair Critique”