Help me Mohawk please

Critical observations about your technique for installations, wear or use.
Forum rules
1. Stay on topic. Be specific and to the point.
2. Be polite. Flaming and personal attacks may result in a ban.
Skookums

Help me Mohawk please

Post by Skookums » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:39 am

I'm havi ng some trubble getting my hair to look right. I have the mohawk style cut with bangs, but I just can't make it work DX. \
Here are some examples Of what I'm trying to do. Any advice or old links or anything XD would really be helpful <3 please and thank you
Boo!

Dreadie_Lover1

Re: Help me Mohawk please

Post by Dreadie_Lover1 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:37 am

Hello

I had mine like that most of the time, I did it by;

Drying my hair with a hair dryer but in the direction I want the mohawk to go, like the left you would dry it to the right and the right you would dry to the left so it goes in that direction, just gives a nice base to start with.

Then I got my hair in a comb at the ends and sprayed lots and I mean lots with hair spray (it lasts a few days with little maintenance) and dry with the hair dryer. I did this a lot on the roots to keep it up. Do this all over!

and your done... Obv you will have many different ways to do this once everyone has posted thier way but this was just mine.

OT. But that first picture is lovely! Something really sexy about it.
"You're Different?!" *Werid Look*..'MEH'... "Darling We're All Different, You Just Don't Have The Balls To Show The World... I Do."

iddylove

Post by iddylove » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:10 am

lots and lots and lots of backcombing. useing some thickening gel/mouse when blowdrying can help to roughen up the texture a bit too. bigsexyhair root pump is really good. then starting at your roots backcomb to get your base, so the backombing can be looser and wispier towards the top like in the photos you posted. lastly, tonnnnnss of hairspray. good ol aquanet will be your friend here.

Dreadie_Lover1

Post by Dreadie_Lover1 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:51 am

Oh yeah sorry I totally forgot about the back combing!

I would go with what iddylove said as the pictures seem more of a soft mohawk and mine wasnt.

:D Let us know how it goes
"You're Different?!" *Werid Look*..'MEH'... "Darling We're All Different, You Just Don't Have The Balls To Show The World... I Do."

poxabomination

Post by poxabomination » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:34 pm

Those are definitely backcombed to hell and back, not just stood up and sprayed. Thats how I used to do mine but I've always wanted to try backcombing, especially as mines so long now. Once I take out my current dreads I was gonna have a go at it, if you don't get your answer by then I'll tell you if I get it right, and how!

TwiggyDevour (your second pic) is on the forums here, perhaps you can try sending her a message and asking how she did hers.
"Distant beavers sound the alarm"

"Its not stylish if you look witty."

VixenSingsBlack

Post by VixenSingsBlack » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:35 pm

I'm thinking tons of backcombing mixed with hair spray at every stage to add texture and knottyness, just as the other ladies have said. I'm sure it's an art, and more damaged hair would work better for this as it tends to "clump" better.

ChaosFollows

Post by ChaosFollows » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:52 pm

Well I may as well add my way :)

I start with a little bit of some sort of matt clay stuff, just to make it a bit scuzzy and easier to knot up.

Then I back comb it to death and hair spray it. I tend to spritz a little hairspray, then backcomb to hell and back then hairspray again to fix it. If your hair is long i would dry the hairspray with a hairdryer :)

Its all trial and error...keep at it! Mohawks are the way forward.
"The attention just encourages her."

My Etsy Shop: ChaosFollows
My Facebook Page: ChaosFollows on Facebook

justapuppetonastring

Post by justapuppetonastring » Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:17 pm

Sit on the edge of your bed with hairspray, a hair drying and a comb. Stick you r head between your legs and back comb the hell out of it. Then spray and dry the spray with a hairdryer on hon. I found this to be the best way and mine was hugeeee.

Skookums

Post by Skookums » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:20 pm

thank you all for the help I will try all these ways and let you know what way ended up working best for me and my hair. Thank you so much again <3
Boo!

LevanaMalum

Post by LevanaMalum » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:40 am

I currently have a mohawk but I do not have bangs, I blow dry then flat iron my hair (remember to use heat protector) then I backcomb it well and smooth it out and then tons of good hairspray. I don't mind mine being stiff to the touch, it might be harder to get a good non stiff hairspray to work for this if that's what you want. Good luck though! :)

Return to “Hair Critique”